Jun 9, 2009
Dover, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since April 2009.
Hi All :winky:

I seem to remember a thread about using the fridge on gas, but can't find the thread. I would like to use the fridge on gas whislt wild camping, but do not want to run out of gas overnight. It is a standard size fridge with a small freezer compartment inside.

Your help would be greatly accepted.

Regards

Green Machine

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi

I have used mine on Gas a few times as you are saying and find the cylinder will last 5 to 6 days as long as the fridge is not set to high (low temp). I only have 3.9 litre propane cylinders. This may give a guide.

Mike

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Perhaps it was this one..

Link Removed

I would run on gas if you are wild camping,, electric will knock your battery`s out very quickly unless the engine is running all the time.. :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
why not fit an automatic switchover in that case , just remember to check regularly for when the switch has taken place , so that you don't end up with 2 empty bottles

personally I have this but keep bottle 2 turned off ; if I run out during the night I just pop out in the morning and open the bottle , the fridge keeps cold without the door being opened and I normally don't have the heating on through the night

is there a particular reason you don't want the gas to run out?

May 22, 2008
Funster No
People tend to panic about gas running out and fridges, I have just had my van in a garage in Portugal for a new clutch, the freezer was full of frozen food and the gas was off for 48 hours, we did not hook up as I was a bit wary about the garage doing something horrible to my electrics if left on hook up within their premises, anyway when we got the van back the meat in the freezer was still frozen as the freezer had not been opened in all that time.We find that a 13 kg gas bottle will last 20 days and nights when wild camping, cooking ,hot water and fridge, we don't have auto change over valves, I took all that out and just have two bottles one off and one on, when the first empties the gas goes out so I know it's time to open the second bottle which is already connected and waiting to be used. SIMPLES. works for us.:thumb::thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the only problem is in hot climates the 3way fridges dont work. depends if you want to visit other counties in the hot weather. i used to run a 3 way fridge on gas all the time with no probs .even when travelling,except for hot weather .changed to compressor fridge now much better. cheers alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi All :winky:

I seem to remember a thread about using the fridge on gas, but can't find the thread. I would like to use the fridge on gas whislt wild camping, but do not want to run out of gas overnight. It is a standard size fridge with a small freezer compartment inside.

Your help would be greatly accepted.

Regards

Green Machine

I don't find it a problem as the fridge will stay cold for some considerable time, as has been said before.

If it worries you have 2 bottles so that a full one is always ready to change over to.

Don't put it on battery with out the engine running, it won't work & your fridge WILL defrost.

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Our 3 way fridge always works a treat-elec in good-gas is better and on the van when travelling only they work flat out and at max temp! Doesn't seem to use that much gas and it does stay cold for quite a while afterwards.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back