van conversions for tall people

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by stevie28, May 16, 2014.

1. stevie28

stevie28 Read Only Funster

hi all.
    newbie question.
    i am 6ft2" and am looking for a 6m van conversion that will sleep me and my missus comfortably.
    my conclusions so far, are that end lounge with longitudinal beds will be best.
    my dream would be a vantage sol, but my budget says NO!!.
    i will have about 20-25k, and still want quality and reliability.
    also it needs to be a four seasons van, so i can go winter walking in scotland.
    the other vans i have shortlisted are autosleepers warick, autocruise rhythm, devon aztec.
    are there any others out there?.
    crucially in my price range.
    we currently have a standard wheelbase transit, but it has a transverse bed, so i am sleeping with my head parked on the coolbox!!.
    cheers.
    steve.

2. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

I have the same problem so gave up looking & bought a coachbuilt but I recently saw a panel van with a transverse bed & "pods" on each side at the head & foot of the bed.:Eeek:
    Can't remember what it was called though.:Blush:

3. chrisboyo

chrisboyo Funster

I am 6ft 2in
    We have an Autosleeper Sussex with 2 longitudinal beds to the rear lounge and find it very comfortable for 2
    Just back from a 60+ nights trip and no complaints about anything
    :thumb:Great van:thumb:

4. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Hi Stevie

Whilst you should be able to find some vans that have beds long enough for you, the main problems will be your budget and that many vans of the age you are looking at will not be well enough insulated for winter use, so it really depends on exactly what you expect of it and need it to do and if you are able to 'improve' it so it better meets your requirements. :Smile:

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Steve have a look at this
    http://terryshbautocampers.co.uk/
    just finished and for sale 6' 3" bed with another 4 ins gap (pillows etc plus your feet can dangle up to the front seat giving extra 8 ins aprox :Smile:
    terry

6. 2dogs

2dogs Funster

Stevie,

We have a Rhythm and have had a good look at the Aztec,
    both have got external water tanks so wouldn't class as winterised but,
    we have used ours to -8 over several nights and zero during the day.
    Plenty warm enough inside, just have to be careful with the water tanks, we keep a large container inside for drinking anyway which also could be used to wash up and flush the toilet, tap open on grey into bucket, so removing the worry of the underslung tanks

Cheers
    2dogs

7. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

The problem might be the budget. The later autosleepers are winterized and their underslung tanks have heaters. The beds in the duo and Warwick xl are long enough for your height. Not sure when this started though.

We actually have the reverse problem, my wife and I are both on the short side and cannot reach the opening roof lights without a stool

8. stevie28

stevie28 Read Only Funster

Thanks for the replies everyone, I did see a rhythm advertised privately that went for 22k, so hopefully more will appear.
    I suppose water heaters and lagging can be retro fitted anyway, so as long as they are warm enough inside then that will be the main thing.
    I will also be wanting to add solar aswell, which will give me something to do...:Sad:
    Terry, your van looks nice, but I like the idea of an end lounge, that can be left made up as a bed, with room to move around the rest of the van.
    This is why my shortlist is so short!!!:Smile:.