LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Ohh its all getting exciting on eBay with MoHo's appearing :)

Is there somewhere you can find current prices of secondhand MoHo's
If it was a car I know where to look but I'm stuck with a van.

This is for MoHo's being sold privately by the way and a good few dollars so want to pay a reasonable price.

Thanks

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I think that the pricing is always going to be difficult. The age condition and mileage will usually once over a couple of years old have a wide variation depending on the specifications and brand.
Ultimately IMHO if it's what you want and ticks the boxes then the price comes in the category of 'is this worth the money to me?'.
I have always tended to ignore the comparisons with what other similar ones have sold for due to two main reasons being
There is not (unless new) two the same and secondly that I would not be buying with the intension of selling it soon so over time if I did slightly overpay it would make no difference to the end term goal.
Don't rush but on the other hand don't miss the one you want.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We touted ours around a couple of dealers recently and one of them took it. Both looked in a trade price guide who's name I didn't see. Best guess is it was the MH equivalent (or chapter) of the car price Bible that the motor trade keeps close to its chest.

With eBay there's a built in BS filter called 'Sold Listings' - just tick the box to see what they actually sell for. I use it all the time for valuing other items.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Not sure if there is the equivelent of a "parkers Guide" but my rudimentary way was to look up Ebay for sold prices then take a little off for newer, add a little bit for mileage.
You really need to make sure you are checking exact van for exact van.
I would add 500 nicker for Gaslow or similar, 200 for solar panel. then you make your own mind up about general condition and i would have my own ideas what to think if there was a tow bar that looked as if it had been used.
Barring all that look to see what the price is in a dealers and take 25 per cent off !

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thanks for the replies.
As with most people you hope to get a bit of a bargain but don't want to insult the seller either.

I can't find the equivalent at a dealers at the mo but will keep looking (y)

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Use the Motor Home section of Autotrader to give you a guide what dealers and private sellers are asking for the make / model you are interested in..........simples

The Tincas

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
and just be aware of how many scams and con's will now be coming on the likes on ebay / Gumtree etc..

My usual method is take the make, model and year and do a websearch for a similar van.
You soon see an average sort of price range on other adverts, unless you get one that's very rare.

Maybe even post on her if your after something in particular as member are always browsing around on other parts of the web and may spot something. (y)

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Autotrader provides the best starting point imo but, like Ebay, there is no indication of the price that a MH actually sold for, only its last advertised price. The final handshake price is never revealed. Never use private adverts as a guide to price, in my experience, many live in cloud cuckoo land!

As a rough guide, take an average of dealer prices (bearing in mind mileage and 'good' vs 'showroom' condition vs 'marks consistent with age') and then deduct the VAT that a dealer has to charge (this is the bit where so many private sellers over-inflate value). Finally, knock off a couple of grand for the final handshake deal. That's probably going to give you a fair guide to actual value.

To advertise, add the couple of grand back, add minimal amounts for any special extras, bearing in mind that most buyers won't be particularly swayed by them. The MH that is a wee bit lower in price than another (subject to distance etc.) is likely to get the first call. Don't forget that a Dealer has to charge VAT, but can offer a Warranty as well. Warranties themselves vary enormously, with many companies bent on avoiding a payout. Dealers who provide their own warranties can be better.

Of course, when you find the MH of your dreams, all bets are off :ROFLMAO:

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
As a rough guide, take an average of dealer prices (bearing in mind mileage and 'good' vs 'showroom' condition vs 'marks consistent with age') and then deduct the VAT that a dealer has to charge (this is the bit where so many private sellers over-inflate value)

I thought motorhomes bought in the UK were VAT paid when new (unless claimed back by a VAT registered entity) and carried that status throughout its life.
To the best of my understanding, dealers have a complicated system to address the VAT payable on second hand motorhome/caravan sales which relates only to the profit element of the washed out deal (when all related deals are completed).

I believe it does get a bit more complicated with EU purchased vehicles as it depends on the fact that VAT was paid on the original invoice, the VAT was not reclaimed, the owner is a EU citizen and the vehicle has been in the EU for the previous 24 months. Or at least that is loosely how it works in the boating world with boats purchased within, or imported from outside, the EU.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I have posted a wanted in the for sale section (y)

I like to think I can spot a scam as I have been generally looking on eBay and always message the seller. I think the scammers tend to want you to call a mobile.

I'll do some more investigation tonight around the dealers re prices.

At the mobi have my sights on two Rapido and one Hymer both well over 30k :(
But you pays your money and all that.

