Using disabled bay!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by SandJ, Aug 1, 2014.

1. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

2. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

It's looking good for an "Ancient Campervan".......(y)

• Like Like x 5
  3. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Well, I think the socks are a mistake, but otherwise good on him(y)
    Wish there were more places like that.
    Those complainers are just jealous whingers imho;)

I suggest a 'Fun' rally there as its free!

• Like Like x 5
  4. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Does not look an eye sore to me...

As long s it is taxed/MOT`d & insured.... what`s the odd`s..

Smells a bit like jealousy to me.. live & let live...

• Like Like x 4
  5. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

We view it very differently. We think it gives bluebadge motorhomers a bad name and creates resentment from locals as this has clearly shown. We have never wild camped in a disabled space. We have used a disabled space during the day. So as Amanda can access beaches easily . When we travelled on the east coast we were able to access beaches for Amanda. Now due to this type of inconsiderate behavior barriers and restrictions have been put in place and we can no longer access the beaches. So it is only a matter of time before motorhomers disabled or otherwise will not be able to park in such beautiful places. Its Very sad.

• Like Like x 15
  6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I'm with ABK, about 1% of the Daily Record's readers will think he is in the right the other 99% will condemned him and by inference at the very least all MH owners. You can't even do what he has done on a French aire due to time limits and strictly speaking a camp chair isn't allowed.
    I'm all for better provision for MHs in the UK but misusing disabled parking spaces is not the answer. He is just being selfish by denying other blue badge holders the opportunity to use the space.

• Like Like x 10
  7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

actually ...
    Do you think John Horn has a right to park in the disabled bay for such a long period of time?
    • Yes - he's done nothing wrong - 65%

• No - he's taking the mickey - 35%

• Like Like x 1
  8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Oh well, I suppose I made the mistake of presuming standards still existed. If they took a poll of local disabled folk I wonder if they would have the same result? :sneaky:

• Like Like x 2
  9. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I think he's perfectly within his rights he is doing no harm and his campers in remarkably good nick for its age most of the early kontikis are falling to bits these days. He's contributing to the local community by means of food shopping and use of the centre he pays his road tax and insurance like everyone else the area around him looks clean and tidy

Good luck to him I say

• Like Like x 1
  10. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I am curious however as to his disability due to the bike .....my mum can't walk more than a few hundred metres yet had her blue badge taken away in the recent shake up ....if he's riding that bike he can't be that disabled

• Like Like x 4
  11. scotjimland

There are two ways to look at it..

1.. He is not breaking any laws or parking regulations.. his van is legal .. the police are not interested. Have a look at Google street view.. the flats are miles away, so not affecting anyone's view.

2. It will get up people's nose and gives camper van owners and in particular disabled ones, a bad name..

All this story is doing is advertising the fact that there is free overnight parking at Ayr Esplanade .. how long before it is overrun by campers and the council take action.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  12. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

In my opinion it is a case of him being able to do it legally that is at fault. If they had time limit restrictions then he would not be able to stay so long. I feel he is misusing the facilities that are given to him by staying so long stay a few days and nights by all means but please allow others to use the facility in the same way. I thought a disabled badge had a time limit for parking but is it only when parking on yellow lines?
    A more knowledgeable person than me should be able to answer this question in relation to the law. When is parking not parking, because you are not parking you are in a sense residing due to the length of time, the sleeping, hanging out washing, sunbathing and all other related things he is doing?

Nowt wrong with his motorhome whatsoever in fact it is well looked after.

I feel this is going to further the bad feelings some people have towards Motorhomers, use these benefits in a fair manner I say. As said earlier even the French have time limits.
    I hope it is dealt with swiftly and fairly for all concerned and does not hurt US as Motorhomers.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

No he's taking advantage . There should be a time limit. 2 days max
    People like him spoil it for everyone else. There will be a no overnighting sign up soon , if the council have any common sense.

I also don't agree with disabled , having free parking. Why should they ?
    Places near to entrances , facilities , but pay for it , like everyone else.

I too would not like it parked outside my house . Sorry It is an eyesore.
    So is he for that matter ! :rofl:
    Even if it was a top of the range new Motorhome and he was a right hunk , with a limp, I wouldn't want them in my line of vision for 3 months.

• Like Like x 2
  14. scotjimland

Parking is Free for everyone at this car park.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I don't think he's interested in whether it gives camper van owners a bad name or not....and really why should he?
    Bottom line is he is breaking no laws and he contributes to society. If people copy him again that isn't his concern that's up to the council to deal with .........Most towns cities and communities of houses started because someone built a house and others followed suit. Maybe if the UK adopted the aires scheme and catered for motorcaravaners better then they could avoid this until then the guy is in the right and until he breaks a law good luck to him ........He will have to move when his mot is due :) ......and the next disabled motorhome can get the space.

• Like Like x 1
  16. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

17. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Like many people I agree it is in bad taste and an abuse of a council parking facilities; whether he is disabled or not is irrelevant. The definition of the area he is camped in is a car park and should have restricted use, but as everyone including the police and council admit he is not breaking any laws and is entitled to stay.
    Comments by locals paying their council tax whilst he pays none fail to realise he has a home where he returns at the end of the summer.

If anyone is to blame it is the council for not restricting the use of the car park, but no doubt after reading this article, conditions of use will change and height barriers will be introduced and everyone who owns a motorhome or day van including the disabled will suffer; a consequence of all thoughtlessness.

• Like Like x 3
  18. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I guess his "limp" would be offputting......:RollEyes::RollEyes: :wink::wink:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  19. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

The council state in that story they welcome the vans and don't want to change that.......il bet it's a minority of residents who are complaining the same ones who have draft letters pre typed about buckets not emptied or bulbs out in streetlights.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Perfectly legal but it is the type of behaviour which results in banning of motorhomes.

It is reminiscent of Upton upon Severn a few years ago when Malvern Hills Council allowed overnighting in Hanley Road car park with no time limit. A temporary ban on overnighting was brought in because a significant part of the car park was taken over by blue badge holders staying for several days for free to the detriment of the public at large. The ban has since been rescinded as a new parking order with limits is now in force but there is no guarantee that any bans brought in elsewhere would be temporary.

• Like Like x 4