Van Conversions

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by MrJinks, Mar 30, 2009.

1. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

I have been looking and interested at this and wondered if anyone has any dealings or experience of their conversions. It looks a good package to me but others may know different.

Link here

They also claim that all electric power is supplied by a self charging inverter and leisure battery system.........is that feasable?

any comments would be appreciated

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

sorry but no experience with these converters but i dont see how they can claim "NO HOOKUPS ---EVER!"

the way it sounds is like perpetual motion.....inverter powers charger, charger charges battery, battery powers inverter, inverter pow...... it cant be achieved. (yet!!)

inverters are power hungry and it would mean starting and running the engine for a considerable amount time every day to top up the batteries or a very large solar panel.

also, their websites a bit basic and vague.

3. ginge61

ginge61 Read Only Funster

they look ok but as said a bit vague

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

A bit vague .. yes indeed, there is no technical spec,
    and it's odd that in the FAQs you can't view before ordering .. not impressed at all.

5. N Luyetund

N Luyetund Deleted User

Seems you also get a certain brand of washing powder included:

FREEVIEW & ARIEL ! :Rofl1:

Reminds me of the old adage, ...one chance to impress:Doh:

6. MrJinks

Thanks for your thoughts

I have found a similar conversion company HERE

They are offering the same sort of thing at similar money. At least they include electric Hookup. As already said the price seems reasonable compared to big name conversion cos but still woudn't want to part with £18k to buy a poorly fitted vehicle

Anybody know of other people/companies that would do similar sort of conversion that would be worth speaking to. Who might be able to show models already converted.

Garry

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  7. homenaway

homenaway Read Only Funster

We came across Shire Conversions at the Newark Show. Had a chat with them but no more details but the one they had on display looked well finished. I understand they are former IH Campers employees and based in Kottingley.

http://www.shireconversions.co.uk

Steve

8. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Hi

We had our van converted by two skilled fellas starting their own business that had been working for another company that does converting, we are very thrilled with what they done, we are hoping next for them to respray and do the graphics on it :BigGrin:

We had no probs with the DVLA, paperwork back in two weeks, rare I know

They will do as much or as little as you would like on your vehicle
    if any help pm me and will get a pic to you

champers

9. Losos

Losos Read Only Funster

Have to agree 100% with that and they don't seem to include the one most important piece of information where they are based!!

They talk about meeting a representative which probably means in your home, images of the typical double glazing salesman come to mind.

I think I will be very careful on them, I don't believe their 4 week delivery, the 'no hook ups ever' is just silly, and without knowing where they are (So I can visit the workshop and see with my own eyes what they can do) I would give them a miss.

10. Losos

Losos Read Only Funster

Garry, I am also looking to get a new MH and thinking seriously about a panel van conversion, my needs are bit different to what most people want so it seems the way to go. I'm considering:-
    Wyvern Leisure - Shepton Mallet
    NuVenture - Wigan
    Youngs - Milton Keynes
    All of them welcome visitors to their works and have demonstration vehicles available, have you looked at any of them ????

11. MrJinks

Losos,

Thank you for your comments. Your thoughts are mirroring mine and are ringing alarm bells at the thought of going any further with these people.

I have looked at other companies including the ones you have added. They certainly look much more reliable although of course dearer :Doh: Hence my asking if anyone has experience of them.

I guess that the old adage of "it it looks too good to be true, it probably is" might be relevant here.

I will try and gather more info before going anywhere near them for the time being.

thanks again

Garry

12. Kon tiki

Kon tiki Read Only Funster

Their statement of 'No Hook Ups' could mean they are fitting something like the Efoy Fuel Cell but I believe they are very expensive.

13. pappajohn

hi Ed,
    cant see where Garry got the info but he states they fit a 'self charging inverter'

that sounds like in my first post.....battery> inverter> battery > inverter>batte...................perpetual power.
    they should drop the comvertion side of the business and concentrate on marketing the power supply......rich within days.:Smile:

14. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  15. pappajohn

16. MrJinks

Thanks guys

think you might be right:thumb: