Using MH in Freezing Weather....any advice ? (1 Viewer)

Ian

Aug 6, 2014
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since feb 2010
Oh thanks chocksaway & the caller. looks like thats what I will have to do. Trouble is we do not often have an EHU. It just so happened that we went to an Xmas meet over the last Christmas & EHU's were not available. Although thankfully we did not have any problem at the time. It was only when we came back we found out about the water dumping. I was not sure how the batteries would cope with the heater on all the time during winter even though we do have a solar panel. we have two 90amp batteries I think..

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
@Ian We have been staying in our van for a few weeks in Aberdeen and the temperature outside has been very low during the day (3 to 4c) and below zero at night. We have been heating the van with convector heaters (on EHU) but to stop the water dumping we simply leave the heater on 'water only' 24/7. Over the last 18 days our gas consumption for cooking and keeping the water boiler (therefore the dump valve) warm amounted to 0.77 litres per day..... cheap:)

Where about in Aberdeen are you ??? Thought all sites were closed

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Private site ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We leave our heating on all the time, even when we aren't using the van. The residual heat in the Truma boiler stops the valve dumping water, but we have the frost valve fitted anyway. We also have underslung tanks, but they are insulated and have frost heaters in them.
Been away in -10 and the frost heaters didn't even come on, I assume as the tanks were over half full and insulated, they kept well above the -3 needed for the heaters to operate.
As to ventilation, we have 5 roof vents and 6 side windows. I understand they all ( except the hab door window) have built in vents ( I think this is a requirement on newer vans) and we don't need to open the windows unless we are too hot.
Don't forget your snow chains and generator!
Allan

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Thanks for that. I just had a look at the manual and you are correct, it is 7deg before you can fill. but there is a spare part heating element (about £35) that you can install which heats it to 10deg meaning I assume you can heat to above 7deg so you can fill earlier. If you have heating on within the van does this stop the freezing whatever the weather outside?? at the time it did drain on the drive we were not using it so it did not matter but just wondered if we were away & lost all our water suddenly it would be a bit of a blow.. I did not realize you could use the heaer without water though so that is a benefit.

Been Ski ing in the Alps several seasonn`s now 1995 Hymer with no hook up 110 amp battery, i threw away dump valve and never had any problems with water tank or heater. You do need to stop any draughts as if pipes freese this may cause them to crack. ensure that you have good insulation, bubble wrap i have found useful

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
I can understand it coming down but how the hell did you get it up on the chairlift??:whistle:
images

Here we go, most have snow chains. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My Adria is winterised. The water pipes to the kitchen and toilet area are run next to the hot air ducting for the Truma heating. If I keep the heating on, even at its lowest setting they do not freeze.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
My Adria is winterised. The water pipes to the kitchen and toilet area are run next to the hot air ducting for the Truma heating. If I keep the heating on, even at its lowest setting they do not freeze.

Same as our Chausson.
Its a method employed by many Continental manufacturers who don't crow on about the NCC's b*****hit Insulation grades!
In extreme winter use, the heater and boiler really are the beating heart of your motorhome. Without them, you are living in a gloryfied tent!
When the going gets tough, you HAVE to keep that heating on 24/7.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Are silver screens the only way to go or is there a all in one cab cover you can pull over it with door flap ? Trying to decide which thermal cover to get for our Hymer. Spoke to the supplier guy about the ones that trap the corners in the window /door and I'm not convinced they don't cause a leak. Any thoughts?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Are silver screens the only way to go or is there a all in one cab cover you can pull over it with door flap ? Trying to decide which thermal cover to get for our Hymer. Spoke to the supplier guy about the ones that trap the corners in the window /door and I'm not convinced they don't cause a leak. Any thoughts?
We've only ever used the silverscreens ( cleckheaton) for our mh's. We had another made for Pug. They are the ones that trap in the door frames. Great quality , well with the price. Keep the heat out in the summer too.
We've been as low as -16 in the old van. Never had a problem. That was when there was 2 adults , 3 teens and 2 dogs ! No condensation.

The lowest it got was only -6 last weekend in Hawes. Our first low temp test in our new PVC. " Pug "
We both sleep naked, use duvalays, and don't leave Windows or vents open. We do have Webasto diesel heating though. Which is left on all the time. On a thermostat. We actually turn it right down when we're in bed as it gets too warm! We had to do the same at the weekend too.
The lowest it got inside Pug was 18deg . Ralph has a gadget which measures the highest /lowest reading. He has put as much insulation as he possibly could in Pug. Everywhere.
Kingspan, lambswool slabs, and foam gun. Even all the doors , are thickly insulated, where lots of manufacturers skimp. So once we are in and it's warm. It really holds the heat.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Apologies I know I started another thread on this topic.
I guess my question is about cab covers all-in-one and if they will substitute for silver screens. But on research the cab covers look thin and are for long term protection when the van is stored for long periods and have no door flaps.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I spoke to Ckeckheatons last week and he was trying to convince me about these window flaps that hold the screens on.
The other Sheffield place that fits them for you sounds great but you have to go there to have them fitted which I don't want to do really.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have a look at this Thread, I posted some pics of genuine Hymer screen, in my opion better & cheaper than after market ones, no trapping screen in windows & door required, as you say with possibility of leak. Seen a few reports of that type causing leaks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back