Bluebottle

Free Member
Aug 26, 2016
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
Soon.. a Transit Custom
Exp
a couple of years.. with a long hiatus..
Hello!

I find myself with an excellent opportunity for a 'career break' and as such am shopping about at the auctions for a 2-3 year old transit custom to do up and run away for a bit in..

Previously, I had a mkII transit van (v. cool, old, requiring welding, not v quiet etc etc) which was great in many ways, but I’ve decided that perhaps what I want is something a bit nice that can comfortably function as my daily drive, and convert it.

I’ve looked at already camper-ed stuff and it’s often over priced, or laid out weirdly.

So, I don't have a motorhome yet, I don't even have a van yet! But sooooon.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
welcome animated smiley.gif

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
image.gif
We met a Dutch couple on our recent travels who had converted themselves and had mostly used storage and cupboard solutions from IKEA. They had left the foam insulation on view and it looked really homely and of course completely customised for them. We have a new fully converted camper and I feel reluctant to even stick anything up let alone add screws for things. Wishing you good luck with your endeavours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bluebottle

Bluebottle

Free Member
Aug 26, 2016
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
Soon.. a Transit Custom
Exp
View attachment 121559
We met a Dutch couple on our recent travels who had converted themselves and had mostly used storage and cupboard solutions from IKEA. They had left the foam insulation on view and it looked really homely and of course completely customised for them. We have a new fully converted camper and I feel reluctant to even stick anything up let alone add screws for things. Wishing you good luck with your endeavours.

Thanks! I'm very keen to get going, it's just taking me a while to find the right base vehicle.. If I don't get one soon I'll go research mad! Hoping I will be able to learn from my previous experience, where I made a lot of work for myself making really fussy things that weren't necessary. I might use some pre-made ikea cabinets for some bits for sure. I'm trying to hold back on cracking out the welder or buying units until I get the van and can properly mess about with a tape measure and some cardboard cutouts...

OP
OP
Bluebottle

Bluebottle

Free Member
Aug 26, 2016
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
Soon.. a Transit Custom
Exp
Bigger is better. Mine's a Jumbo Transit and glad I got the biggest possible option.
Mine's going to be my daily motor and I want to be able to get into forestry car parks, parking spaces, etc etc. So much though I'd like the extra internal space, I'm going ot stick with the L1H1 custom and get an awning. Unless there's a fantastic deal on a LWB... hmm.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just a thought..

If planning to sleep transverse, fixed bed or otherwise, I believe the only van wide enough is the Fiat Duacto or Pug .. why they are popular for van conversions..

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I might use some pre-made ikea cabinets

domestic cabinets are heavy (this uses up precious payload, and decreases MPG ) and generally made from MDF .. and being box shaped, rarely fit where you need them, a van is all curves.. .. I made this mistake with the first van I converted.

better to construct with lightweight timber frame and marine plywood..

just another thought.. good luck.. you will need to subscribe in order to post more..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bluebottle

Bluebottle

Free Member
Aug 26, 2016
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
Soon.. a Transit Custom
Exp
domestic cabinets are heavy (this uses up precious payload, and decreases MPG ) and generally made from MDF .. and being box shaped, rarely fit where you need them, a van is all curves.. .. I made this mistake with the first van I converted.

better to construct with lightweight timber frame and marine plywood..

just another thought.. good luck.. you will need to subscribe in order to post more..

Ah ha! I wondered why I was suddenly stuck outside in the cold, pawing at the window..

Yeah I am going to make the major units custom, but they sometimes have some handy wee metal cabinets and such.

I'm tempted by the furniture ply although it's pretty thick at 15mm, I need to really think about whether there are situations in which frame and thin ply would be a problem..

OP
OP
Bluebottle

Bluebottle

Free Member
Aug 26, 2016
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
Soon.. a Transit Custom
Exp
Just a thought..

If planning to sleep transverse, fixed bed or otherwise, I believe the only van wide enough is the Fiat Duacto or Pug .. why they are popular for van conversions..

Yeah - no I realise that's part of the compromise for the more manoeuvrable van..
I'm not yet decided on rock n roll vs pull out bench, I need to play in the van itself for a bit. I've been good and not ordered a load of metal yet. :D

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us.
We bought this: - Amazon product ASIN 1845845242Not to build a campervan but to understand more of the technical side of owning a motorhome. It was extremely interesting. They gutted a caravan to get a lot of their furniture.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Bluebottle and a big :welcome3: hope you find the van you are looking for.
I love driving the transit base on our Challenger,was made in 2014 and we got it October last year,real pleasure to drive.

OP
OP
Bluebottle

Bluebottle

Free Member
Aug 26, 2016
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
Soon.. a Transit Custom
Exp
Have you considered a new van from someone like http://www.globalvans.co.uk/
There's always a cheap new/pre-reg van somewhere, Citroen/Peugeot/Fiat/Nissan spring to mind...
Yes, I have - but I'm set on a transit custom, and the pre-reg vans of the spec I'm after are 15.5-16+VAT

I've found a three year old one, 30k miles for 12+ VAT and I'm considering pushing the button on it..

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
I've just converted a mwb sprinter, permanent double bed, shower/toilet and a small kitchen units.

I used 12mm ply for anything out of sight or if it was going to be carpeted. For everything else I used lightweight 15mm laminated ply. Not cheap but immensely strong. Personally I wouldn't bother with ikea type units they're going to shake themselves to bits:)

Although this was a first for me I was still astonished at the man hrs and money required!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back