Using Fridge on Gas.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by green machine, May 3, 2010.

1. green machine

green machine Read Only Funster

Hi All :Wink:

I seem to remember a thread about using the fridge on gas, but can't find the thread. I would like to use the fridge on gas whislt wild camping, but do not want to run out of gas overnight. It is a standard size fridge with a small freezer compartment inside.

Your help would be greatly accepted.

Regards

Green Machine

2. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Hi

I have used mine on Gas a few times as you are saying and find the cylinder will last 5 to 6 days as long as the fridge is not set to high (low temp). I only have 3.9 litre propane cylinders. This may give a guide.

Mike

3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

4. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

why not fit an automatic switchover in that case , just remember to check regularly for when the switch has taken place , so that you don't end up with 2 empty bottles

personally I have this but keep bottle 2 turned off ; if I run out during the night I just pop out in the morning and open the bottle , the fridge keeps cold without the door being opened and I normally don't have the heating on through the night

is there a particular reason you don't want the gas to run out?

5. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

People tend to panic about gas running out and fridges, I have just had my van in a garage in Portugal for a new clutch, the freezer was full of frozen food and the gas was off for 48 hours, we did not hook up as I was a bit wary about the garage doing something horrible to my electrics if left on hook up within their premises, anyway when we got the van back the meat in the freezer was still frozen as the freezer had not been opened in all that time.We find that a 13 kg gas bottle will last 20 days and nights when wild camping, cooking ,hot water and fridge, we don't have auto change over valves, I took all that out and just have two bottles one off and one on, when the first empties the gas goes out so I know it's time to open the second bottle which is already connected and waiting to be used. SIMPLES. works for us.:thumb::thumb:

6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the only problem is in hot climates the 3way fridges dont work. depends if you want to visit other counties in the hot weather. i used to run a 3 way fridge on gas all the time with no probs .even when travelling,except for hot weather .changed to compressor fridge now much better. cheers alan.

7. keith

keith Funster

I don't find it a problem as the fridge will stay cold for some considerable time, as has been said before.

If it worries you have 2 bottles so that a full one is always ready to change over to.

Don't put it on battery with out the engine running, it won't work & your fridge WILL defrost.

8. Mandaxxx

Mandaxxx Read Only Funster

Our 3 way fridge always works a treat-elec in good-gas is better and on the van when travelling only they work flat out and at max temp! Doesn't seem to use that much gas and it does stay cold for quite a while afterwards.:thumb: