Using 'P'ark to hold MH on levelling ramps?

Discussion in 'Mercedes' started by Hagstrom, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Funster

Hi,

We have a 2009 Mercedes 518 with a 3litre diesel coupled to a fully automatic (not Sprintshift) gearbox. When using levelling ramps on the front wheels, I often use the P gearbox position to hold the van - without using the handbrake or wheel chocks.

Whilst I'm sure some might criticise this as somewhat casual or sloppy, it works, but does anyone know whether this can harm the gearbox?

Norman

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I had an auto many many moons ago and never used the handbrake at all, just put it in park. It locks the g/box completely and as far as I know didn't damage it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I always use chocks when on ramps, a point of interest in Germany any vehicle over 3.5T when parked on a slope must use wheel chocks, I don't know if this applies to any other European countries.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Good to know :) Thank you.

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I always use the handbrake with my Honda Auto CRV .. . I wouldn't trust just using the Park..

Googling threw this up

7. Leave the shift lever in park without the parking brake on.
    If another vehicle were to even tap yours at the front or back while you’re parked, it could cause the parking pawl to break leaving your vehicle to roll down the street unattended.

http://www.mistertransmission.com/best-ways-to-destroy-your-transmission

another site http://www.transmasterstransmissions.com/transmission.html

8.) Use your emergency brake when parking on an incline. Reduces stress on the parking pawl (pin) and linkage.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

If you could visualise the device holding the van I doubt you would trust it on ramps (think of a gearwheel with a small metal wedge in the teeth). The autobox parking mechanism also has a limit that, if exceeded, allows it to slip without damage to the box. I have never bothered with the handbrake in an automatic car or van when parking on (nominally) level ground but I'd definitely use it on a ramp or a steep slope on the road.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

& that is exactly why I leave my car in neutral here when parked as the Spaniards tendency to " shunt " between vehicles front & back whilst parking will shear the locking pawl off.

8. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Funster

Thanks all - have just applied the handbrake and will do so again in future if I can't use chocks!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

I agree with using the handbrake when parked, the parking pawl in the gearbox is taking all the strain otherwise.
    When I was MOT Testing, I failed a number of automatic vehicles over the years due to seized or innefective handbrakes, lack of use being the cause, the owners invariably said, "I never use the handbrake"!!
    I have an Automatic Merc190, and always use the handbrake when parked, even on the level, just to keep the system joints moving.

• Like Like x 1