Van insurance + Breakdown + Travel insurance! (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I'm having a morning with this lot! My van is due for renewal in a couple of weeks so I have been ringing around for a few quotes..... what a nightmare!

Anyway, it occurs to me that if I can get a good price on the van only then ADAC might cover the rest?

My van will need breakdown cover this time (2 yrs old) and we have also wondered about some form of travel insurance, However as far as I can tell, ADAC would include the basic stuff like repatriation in the event of a medical emergency etc.

So, do I buy all three? Inclusive van insurance and breakdown cover with separate travel insurance?

Or maybe just 'wing it' and hope the van doesn't break down or one of us gets taken ill? :eek:

Confused :confused: and needing help please:eek:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have insurance with breakdown cover. Have separate travel insurance via our bank account.

Not sure about repatriation with ADAC but sure there'll be someone along who already uses them.

Denise

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I use Safeguard. They cover the van here and on the continent (365 days European cover they tell me). They also provide within the premium breakdown cover home and abroad. For my van approx £300.00 I take multi-trip travel insurance from Insure&go for approx £80 (includes extra cover for existing medical conditions).

ps. I was on the receiving end of a thunder/lightning storm and was more than happy with the service of the breakdown cover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I use Safeguard. They cover the van here and on the continent (365 days European cover they tell me). They also provide within the premium breakdown cover home and abroad. For my van approx £300.00 I take multi-trip travel insurance from Insure&go for approx £80 (includes extra cover for existing medical conditions).

ps. I was on the receiving end of a thunder/lightning storm and was more than happy with the service of the breakdown cover.

Safeguard +1.
Another benefit is that they do not apply any weight or length restrictions.

Stef.

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
Hi we have a nationwide flexplus account for ten pounds a month we get European breakdown cover for both our motorhome and car and worldwide travel insurance included as well as 3% interest on balance and other benefits.(y)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Hi we have a nationwide flexplus account for ten pounds a month we get European breakdown cover for both our motorhome and car and worldwide travel insurance included as well as 3% interest on balance and other benefits.(y)
Sounds good but just had a look.
Travel insurance is for trips of 31 days only unless you pay extra and you only get the 3% on the first £2500.

Mike

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
ADAC every time.. ADAC PLUS for about £80..
(Phone numbers etc in a thread yesterday or the day before)
Mitch.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Breakdown cover is a now must for me...... always had it and never used it, was thinking maybe not renew, then on Monday disaster, both front tyres on the car at the same time. The car was recovered to our local garage, he wasn't there but I just posted the keys through his letterbox, the recovery driver dropped us off at home, I picked up the motorhome and off we went.

Our breakdown cover is with QDOS for the car. Top class service considering e live in the sticks. The van is part of the insurance at present.

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
ADAC for us as it covers Sue and myself in any vehicle, even as passengers,

Eric

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
So does ADAC really provide travel insurance?

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
[Qbelieve sTE="chockswahay, post: 1355603, member: 21238"]So does ADAC really provide travel insurance?[/QUOTE]
I believe so but never checked it out.

Eric

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
For recovery, myself and a few mates have gone for the RAC arrival policy, which covers you, and your wife if you want, for travelling in any vehicle, driver or passenger, and there are no weight or length restrictions. If you break down on your your way to your holiday, they will take you on to your destination, then recover you afterwards to your home or repair garage etc. You have to join camping and caravan club, for about £40. Then the RAC policy costs just over £80. I think they also do travel insurance as well. Vehicle insurance I have from Lancaster insurance

Dec 3, 2007
bristol
Funster No
MH
fiat autotrail imala 730
Exp
since 2005
WE are with nationwide, so many benefits for £10 per month, we recently did a carabean cruise the nationwide covers this! we could not find travel insurance to match ie, 12 months x £10 =£120, ( worldwide travel insurance much more.) also european break down for any vehicle, motorhome, car ,motor scooter, mobile phone cover for all in the household, extended warranty when your 12month gaurantee expires on household appliances, no brainer !!!

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
For recovery, myself and a few mates have gone for the RAC arrival policy, which covers you, and your wife if you want, for travelling in any vehicle, driver or passenger, and there are no weight or length restrictions.

AFAIK arrivals does NOT cover vehicles over eleven years old (Europe cover)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We have insurance with breakdown cover. Have separate travel insurance via our bank account.

Not sure about repatriation with ADAC but sure there'll be someone along who already uses them.

Denise

They offered me repatriation a couple of years ago when i landed up in A & E in Spain with my knee. Luckily i recovered ok to be able to drive. BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
For recovery, myself and a few mates have gone for the RAC arrival policy, which covers you, and your wife if you want, for travelling in any vehicle, driver or passenger, and there are no weight or length restrictions. If you break down on your your way to your holiday, they will take you on to your destination, then recover you afterwards to your home or repair garage etc. You have to join camping and caravan club, for about £40. Then the RAC policy costs just over £80. I think they also do travel insurance as well. Vehicle insurance I have from Lancaster insurance

Does that cover long stays in Europe. BUSBY.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We use the nationwide one as well :)

automedon

Free Member
Mar 22, 2013
Huddersfield West Yorks.
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter convers
Exp
3 yrs
try Scenic which is part of the SWINTON group, been 3 yrs. with them now, excellent service both in the UK and twice needed them in France (Breakdowns/Cracked Windscreen) cost £300 annually for our old Merc. Conversion.
Health/Travel Insurance through Halifax Bank Account

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Just looked at Insure & Go - once you are over 65 - their maximum trip length is 31 days! That applies even to their single trip cover.

I have tried most places for annual cover for us. A lot of them either won't cover my pre-existing, or want so much extra money to cover them it makes it ridiculous.

As I see it (and I am NOT recommending this!!!) the only time I would ever consult a doctor whilst on holiday, is in an emergency. If it is an emergency then the EHIC will apply since we only holiday in Europe. Any co-pay or cost of drugs I may need on an ongoing basis rather than as part of whatever emergency has befallen me is most unlikely to exceed the premium. (in 4 figures and I don't have anything unusual, so be warned!) Our trips are already limited to however long I've managed to get prescriptions for anyway; though the only thing I take at the mo that my life depends on is insulin (and usually have about 6 months supply of when we go away since I can get 2 vials on repeat) and whilst it's not dirt cheap by any means, a vial is less than £100 even in the US. Most of the other stuff is available over the counter in Europe anyway.

Whilst paying a few hundred a year wouldn't bother us, once it gets into 4 figures - whilst we may be able to afford it alright - it's dead money that you can never get back if you don't happen to use it. And we're not planning on using it !

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Crikey, I forgot I'd posted this :oops:

The greater risk when travelling abroad is repatriation. If you are taken really ill and can not be transported by road (MH?) the airlines will NOT carry you. This can lead to having an expensive air ambulance flight for return to the UK. This is an expense that can run into many thousands of pounds :eek: (I am an air ambulance pilot by the way).

I am not too worried about general health or indeed becoming ill enough to have to return home, BUT, the cost of an air ambulance is a cause for concern so this is the bit I am interested in.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I would recommend ADAC, thy do cover you and the vehicle and will repatriate both if need be. You must go for the top package to get that level of cover level of cover. ADAC have their own fleet of ambulance planes for repatriation a I understand it.

Whatever you do, whoever you choose to go with please DONT wing it. If you do you can probably be certain of a breakdown or illness, its not worth risking it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back