Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Anyone got the growler or similar they can recommend ? Or door clamps etc to prevent in future ? Even a cam of sorts ?
I use the wife. Cheaper, cleaner, and costs nowt to fit. (y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Scum bags,hope you can fix it soon and then back on your travels,good luck,regards Alf.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I'm excused for not knowing tho because I am both female and blonde :D
To be fair it's not an unreasonable question and until the introduction of airbags was no more than unscrewing a simple nut that held it on (as opposed to the simple nut that was removing it!:LOL:) It would then just be pulled off the spline on the steering column.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/articles/images/pullsteering/Photo5.jpg

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Another vote for deadlocks from me. They are neat and unobtrusive but quickly spotted by any potential thief. Make your van less attractive to thieves and hopefully they will move on to the next one .........
I appreciate the value of deadlocks but a good alarm also has a panic button.
When someone knocks on your van door late at night, sounding the alarm may be all it takes to scare them off

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i dont think you can fit thatcham approved security your self. For insurance protection it has to be fitted by a registered installer before the insurance companies give discount, so grommet probably did the right thing by buying the cheaper option to self fit

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
sorry to hear about the damage caused to you pride and joy,on the up side you still have your love intact and not been used or abused,need,s a little love and attention to put right, i/we [my sister ] have just got back from our travel,s posted earlier the sh-te i have had to deal with the latest [not counting losing one of my wheel trim,s near paris] was whilst in an aerie [my sister was in the shower] and i was off getting some water a nice french lady decided to drive her van into my scooter which fell onto the side of mt van ripping off my water waste pipe and damaging the valance [another little job to sort our] whilst ar benecasm a dutch guy [who lulled in that day[ told me he had had is tyre stabbed two guys on a motorbike whilst he and his wife went to have a look the other guy took his wifes handbag police told them it was a common type of theft,whilst at benedorm another gue told of a friend having his van stoned whilst a sleep [in morrocco] tariffa another chappie told of his german friend having object,s thrown at his van as they where traveling,[morroco] i/me and my sister went over on a guided tour verry nice even got to go on a cammel,what i an trying to say it,e not just this countey buit everywhere
morocco 2016 1363.jpg

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Anyone even comes close to our door at night and the proximity dog alarm goes off.
We do always lock the doors at night but don't always set the alarm

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Well that's CSI and PCSO visit done this morning. No prints, they wore gloves :madder: However, good news is that our van cannot be moved without a key, new vans like Jumbo can't be hotwired and obvs the immobiliser works a treat !!! All that's left now is to pay out a fortune to have the whole ignition barrel changed and a new driver's door lock. Gutted, but happy to still have him here. Wheel clamp looks great and hopefully a visible deterrent. Not professionals or they would have known not to bother the officer said. Looking at getting the Strikeback system as soon as we can.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I appreciate the value of deadlocks but a good alarm also has a panic button.
When someone knocks on your van door late at night, sounding the alarm may be all it takes to scare them off
Oh, we've got an alarm as well - Strikeback - the deadlocks are an extra deterrent.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Oh, we've got an alarm as well - Strikeback - the deadlocks are an extra deterrent.

For me the Deadlocks came first. Physical prevention for me always wins over Alarms after the fact. The fact that I have twice had alarms go off and no one reacted was enough for me to go without. However the ultra loud growler to me is not a deterrant it is a physical assault so classes as physical prevention. (y)

If my van was worth more I would definitely go for the van bitz solution. But only after I had the deadlocks installed. But I only paid £2K for my van and it is now falling to pieces :eek:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Why on earth did the potential thief try to hot-wire a modern vehicle? Without a connection to the diagnostic port (and the equipment and knowledge to use it) or the van key, hot-wiring wouldn't do a great deal.

They didn't try to "hot-wire" it. Forcing the ignition lock allows them to energise the ignition and overcome the mechanical steering lock without the key. You are correct that they would also need to program a new key into the immobiliser system to start the van, but there are devices on the market if you know where to look that plug into the diagnostic port and will fool the immobiliser system into thinking that a genuine key is present in a matter of seconds. Google Edilock and Simon Touch.

Another method, which still requires the mechanical lock to be physically forced, is replacement of certain components on the vehicle with a matching set from a donor car or van. The people doing this know exactly what they are doing, and with the programming devices mentioned above, you don't need to know a lot, just how to plug a box into the diagnostic socket, force an ignition lock and wait 10-20 seconds for an LED on the device to turn green.

Vehicles without mechanical steering locks, having start button ignitions and proximity keys are even easier.

There are locking diagnostic port covers available for many commercial vans now to try and prevent this type of theft. A lot of the commercial van lock suppliers can supply them and many hire companies are starting to fit them on their fleets.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back