Rapido 999 and 996 one two berth other four berth.
Hymer is four berth on a Fiat base I believe Rapidobis Merc with auto box

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
You may be right cornish boy, I wouldn't claim to be an expert. But my understanding was that the VAT applies to the VAT-registered dealer's sales and are not specific to a product. We bought a s/h MH in 2011 and the price included VAT. We later sold it back to the dealer and he resold it plus VAT. That owner sold it back to the same dealer who sold it again, plus VAT................or, at least, that was my understanding........... :confused:

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We have been looking for a replacement MH for a few weeks and have mentioned to one or two dealerships that ours was written off and we didn't know what to expect in settlement from the insurance company.
One of the salesmen took out a copy of Glass's guide and gave us all the prices quoted for our make and model based on age, mileage and condition.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
iirc, dealers only pay VAT on the profit of a sale of a second hand vehicle, not the full price.
so say they buy a vehicle at £15k, retail it for £20k, they make a £5k profit, and pay 20% VAT on the £5k profit, i.e (£1k)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
There is a , traders only, glass's guide for motorhomes, managed to get hold of one a few years ago, no longer have it and person who passed it on has passed on. Not very helpful i know, but When we part exed our last van got 3 different valuations, all used the book.

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
MHs are all over priced but seem to have low depreciation, if you are looking at late models research the cost new and you will find in some cases the value dealers are asking for 4 year old vans is the same as the new cost was but looks cheaper as the cost new for the same model has risen a lot. VAT is chargeable on all VAT qualifying vehicles, but it can be reclaimed if you are VAT registered on some vehicles not sure about MHs but can on a van but not a car. If VAT has been reclaimed it has to be charged again when it is sold but if it has not been reclaimed it will always remain VAT free and can not be charged again when sold. I better get back to work :)

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
You may be right cornish boy, I wouldn't claim to be an expert. But my understanding was that the VAT applies to the VAT-registered dealer's sales and are not specific to a product. We bought a s/h MH in 2011 and the price included VAT. We later sold it back to the dealer and he resold it plus VAT. That owner sold it back to the same dealer who sold it again, plus VAT................or, at least, that was my understanding........... :confused:

There is a huge difference in VAT Paid and VAT Payable as I am sure you appreciate. (y)

I would be questioning any dealer that was selling a second hand motorhome with a price that was either +VAT or Inc VAT (rather than VAT Paid) where the VAT appertained to the whole of the sale/purchase price.
The dealer would be absolutely correct in charging VAT on any extras you asked them to supply and/or fit at the time of purchase and the VAT should be shown separately on the final invoice.

I am not an accountant or a VAT man but my understanding is:

There are two main reasons why a dealer should charge VAT on a vehicle, firstly it was sold new and as a purchase tax, VAT was due on the whole of the purchase price including any extras.

Secondly, a vehicle was sold new to a VAT registered individual or business who claimed back the VAT as part of their day to day business activities. Then subsequent sales/purchases also took place with VAT registered business and at each point a VAT invoice was raised by the VAT registered seller and the VAT element paid by the VAT registered purchaser who then claimed back the VAT. This would in some instances include vehicles leased from finance houses as the vehicle belongs to the finance house and not the person paying the monthly instalments although it does get a bit more complicated depending on the type of lease/contract hire/purchase agreement.

However:

Once there has been a transaction where the VAT element of the purchase price has not been reclaimed, normally by the vehicle being purchased by a non VAT registered individual or business, either from new or second hand, then the vehicle will retain its 'VAT Paid' status (simply because the VAT hasn't been reclaimed). Because a non VAT registered individual or business cannot (legally!) raise a VAT invoice, then when they 'sell' the 'VAT Paid' vehicle back to a dealer as a PX on a deal, the dealer cannot claim any VAT back as they didn't pay any. That also means the dealer cannot charge VAT on the subsequent sale of the vehicle because the VAT has already been paid by a previous purchaser, but the dealer will owe VAT on any profit made from the transaction as that was generated as a result of their business activities.

It is a complicated subject and not as straight forward as I have painted above. For example, a dealer selling a brand new vehicle technically owes the 20% VAT charged on the purchase price to HMRC in full and not just the VAT on the profit. Likewise, With certain finance products, you may be required to pay the VAT element of the finance upfront.

Or at least that is how I remember it... :):):):)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Not sure if there is the equivelent of a "parkers Guide"
Yes there is

There is a , traders only, glass's guide for motorhomes
Duncan @ WildAx produced said little book when I was negotiating my part-ex, was quite surprised my old discontinued marque & model was in there...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back