Using Gas Bbqs Bought In Usa (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am looking for a new small gas BBQ to plug into my BBQ point on my motorhome. We are off to the USA soon to visit daughter and can buy BBQs (or grills over there) a lot cheaper than here with a lot more choice and have been looking at some that take 16oz disposable propane cylinders

Anybody used these? How easy are they to change to fit onto the BBQ point rather than use disposable canisters?

It looks to me like the heat control knob also acts as an HP regulator - does that mean it is not as simple as just finding an adaptor and hose to plug it into my LP BBQ point?

Any help appreciated please

PS sorry about title but can't use words on capitals in title!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Most American bbqs are high pressure meaning the regulator is on the bbq, not the bottle.
Easy to see, compared to ours they are ugly and large.

As for converting a canister to a hose, I'm not convinced the burners are set for 30mb so the hose pressure may be too high.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks, that is what I thought, hence the question.

But I am not looking for a large one, and they do plenty of small portable ones for tailgating as they call it. This Broken Link Removed looks good and is small and light enough to store easily. And a bargain at £26.

But, as I say, it uses small disposable cylinders, which I assume are at high pressure are they?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Go to Lowes or Home Depot they've got stores in most towns.
You'll get a massive range and choice of bbqs and gas bottles.
Thats all we did.
It wont cost much in comparison to rip off Britain.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Go to Lowes or Home Depot they've got stores in most towns.
You'll get a massive range and choice of bbqs and gas bottles.
Thats all we did.
It wont cost much in comparison to rip off Britain.
I know and that's what I am going to do. The link in my previous post was to a Brinkmann one in Home Depot, which has a branch only about a mile from where our daughter lives.

I want to buy it and bring it back to the UK for use with the motorhome. But the question is will it work by plugging it into my BBQ point? The portable ones are built for use with 1lb disposable propane cans. I can get the cans over here but they cost ££££££. And it looks to me like they are at high pressure and the combined regulator and gas jet is used to bring it down to the low pressure. I can buy a hose to connect to their refillable propane bottles and I can cut the end off and put on a bayonet fitting. But I think that just takes HP gas to the regulator, and my BBQ point is LP. So not sure it will work for what I want.

Choice and price over here is crap compared with in the USA - they have a huge market because with the summers they have most people spend most of the time grilling outdoors.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Oh sorry didn't understand.
Don't know the answer as we travelled the USA for nearly 4 years and when we finished left everything behind.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just had a look at the Brinkman site, looking on the spare parts the regulator, control knob & connector for the gas can are a single unit. The photo is not clear enough to see the regulated pressure perhaps your daughter could go and have a look or email them and ask the question. If it is around 30mb (probably have to convert from imperial) you could probably diss the regulator fit a gas tap for control and connect to you BBQ point. Other option would be to "T" into the high pressure side of your gas supply.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just had a look at the Brinkman site, looking on the spare parts the regulator, control knob & connector for the gas can are a single unit. The photo is not clear enough to see the regulated pressure perhaps your daughter could go and have a look or email them and ask the question. If it is around 30mb (probably have to convert from imperial) you could probably diss the regulator fit a gas tap for control and connect to you BBQ point. Other option would be to "T" into the high pressure side of your gas supply.
Thanks. I can check for myself once there on pressure. I looked at Brinkmann site too and the trouble is it appears that the regulator also includes the jet for the burner and am not sure if I can take that off and then attach it to a gas tap. And then I have got to find a way of supporting it.

Just hoping somebody would have done it already and be able to tell me how to!! Or be able to tell me that the 1lb canisters were low pressure anyway so did not need further regulation, in which case I know how to deal with it I think.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am assuming you are flying, have you the luggage allowance for the BBQ and do you think they will let it onto the 'plane even if it looks new? They might want a "gas free" certificate.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am assuming you are flying, have you the luggage allowance for the BBQ and do you think they will let it onto the 'plane even if it looks new? They might want a "gas free" certificate.
Yep no problem with luggage. Spent all my Avios on business class so up to 3 cases for each of us in the hold. Last year brought back a Weber cart for BBQ in its original box and just wrapped in polythene. No problem with that so keep my fingers crossed for this. But it will probably be able to fit into one of our cases anyway and wrap it in dirty knickers.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yeah didn't stay 4 years in one go had the RV for 4 years used to spend approx 6 months a year touring. Over 4 years did all the lower 49 and nearly 60000 miles.
Sounds good. If only I could persuade my wife. Trouble is daughter does not have a big enough drive for us to park an RV on. Where did you store yours when not being used?

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Google is my friend. It seems the standard pressure for propane appliances in the USA is 27.4mb. That sound pretty close to the 30mb in use here, so I suspect that things should work OK as long as I can solve the connection problem, which I think I should be able to. The crucial thing is being able to unscrew the jet from the regulator. I will buy one and see if I can do that while I am over there. If I can't I can always take it back and get a refund. Always gobsmacks me how willing they are to take things back even if they have been used.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Having both regulators in line won't affect the burner - the one on the stove will regulate to 27.4mb whatever the input pressure. You should be able to simply connect it to your BBQ outlet without any modification.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back