Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
Hello folks, just had a though about getting some graphic Van wrapping done. Anyone done this or had costings done. I see some nice car wraps around and wonder if a company could do maybe a huge union jack flag that would wrap the whole van.....:winky:

Would you have to tell the DVLA as in affect your changing the colour of the van and your insurance company???

I wonder how long they would be colour fast for before starting to fade out?

Any thoughts:Blush: anyone?

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I am interested in this so will keep an eye on this post, I fancy it as I could then get rid of the nets I use for some privacy.

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
The guy in the house next door has his own business and had his Renault Master LWB van completely wrapped two years ago. It is still totally as good as it was when new. It cost him £800 when he had it done, but I think it would be a bit more now. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi we have a member on here that did his own van (cannot remember who) but he bought the wrap off ebay. Think it cost about 200 quid for the lot.
Trez you can put films/tints on glass windows but not on the plastic ones :winky:
terry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I had my car done.. £350.. but given the size I think the info is pretty irrelevant ! :roflmto:

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Attachments

• DSCN1069.jpg
    DSCN1069.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 284
  • DSCN1068.jpg
    DSCN1068.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 281

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Hi we have a member on here that did his own van (cannot remember who) but he bought the wrap off ebay. Think it cost about 200 quid for the lot.
Trez you can put films/tints on glass windows but not on the plastic ones :winky:
terry

That's want them for, the rear lounge Windows!
Haven't found anyone to do them to plastic Windows.
Saw one in France, I have a picture when I figure out how to insert them.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
When I had the graphics done on my van I was told that they wood look good for about seven years then would start to fade. You see some of the older Union Jack minis fading now so I would guess that's about right.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Terry and tez.
I done my windows for added privacy on my adria.
I used the same Halfords stuff and they came out mint....

The windows were plastic....

Just another case of not believing all that you read. ..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Paul I have the loo window done in a frosted film without issues but the other windows I did not do because I had another van done and it bubbled slightly and looked a bit of a mess, so took mates word that it's not advisable to do them -he's been tinting and teaching to tint for more than 20 yrs, He said he could would tint them but no gtee if it bubbled so decided against it :Smile:
how long did you keep van for Paul ? After tinting ? As I said no issues on loo window after 7 yrs
terry

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
There's a guy nearby and he does a lot of the Sky and motorsport vans with their liveries, animals, forests etc. His own van looks totally transparent, yep you see him in it from both sides and the traffic the other side - the most weirdest things you will see, on first glance it looks like a guy on a seat floating down the road. He has done a VW van that was a total underwater scene, that was fantastic, complete with dolphins.

He has done a MH where he did something quite plain but so effective - the lower half on the MH was done as a forest with animals camouflaged in, you could see hundreds of animals but you really had to look at it to see them.

I believe he designs the 'wrap' with the customer on the computer screen with your van that you view from 360' before commitment. I think he then prints the wrap and fits it himself. I should be able to pop in and find out how much this sort of thing costs.

Recently he did a truck and the cab was done in an all Viking scene.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have done a DIY vinyl wrap on my tatty old van to tart it up.

For a plain wrap to tart up an old van it can be done DIY with a bit of patience, good prep and 2 people are preferable.

To do graphics or to do a real pro job it is definitely not DIY.

The colours start to fade the instant you put them on the van. However this is not noticeable unless you put a fresh piece of vinyl against the stuff that has been on for a year or two.

As for getting it off. Very very easy. I redid the first panel I covered 2 years ago and it came off in one big piece no problems.

Some pictures on this blog entry.
http://www.fulltiming.info/self-build-motorhome/vinyl-wrapping-van-part-2

Last edited:

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Hello folks, just had a though about getting some graphic Van wrapping done. Anyone done this or had costings done. I see some nice car wraps around and wonder if a company could do maybe a huge union jack flag that would wrap the whole van.....:winky:

Would you have to tell the DVLA as in affect your changing the colour of the van and your insurance company???

I wonder how long they would be colour fast for before starting to fade out?

Any thoughts:Blush: anyone?

We had this on our previous Rapido and then again on the James Cook.
Hardly a 'wrap' but same principle.
The first one was cut out and you put it on like a transfer. This one is just an A4 sheet.
Unfortunately it is fading and discolouring but it has been on the van for over five years so we'll be changing it soon.
I'm surprised more people don't have logos or avatars on their vans!
Mike and Annie:Cool::Smile:

Attachments

• Sturt1.jpg
    Sturt1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 34

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
We had these done and put on the back of our van.

Attachments

• March-April 2013 080.jpg
    March-April 2013 080.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 25
  • March-April 2013 078.jpg
    March-April 2013 078.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
4matt

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
The spray painting thing isn't really what we had in mind the wrap can give better protection in some areas and also is IMO a better finish than Painting a design.

The Union Jack thing SWMBO has said NO! but would like a country landscape affect with hills and sky above..... Maybe I shouldn't have opened this can of worms.

I like the Bus wrap this snake.... SWMBO doesn't.

Food for thought though isn't it. Thank you for all the replies.:thumb:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
The spray painting thing isn't really what we had in mind the wrap can give better protection in some areas and also is IMO a better finish than Painting a design.

The Union Jack thing SWMBO has said NO! but would like a country landscape affect with hills and sky above..... Maybe I shouldn't have opened this can of worms.

I like the Bus wrap this snake.... SWMBO doesn't.

Food for thought though isn't it. Thank you for all the replies.:thumb:

Matt,
now here is one that will appeal to some on here, not too sure about your SWMBO though. :roflmto:

images

Trikeman. :Blush:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
would the club sites consider a vinyl graphic wrap to be the same as a sign written van? as they dont allow them on their sites

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back