Using Levellers on Your Own

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by JackieP, Aug 14, 2015.

1. JackieP

JackieP Funster

So, yes, one of those things that come to you at 3am when you're toddling off for a wee, trying not to think about anything that might wake you up and suddenly wonder…

how am I going to use the chocks on my own?

So, can it be done and any hints?

2. trekkin

trekkin Read Only Funster

Hi

Could try parking the van then placing a object, or pointer in line of site ( maybe a pole that lines up with the bottom of the windscreen. Then look where the levellers are required, place then by the side of the wheels at the appropriate place, reverse back move the levellers in and drive forward to your mark onto the levellers

Takes a it of practice but achievable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Just position them. Drive onto them then get out and have a look. I usually check for myself anyway even when 'er indoors is outside signalling that we're level.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

It is something I often do. Line everything up and then I open the drivers door and take a visual marker (or use something as mentioned in trekkin's post) and drive onto blocks - Simples!!
    A bit of practice and you will have it mastered. Just a word of caution though, don't over do it, damage can be done to the underside if you go off the top of the ramps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

If I were on my own I would try to park so I can use the leveller on the front drivers side (so either raising the front or drivers side of the Motorhome). Then I would reverse onto the levellers with the drivers door open so I can see I am not going to drive off the top. I would have to find somewhere in the front to put the spirit level so I can see it though as we currently use the rear table.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

You'll get a feel for how far up the leveller you are from the engine revs. Just don't go blindly too far:(

• Like Like x 1
  7. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

It's not an exact science really.. we prefer being slightly nose down (means the sink and shower drain easier.
    We
    Find flatest point to park .. check with level (or glass of water) or using just eye.
    Decide best position for ramps if req
    Reverse or drive slowly onto them.
    Re check

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

An easy way..
    Get someone to assist ( as in watch the bubble ! ) to get it level the first time.
    Use some playdough or similar to attach the bubble on the dash somewhere it can be seen from the drivers seat and afix. ( by using playdough you can attach it in a level position by having said dough thicker on one end or what ever .. the point of attachment does not have to be flat )

I never rely on anyone when driving up them anyway.. it is just the 'is it level yet' side of things ..

• Like Like x 2
  9. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Drive onto them then get out and have a look. Simples.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

I always open door and lean out to see where wheels are as I saw brand new van overshoot the big milenco 4 level ramps ouch I couldn't bear to look at the damage that must have been done .

• Like Like x 1
  11. JackieP

JackieP Funster

Excellent stuff - thank youse!

Love the idea of the play dough to get the bubble machine to sit level and also using an external point for reference.

I've never overshot the top level, somehow I think I'd get a feel for it if I did and I'm not anal about having it perfectly level, only level enough for the water to drain and the fridge to light.

Thanks all!

• Like Like x 1
  12. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

If you use Milenco quatro or Triple levels you can feel the wheels going into each position. We have small cross level stuck on kitchen work surface.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Popeye

Popeye Funster

That's pretty good advice but just look at Mr Colpot's Avatar, he thought that was level!.......:imoutahere: :wink:

• Like Like x 3
  14. JackieP

JackieP Funster

Hahahahahahaha!

15. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

Using Levellers on Your Own?
    Easy peasy, just press the auto legs down button.(y) :LOL:

• Like Like x 2
  16. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

I've always done it on my own. Much easier than trying to interpret the advice given by 'helpers'! :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I am guessing your main fear is driving right over the top? We have Millenco Quattro and by the time you are at the top of them you feel so high you will definitely have stopped !! In fact I have got out convinced I must be perched on the very top due to how high it feels and only been on the third level. As previously said they have quite pronounced dips at each of the set levels

Just take it steady, put ramps against the wheels don't take a run up, make sure they are straight, get out and check part way, you will soon sort your own best way I am totally confident (y)

• Like Like x 1
  18. lorger

lorger Funster

Sit a dogs squeaky toy on the top level, open drivers window and drive until you here the squeak.:):)

• Like Like x 6
  19. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Check your level with spirit level on kitchen worktop to decide which wheels require levelling.
    We have one of those small triangular levels which shows both axis.

If your lucky the wheels that require raising will be the front ones so you can just watch from the drivers door how far you need to reverse, if not place the ramps behind the wheels, (I always reverse up the ramps) with your drivers door open mark out on the ground behind the front wheel the full length of the ramp with a stone or anything else you can find, this will ensure you don`t driver over the top of the ramp.

A little practice will gain you the knowledge you have to reverse up the ramps to gain the level you require.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Done it a few times just go carefully, I don't recommend reversing onto ramps, with the high reverse ratio modern vans have it's puts a hell of a loading on the clutch.
    I don't bother with a level, if it feels level it is level.

• Like Like x 3