Using disabled bay! (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Normanandsue, I could have written that post. I still think he's a selfish, pigheaded old so and so, especially using a disabled bay blue badge or not. I don't know how far the leisure centre is from said bay but I bet he does'nt drive wonder if he cycles. He obviously has an "I'm alright Jack sod everyone else" outlook so wonder how he disposes of black and grey.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well, I think the socks are a mistake, but otherwise good on him(y)
Wish there were more places like that.
Those complainers are just jealous whingers imho;)

I suggest a 'Fun' rally there as its free!

Couldn't disagree more. Using any public facility for a purpose which it's clearly not intended is not only taking the piss but more importantly jeopardises all our chances to use a public car park for an occasional overnight stay.

Tim

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I think he's being selfish for using it for so long without a thought for anyone else. This leaves one less disabled space for another to enjoy.
And I do wonder where he empties his loo?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Ah - but what is it's purpose? If there are no rules then there are no rules!
Let's face it - if you can get away with something human nature says you will.

Would you all think different if he wasn't in a disabled bay I wonder???

How many of you have stayed on an aire for more than 24 hours if it's in a great location and had a free holiday!

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ah - but what is it's purpose? If there are no rules then there are no rules!
Let's face it - if you can get away with something human nature says you will.

Would you all think different if he wasn't in a disabled bay I wonder???

How many of you have stayed on an aire for more than 24 hours if it's in a great location and had a free holiday!

I think there's quite a big difference between an aire and a public disabled parking bay! One is intended as a short term campsite, the other is most definitely not.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I think the world spends too much time worrying what other people are doing and trying to make them conform than getting on with their own lives

Hence big brother Jeremy kyle and women's magazines stalking celebrities

I'm more a live and let live sort ....The guys doing no harm.

And I'm sure if he's emptying his loo unlawfully all the nosey complainers would have spotted him.

There's probably a few non complaining residents who he chats too and they let him have water etc .....but that doesn't sell stories so the paper won't tell that part.

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
There is a similar situation in Aberystwyth where a stretch of the seafront is occupied by motor homes the locals object we have stayed overnight there but one van had been there for 3 months while I can't see the problem with over night I can also see the locals view with long term

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think the world spends too much time worrying what other people are doing and trying to make them conform than getting on with their own lives

Hence big brother Jeremy kyle and women's magazines stalking celebrities

I'm more a live and let live sort ....The guys doing no harm.

And I'm sure if he's emptying his loo unlawfully all the nosey complainers would have spotted him.

There's probably a few non complaining residents who he chats too and they let him have water etc .....but that doesn't sell stories so the paper won't tell that part.

"Live and let live" is a nice idea but over and over again I find that people who use public facilities like this also abuse them too. Not always by any means but often enough to upset locals and draw complaints to the council.

This then threatens our freedom to use a car park as an occasional overnight stop. I would agree that we do need to ask ourselves "what harm is this doing anyone?" before we jump on our high horses but I think even if he's disposing of rubbish and other waste responsibly, he's still harming all our chances to use public parking areas.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
It would be interesting to know how he's disposing of his grey / black waste.
If the vehicle hasn't moved, disposal would surely involve carrying / lifting / pouring.
Would a disabled pensioner have any energy left after cycling and swimming?

Just wondered.

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
As a relatively new motorhomer what is accepted practice for emptying black waste public toilet? Dig a hole and bury it as long as it's done with consideration? Ask a site owner if you can use the facility's even though you have no intention of staying there

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
As a relatively new motorhomer what is accepted practice for emptying black waste public toilet? Dig a hole and bury it as long as it's done with consideration? Ask a site owner if you can use the facility's even though you have no intention of staying there
When I'm wildcamping which is most of the time in Scotland first of i don't use chemicals in my portaloo and it's used for urine only so it's either disposed of in a public toilet or its taken well away from streams etc and pure out ....This is the same as a dog or in some cases a human peeing against a tree.

For number 2 we use public toilets or if eating out etc we use the restaurants etc if caught short when in the wilds then I Bury it.

For grey water I pull over a drain and empty it there

If I require fresh water I will either find a petrol station with a tap and ask permission or in some cases I've asked at campsites if I can fill up ...only twice have i been refused this and both were in England. I don't use my 200 litre fresh water tank for drinking only washing etc I carry 2 x 20 litre containers in garage for drinking water which I can carry and fill anywhere.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It would be interesting to know how he's disposing of his grey / black waste.
If the vehicle hasn't moved, disposal would surely involve carrying / lifting / pouring.
Would a disabled pensioner have any energy left after cycling and swimming?

