Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
When I joined this forum a couple of months back I thought I might be able to retire early and this is now a reality. I didn't get as much as I'd hoped for though and am going to be on a tight budget when shopping for a motorhome.

I've mentioned a couple of times to my wife the possibility of buying a newer van and getting it converted, as opposed to buying and older motorhome. but she isn't keen. I would be interested to hear people's views on this and especially interested in hearing from anyone who has a converted van within about 40 miles of M6 Junction 11 who might be willing to let me have a look, as none of the dealers seem to have any we can look at.

Regards, John

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Advantages of a conversion like that is you can have it exactly how you want it. Disadvantage is when you come to sell it as it may be hard to shift, the dealers aren't keen on having them at all.

As a newcomer to motorhoming, I doubt you will get it right first time, so resale value may be important. Converting a van can save a lot of money, but normally only if you do much of the work yourself.

In terms of the age of the van, unless buying new, remember an ex commercial van a year or two old will have done more mileage and had a harder life than even quite an old motorhome.

TweetiePie

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Movano self build
Exp
on and off since 1968
Hi John, There is a van converter just moved to the garage behind Dobbies garden certre on the Shrewsbury by-pass at the A49 turn off, They used to convert VW mostly but now do conversions to any vehicle. They also do part conversions if you wish to do a bit yourself. Last time I went they had a few converted vehicles for viewing and now they have started to hire the vehicles they convert. The only connection I have with them is they made me a worktop for my home build. Salop caravans also have a converter who supplies vans to them but I don't know if they do one off conversions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Have a read on here it may give you some information

Link Removed

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I'd already thought about the possible impact on resale value and looking at vans on Ebay it looks as though anything which hasn't done over 2,000,000 miles isn't going to be cheap. I might just go back to looking for a decent private sale.

Cheers, John

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Give us an idea on budget.. maybe a member may spot something,.
Also look at sites like Preloved, Gumtree, usedwalsall....

If you need any local help I'll be back in Cannock a week on Sunday, 25 th march...
To busy at present having fun in the sun down here at Marjal...:thumb:

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Budget...what's that?

I can't really look seriously until I finish officially at the end of April, but my budget is going to be fairly low, around £6-8,000. If I go for the conversion option it will have to be done, or at least part done professionally, as DIY is not my strong point. I've looked at the 18 foot Hymers, but I'm sure I can get one cheaper than the dealers are charging, around £12,000.

At the moment I'm looking to see what is going for what I can afford, but around Easter I'll start looking seriously and put a deposit on something to pick up on the day I get paid out from work. I would prefer to find something fairly local, within about 50-100 miles so I don't have to travel far on public transport to collect it, as I have a date with several beaches in Dorset and Cornwall around then. ::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
wait till terry see's this , he has converted his own and done a fantastic job :thumb:, have a search for some of his post s , Link Removed

::bigsmile: Hi Bushtrekker and welcome :thumb: Firstly converting a van--- If as you say you are not very good at DIY then do not bother if you want a all singing/dancing nice van :Sad: I spent 7k on bits for my conversion,-read a little of what went into her
Link Removed you can of course buy a van and board it out,line it with carpet (more forgiving to get right) throw in a few B&Q cupboards and a Futon for a couple of grand plus the van.If you go for this option then come sale time your van (which will have given you lots of enjoyment) will be worth more or less the price of a van same yr etc IE if vans are selling for 4k empty then yours is worth that.
On the other hand have a look on ebay for people that advertise converting your own van and see there work/get a price :thumb: Remember itcosts the same to convert a 1k old banger as a 10k almost new van :winky: so you need to get price for converting and buy the newest van you can.:thumb:Then come sale time you should make money.:thumb:
8k will buy you a decent coach build van from Swift etc,etc, :thumb: that come sale time will not loose much money provided you do your H/Work and buy right.
Me I am handy so do not pay a converter and have made money from every van I have done--- Not 100% sure I will on this one because I have kept it for coming up 6 yrs :whatthe: but as things stands I would still like to think I may show a small profit :Smile:
I know where there is a Lunar roaadstar 630-yr 2000 for 9k that looks tidy but needs a new worktop and if I bought it new upholstery say 1000 quid tops :winky:
terryEDIT you are welcome to look at my conversion but it may be more than 40 mls

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back