Using motorways in Portugal

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by RogeTeri, Apr 10, 2012.

1. RogeTeri

RogeTeri Read Only Funster

Has anyone any experience of using Motorways in Portugal. In this last year they have introduced new and additional charging systems. Apart from the pay points at various locations on the network, there are now drive under gantries which take a photo of each vehicle as it passes beneath. I understand that Portuguese motorists are either charged automatically through an incar device or have to then go and pay the additional fees. Not sure how this works for non-Portuguese motorists? Any answers??? :Eek!:

2. SPUD'N'T

SPUD'N'T Funster

we've just returned from 3 months in Portugal, we went under loads of these gantry mounted camera systems..... no letters/fines etc on our return (so far !). we asked a brit who has lived in Portugal for the past 6 years about them and she seems to think that the system is not capable of tracking uk vehicles at present.

3. RogeTeri

RogeTeri Read Only Funster

This is what I heard for UK plates. I understand it is a different story for Spanish plates though, and they are complaining when they come over the border in the Algarve.

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

The whole system seems to be flawed at this time. Even those who have wanted to pay have found it so difficult the've given up. We used the motorways in Feb, so given Portugal government department efficiency we will expect a bill the day after manyana:Smile:

• Like Like x 1