Just wondered.

Dropped Pin near Pavilion Rd, Ayr, South Ayrshire KA7 1EQ
http://goo.gl/maps/bPzUJ

Follow link and look around on street view. Public toilets to one side and he's parked no more than 50 metres away by the sea.

I don't KNOW that he's using these facilities but I doubt very much whether the council would have tolerated him tipping waste illegally for 3 months.

Tim

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I like the local resident complaining that he is putting his rubbish in a waste bin. I thought that was what they were for. Obviously clutching at straws.
If he is breaking no rules, then perhaps those responsible for the rules need to revisit them.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I like the local resident complaining that he is putting his rubbish in a waste bin. I thought that was what they were for. Obviously clutching at straws.
If he is breaking no rules, then perhaps those responsible for the rules need to revisit them.

Indeed. Having said that we shouldn't need (or use lack of) laws to know how to behave considerately or responsibly.

Whether what this man is doing is illegal or not, the fact remains that he IS annoying people and by any "normal" standard of behaviour, pushing the boundaries of what local folk feel is acceptable.

Our opinion counts for nothing at the end of the day but if we DON'T condemn this kind of behaviour amongst ourselves, we have only ourselves to blame if councils come down heavily on all "wild" camping.

Whilst he's enjoying free camping, he's putting all motorhomers chances of enjoying the odd night in a car park at risk.

Tim

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The local council and police don't seem to be bothered

The Council seem to think he contributes something and they aren't saying he's causing a problem

Might what he's doing also point out the lack of overnight places and facilities for MHs

- having said that staying for weeks on end in one place is not on

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
See i think this is a typical British response to these situations and the press play on that.

The UK has crap facilities for motorhomes period, I wonder how many people who use the aires in france that are located next to people's houses or the beach etc give a minutes thought as to what the neighbours think......probably not many

Given that this is in Ayrshire im pretty confident that if the majority of locals objected to him being there he would know about it ...his tyres would be flat and his van would be grafited lol

I think one or 2 green eyed residents have a bee in their bonnet and have given a story to the paper .....whose poll currently suggests 2 thirds of people think he's doing no harm.

Personally the more I think of it I seriously wonder if his van has been parked there the entire time not only because of the water and waste etc but where is he getting power from? 3 months on a leisure battery I don't think so , if he's running the engine then I doubt he's done that on 1 tank of diesel in 3 months.

As for the picture showing him sat outside sunbathing that may well be staged by the papers too

The police and the council aren't bothered by him 2 thirds of people on the poll aren't bothered in fact the most people bothered are a few residents and a load of fellow motorhome drivers who really should be thinking this is a good opportunity to push the idea for aires in the UK

I'm going away wilding next weekend I may pop over and visit him find out where he gets his water and power from etc ....and I could report back :)

And if it's a nice beach I may stay overnight :p

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just noticed there are two threads running on this.......we've said what we think on the other one.........whilst he might not be breaking any laws, we think he's milking it and preventing other blue badge holders from using the bay. Just because he holds a blue badge, doesn't give him the divine right to park in the bay for three months:(

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Just noticed there are two threads running on this.......we've said what we think on the other one.........whilst he might not be breaking any laws, we think he's milking it and preventing other blue badge holders from using the bay. Just because he holds a blue badge, doesn't give him the divine right to park in the bay for three months:(
Yes there are but mine was from the Scottish paper the Daily Record the other later thread from The national mi**or so his actions have gone national.

Still seems to be no absolute definition to whether a disabled parking apace can be used indefinitely or have I missed it?
As to not considering what the French or even German householders think is a little off tack I think. They know that area is for said Camping car and the signage states it's said use does it not? Even them countries close designated areas on a fairly regular basis but they do also on occasions open new ones.

It will be interesting to find out what he has to say about it in relation to using a disabled parking area and his reasons why he has stayed in the same place for so long?

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
There is no way we would spend one night there let alone 3 months.....is it possible that he's moving somewhere else at night? If Ayr wasn't well over an hour's drive for us we'd go up and see if he's there overnight, the car park and along the esplanade is a favourite place for boy racers and cruisers. So he's braver than us to stay overnight, I for one would feel vulnerable during the night:cautious:
But he's abusing the disabled bay as far as we're concerned...........
Margaret & Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back