Using mobile as a Sat Nav (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Just updated my old phone to the Microsoft Lumia 550. I realise it has it own maps but I downloaded a free app from Navmii. It says the only data used is on the map downloads and the sat nav function is free. At the moment i've only downloaded the UK and France maps to see how it performs. I did try it locally and it seemed to perform ok. In the vehicle section you can select RV and Lorry but no dimensions. I'm not that tech savvy ( age thing ) so has anyone had any experience of this app or is there any better ones I could use. Its just to be used as a backup to my Snooper. We are off to France on the 18th so will try it there. Thanks in advance.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I believe, to use the truck/rv facility, you must buy the 'paid for' version.
The free version is somewhat restrictive.

I downloaded the free app, tried it out then deleted it.
Inbuilt google maps work just as well.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Use either the iPhone or iPad. Voice directions and great sat nav :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I bought the full version only used in this country up to now.Had no problem with it.It seems do the job.I have a old Tom Tom which I keep as backup.you need to have the phone charging if you are going along way as it will soon flatten the battery.

?

Deleted User
Look at the Mapfactor Navigator also free what i think has a windows version. I feel its better/easier to use but the map storage in the phone is larger to try and move/run from your SD card if allowed in windows phones.

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
i am looking to buy a Satnav For Europe, all these posts above have screwed my head up AGHHHHHHHHHH, got one with the MH, I purchased second hand I want to update Europe on it only to find the company don't offer any new updates it was a good one as well a ProNav the want me to buy a new one, I will have to sell the wife to pay for it, in fact if you knew my wife you would want me to pay you to take her of my hands, her broomstick comes free with her at no extra cost

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I use my I phone 4s with 64gb capacity and a tomtom downloaded for about ÂŁ39 for most of Europe and has been fantastic also get free updates every few months so always up to date. Also got tomtom USA/Canada and seperate Tomtom for Greece also free updated best satnav and cheapest I have used but no sizes but that's ok. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
thanks for you reply, I have to buy a phone mine is a old one PAYG, don't you need to put the height, width, length of your motorhome in, ? after driving my truck under a bridge in a French village a few years ago I get paranoid over things like this, heck I was on 2" to high, not to much damage thankfully, i had the Height in feet not mts, oh well worse things happen at sea i can tell you that from experience :whistle:

Last edited:
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Garmin 760 Camper. I was tipped off to exaggerate weight on the preferences section, and once above 3.5T it would work perfectly. So far it has. But expensive

?

Deleted User
thanks for you reply, I have to buy a phone mine is a old one PAYG, don't you need to put the height, width, length of your motorhome in, ? after driving my truck under a bridge in a French village a few years ago I get paranoid over things like this, heck I was on 2" to high, not to much damage thankfully, i had the Height in feet not mts, oh well worse things happen at sea i can tell you that from experience :whistle:

I bought a 2nd hand samsung galaxy just to use as a sat nav. Just under a 5" screen and only cost me ÂŁ60. I use hooky sat nav software but with mapfactor or navfmii you can do a lot worse. BTW, you can keep the wife i have my own thanks and you need a bloody sat nav just for those wonky brooms.

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
she been using my old Tomtom on her Broom I think she messed it up . :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun