Aug 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Hello,

Need some advice!

While camping last weekend, I played music through the car stereo for several hours. As I was on electric hook up it did not occur to me to check the voltage on the batteries as I assumed they were on charge through the hook up

Problem is, I now realise, ONLY the leisure battery is charged when on hook up. The stereo is connected to the car battery.

So the car battery was dead in the morning:Doh:

I am thinking of two options:
1. Connect the stereo to the fuse box next to the leisure battery (should be able to do this myself)
2. Connect the car battery to the charger as well.

I think the second option is better, but do not feel confident I can do this myself.

What do you think is best?

Many Thanks in advance!

St.Cyr

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
West Wales/Normandy
Funster No
MH
Merc self-build
Exp
On & off, 30 years ...
Ours is wired to the leisure batteries which are charged by a solar panel. No problems & dead easy to do. :thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Sam

Either would do, but if you can wire the car battery to the charger you will be able to make sure both batteries are kept charged through the winter months when not in use, if you plug in occasionally, a much simpler exercise.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi sam,

connecting your engine battery to the charger can cause other problems.

for example.....you flatten the leisure battery you also flatten the engine battery so you really are stuck without power.

the best way forward is a Battery master.

this is a little electronic gadget that diverts power from the leisure battery to the engine battery automaticly when the engine battery drops .5 of a volt below the leisure battery while on hookup.

The link cant be shown here (blocked)so type BATTERY MASTER in to your search engine. http://*********************/battery-master-p-32.html

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back