Van level

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by paul18, Mar 16, 2015.

1. paul18

paul18 Funster

On our 2nd site now and I have noticed when on level ground the front end is lower than the rear meaning I have to use the yellow wedges to get it horizontal. Is this normal with some vans? Ours is Ace modena. Sorry for another thread, getting used to our new baby!

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I've noticed it on several vans.. I imagine if it were fully laden it may level out .. ?

3. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Certainly happens on our AutoTrail and I'm sure our previous Swift was the same.
    Most of the time I don't worry about it being a tad down on the front and we are now quite used to it.
    If it was down at the rear however it would be a problem sleeping.

Richard.

4. maz

maz Funster

My van is slightly nose down which is how I like it. The shower drains better. :Smile:

5. Jeannette van den Oever

Jeannette van den Oever Read Only Funster

Here's a stupid question - why don't MHs come with corner steadies as standard, like caravans? I suppose they're too heavy?
    Worrying my name'll be mud on first outing, if the campsites aren't totally level. Planning on getting air suspension but need the smoke to clear a little on the credit card. :)

6. WillH

WillH Funster

Sounds like your van is on a Ducato chassis, most are these days, and the nose down attitude is normal. A slight slope on the pitch will level the van, otherwise, use levelling blocks. I believe the nose down attitude gives these vans good stability at speed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Corner steadies won't level a motor home..........neither will air suspension so keep the cc in your pocket and save yourself some money. :active:

8. paul18

paul18 Funster

Yes, Fiat Ducato chassis

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

correct..
    you can have them fitted to 'steady' the van.... some vans do move about a lot when your walking about.. but will not level it..

if you want to level the van without leveling ramps you can fit hydraulic jacks .. one at each corner.. many RVs have them,...arrive on site, press button.. down they go and .. presto.. you are level..

downside.. expensive, and use of payload

• Like Like x 1
  10. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Ours is the same. It seems to be a bit of an optical illusion as it always looks far worse outside than it actually is on the inside.

11. NickNic

We have rear steadies on ours. As @ScotJimland says they aren't for levelling it, just to keep it from moving around too much.

IMO they are a complete waste of time and I never use them (y)

12. Jeannette van den Oever

Jeannette van den Oever Read Only Funster

That's probably why we didn't get them as an option NickNic.
    Getting my gadgets mixed up! :rolleyes: Jeroen knows it's hydraulics - as if he'd trust me to choose the toys. :ROFLMAO:

13. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Ours is slightly nose down as well. We use the leveling blocks if we have to, doesn't bother us much now as it seems to be "normal" on Ducato based vehicles.

14. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Even with Goldschmitt springs on the front our van is still slightly nose down.

15. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

No, you were right. There is air suspension and there is air-assisted suspension. Full air suspension is expensive - £1.5K+ but they can be used to level the vehicle, just like you can with corner steadies on a caravan. Air-assisted suspension costs a few hundred pounds and is reported to give a smoother ride than the standard setup as they replace some solid rubber "bump-stops" with air bags. You can self-level with air-assisted if you have an on-board compressor, but the cheaper installations are just inflated using a garage tyre pump. My understanding is that the amount of travel you can get from air-assisted suspension is limited compared to full air suspension but I would not claim to be an ex-spurt.

It has been discussed here before and some folk have published handy guides on how they fitted air-assisted suspension. (Edit: See above!) What you can or cannot do on each MH depends very much on the base vehicle.

Air suspension: http://www.vbairsuspension.co.uk/en/page/applications/motorhome.html

Air-assisted suspension: http://www.rhinoinstalls.co.uk/airride.htm

Other suppliers are available - those are just what Google came up with. :) Ask on here for recommendations if you want to investigate further.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  17. NickNic

Using the table as a guide ours always seems pretty level inside even when the nose looks low.

I use the wineglass test: If it doesn't slide off the table the van is level enough (y)

• Like Like x 4
  18. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I don't think it is a fault. The front I believe is the correct ride hight and it is the rear which is too high! If you look at a modern car they often have air dams underneath the front bumper. This is to reduce drag and therefore improve mpg. The idea is to avoid a great gap underneath the front of the vehicle. Of course it could be argued on a MH you probably wouldn't notice the difference but if the front of your vehicle isn't hitting things then I would leave it alone. I actually like the slight difference because on a gently sloping site I can pitch in front or rear first as appropriate so the vehicle levels without the need for ramps.

19. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Bit of a shame though when you get a billiard table flat pitch and still need ramps

• Like Like x 1
  20. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

In ours the difference looks worse from the outside than it is in reality. On a flat pitch it would be level enough for us. Wine stay on the table, sink drains away. We do have the benefit in ours we can sleep either way round, so to speak.