Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have seen these being advertised.

10_security-fiamma-duosafepro_lg-01.jpg

I was wondering, would you not be as safe if you used two bike chains, threaded between the door handles?

Pros/Cons?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The factor that has put me off using any similar locking device on the cab doors is that it creates an extra difficulty should an emergency occur which necessitated using the cab doors to get out.

I can see that the risk of somebody breaking in through the cab doors would be raised when camping off-site but I've never been concerned when staying on sites/rallies/meets.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Those Fiamma bars are useless. Handbrake cable made to size with loop on each end and a padlock for when van is empty and a clip when you are sleeping. Cheap and simple.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You know, them locks that you see on some habitation doors that sort of turn down and lock, how do you get out if some emergency occurs , had nothing to do with them and always wondered.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Those bars work OK as a deterrent and are best used when you leave the van unattended. They don't stop determined entry, (especially so if they are fitted like they are in the photo) They can be removed very quickly should you need to drive away in a hurry. Heosafe locks are a MUCH better option but as they cannot be seen, don't offer much deterrent.

Normally if I'm parked up where I feel the need to chain the doors, I'm not sleeping:Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I don't have any cab doors, so don't have to worry about locking them. Regarding emergency exits, there are windows all around the van....must go on a diet :Doh:.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You have only got to look at the windows in mhs to see its a waste of time putting extra locks on the doors, you could be in most windows with a pen knife in seconds

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I have one of those bars, but have never used it.
Tried it "on for size", it looks like it will deter a thief in that there is a device in place.
We can fit as many security devices as we like, they are only deterents.
A determined, professional thief will get in given enough time.
Security devices in view may encourage a professional thief to go elsewhere, that's all.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I made one of my own with a length of wood with metal angle brackets on either end. In the middle of the bar is a webbing strap with a quick release clip connecting to another strap that's anchored to the driver's seat base. That way there's a deterrent plus the ability to get out quick.

Overnight the insulation's up inside the window so a would-be thief wouldn't see the bar and would have more difficulty opening the door. By the time they'd got past it the alarm would be sounding. If we're not in the van I put the bar across and run cable padlocks between the steering wheel and the driver's door handle, and between the seat arm rest and passenger door handle. The cables hold the bar tight down on both sides.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back