Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Now this is going to seem real stupid, but no changes there.

Gearing up for our first trip tomorrow and I'm a bit confuddled.

I (believe) I have a thetford c-200 judging by the manual (I have a Rapido 9010DF). 2 main questions, I have read on other threads about filling the flush water tank. Do I have one??? I assumed that water would be drawn from the main water tank. Secondly, do I need to put anything in the cassette before use? I was planning on good old plain water and washing up liquid when it is getting used.

As a supplementary question - toilet paper, cheap one ply stuff, or can anything be used? I'm not actually planning to use the toilet but the kids and missus will.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
the flush water tank. Do I have one???

I doubt it. We have a 9090DF and don't.

Easy way to find out: Find your fresh water filler cap. Then see if you have a second one somewhere near the toilet locker. Then, if you do have two, make sure you know which is which. (y)

You will get lots of opinions on what to put in your toilet cassette. Nobody is right or wrong, you just need to find what works for you. At present, FWIW, we're using Elsan branded blue chemical only because it worked out at 25% the cost of the Thetford equivalent.

Toilet roll - same answer. Find the one that works for you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Not planning to? Bet you do!!!

Depends how spicy this chilli is that I'm making comes out!

I doubt it. We have a 9090DF and don't.

Easy way to find out: Find your fresh water filler cap. Then see if you have a second one somewhere near the toilet locker. Then, if you do have two, make sure you know which is which. (y)

You will get lots of opinions on what to put in your toilet cassette. Nobody is right or wrong, you just need to find what works for you. At present, FWIW, we're using Elsan branded blue chemical only because it worked out at 25% the cost of the Thetford equivalent.

Toilet roll - same answer. Find the one that works for you.

Nope, no 2nd filler (y)

So, I should put something in the cassette before use? If so, what can I find indoors that will be suitable (as I won't have the time to pick up anything tomorrow)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
So, I should put something in the cassette before use? If so, what can I find indoors that will be suitable (as I won't have the time to pick up anything tomorrow)

Yes. You need to put something in it.

Blue chemical if you have it and some water. If not then bio washing liquid works for some people and you can probably get that more easily than chemical. Which ever you use, you want a couple of capfuls and some water.

What you're looking for is something that a) keeps the smells away and b) breaks the solids down so it's easy to empty.

For us the blue works so we stick with it. If you use blue never ever empty it into anything that goes to a septic tank.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
And if it niffs empty it asap (actually empty it whenever you get the chance - every day if you are on site) but add another cap of bio-laundry stuff to mask the smell if you can't empty right off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Make sure you put SOME fluid in the cassette! Don't use it without, otherwise bowel contents will stick like s*** to a blanket!

If you haven't got time to get chemicals, at least put some bio washing agent in. You should also put in enough water to cover any 'matter'. Thetford normally recommend 2.5 litres of water + the tiny amount of chemical. (Some campsites don't like you using formaldehyde based chemicals).

If anyone uses the toilet for number two's, get them to put a couple of sheets of toilet paper on the 'slipway' :D That way, the pan won't look like a flock of starlings after use!

Upvote 0

LaMB

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Boston
Funster No
MH
Frankia i 640 SD
Exp
Since 2012
I've never found anything that breaks up solids - so we use nothing, but have a SOG that removes the smells. Empty regularly and that suits us. Andrex is fine. Develop a good aim, straight down the hole!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If anyone uses the toilet for number two's, get them to put a couple of sheets of toilet paper on the 'slipway'

We usually have some teenagers with us at music festivals at least once year. I normally give them two rules: 1. Sort your own sliders out. 2. If the light comes on to say it's full up don't leave it for the next person to deal with.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
expensive quilted bog roll doesn't break down so well and subsequently clogs up the internal mechanism of the cassette. not a job for those with a weak stomach to fix. stick to the cheap own brand stuff.....not as nice but prevents nasty problems
oh and ignore advice of putting water in the toilet bowl taking a dump then opening the hatch. again not pleasant results. open hatch, bombs away, flush, clean, flush and close.....saves everything from chilly gonads to shitty bum cheeks

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
oh and we use bio clothes washing liquid normally but halfrauds were selling off blue and pink at 75p a bottle a while back so I stocked up. worth watching out for deals

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Thanks all - make sure I will put some stuff in rather than going in dry..!

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks all - make sure I will put some stuff in rather than going in dry..!
Ky, vaseline or if in emergency axle grease or warmed up lard....nothing worse than going in dry

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
we use formil bio ..most important thing is tell others in the van when you have cassette out to empty have been used without...real sh..t of a job
if or with kids, when somebody uses the loo with the cassette out, kitty litter is your friend

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
Don't buy 'special' loo paper (very expensive). We do the 'Greek' thing and have a bin for paper and wipes (y)

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Your local MH shop or chandlery may well offer their own cheap bog standard (haha) blue loo fluid, so don't go paying a fortune to that Spanish company El San.

Sainsbury's Basics bog roll every time, or similar.

I agree with LaMB about developing one's precision bombing technique to save water - try using The Force like Luke Skywalker and fire it straight down the hole. Failing that, stick an LED headlamp to each buttock at a slight angle and hit the target Dambusters style.

16612_1.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Lol no - we're going to a show. There will be portaloos there. May need a cork on the Sunday though..!!!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Your local MH shop or chandlery may well offer their own cheap bog standard (haha) blue loo fluid, so don't go paying a fortune to that Spanish company El San.

Not by any means an exhaustive study but a few weeks ago I stopped off at a local "caravan store"

Thetford blue chemical £14 for 1 litre
Elsan blue £15 for 4 litres

I'm sure you can get both a lot cheaper elsewhere. Don't want to start a price war, just offering the comparison.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
True. Never had a toilet before so no hardship really... That said I am curious and slightly worried that it will all go wrong and guess who will be left sorting it all out!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Oh and btw - do I need to pour it all directly into the cassette or a bit of bio with water down the trap?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back