van conversions for tall people (1 Viewer)

stevie28

Free Member
May 16, 2014
peterborough
Funster No
MH
transit self build
Exp
hi all.
newbie question.
i am 6ft2" and am looking for a 6m van conversion that will sleep me and my missus comfortably.
my conclusions so far, are that end lounge with longitudinal beds will be best.
my dream would be a vantage sol, but my budget says NO!!.
i will have about 20-25k, and still want quality and reliability.
also it needs to be a four seasons van, so i can go winter walking in scotland.
the other vans i have shortlisted are autosleepers warick, autocruise rhythm, devon aztec.
are there any others out there?.
crucially in my price range.
we currently have a standard wheelbase transit, but it has a transverse bed, so i am sleeping with my head parked on the coolbox!!.
cheers.
steve.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I have the same problem so gave up looking & bought a coachbuilt but I recently saw a panel van with a transverse bed & "pods" on each side at the head & foot of the bed.:Eeek:
Can't remember what it was called though.:Blush:

Upvote 0

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I am 6ft 2in
We have an Autosleeper Sussex with 2 longitudinal beds to the rear lounge and find it very comfortable for 2
Just back from a 60+ nights trip and no complaints about anything
:thumb:Great van:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Stevie

Whilst you should be able to find some vans that have beds long enough for you, the main problems will be your budget and that many vans of the age you are looking at will not be well enough insulated for winter use, so it really depends on exactly what you expect of it and need it to do and if you are able to 'improve' it so it better meets your requirements. :Smile:

Upvote 0

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Stevie,

We have a Rhythm and have had a good look at the Aztec,
both have got external water tanks so wouldn't class as winterised but,
we have used ours to -8 over several nights and zero during the day.
Plenty warm enough inside, just have to be careful with the water tanks, we keep a large container inside for drinking anyway which also could be used to wash up and flush the toilet, tap open on grey into bucket, so removing the worry of the underslung tanks

Cheers
2dogs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
The problem might be the budget. The later autosleepers are winterized and their underslung tanks have heaters. The beds in the duo and Warwick xl are long enough for your height. Not sure when this started though.

We actually have the reverse problem, my wife and I are both on the short side and cannot reach the opening roof lights without a stool

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stevie28

Free Member
May 16, 2014
peterborough
Funster No
MH
transit self build
Exp
Thanks for the replies everyone, I did see a rhythm advertised privately that went for 22k, so hopefully more will appear.
I suppose water heaters and lagging can be retro fitted anyway, so as long as they are warm enough inside then that will be the main thing.
I will also be wanting to add solar aswell, which will give me something to do...:Sad:
Terry, your van looks nice, but I like the idea of an end lounge, that can be left made up as a bed, with room to move around the rest of the van.
This is why my shortlist is so short!!!:Smile:.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back