Using Camping Cheques with an American RV *? (1 Viewer)

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Having read several postings on other motor home related forums regarding owners of American RVs being charged ‘extra’ by some camp sites the following scenario came to mind.

You pull up outside the camp site arrival reception in your 30 to 39 foot American RV*, on entering reception the staff member confirms that they have several pitches which can accommodate your RV*. :Smile:

You then inform them that you will be paying for your stay with Camping Cheques does the staff members face go :Smile: or do they :ROFLMAO: ?

Are there any MHF members who own an American RV * and used Camping Cheques who can complete how this story ended in their case?

Were the cheques accepted with no problem or did the site demand two cheques per night or ££££ together with a cheque?

(*) American or ANY motor home between 30 – 39 foot.

Mick

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Mick

good question, I've never used camping cheques, so can't give a definitive answer .. on the General Conditions it says ..

DEFINITION

Camping cheques cost 15€ / £13.95, giving 2 people the right to one night in one of the 588 campsites of the Camping Cheque network with a standard pitch for a caravan + vehicle or camping car or tent with electricity.

If a rig can fit on the 'standard' size pitch I see no reason to charge extra .. on the other hand, it would be reasonable for the site to charge extra if you needed two pitches.

Before visiting any site I would recommend you call and establish..
a) what is the max size of van they can accommodate and
b) is there a surcharge for large vans.

General conditions of sale

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
All the sites have approx pitch sizes on in the description in the book, if you stick to the sites with the larger pitches i would imagine you would be ok, there are sites with 100,120,150 and 200 mtr2.pitches, as well as sites with the 70,80 and 90mtr2 pitches
We use camping cheques with our 5ver and have no problem but we are just over 27' unhitched. With some sites its not the pitch size thats the worry but the route to the enterance, Houlgate La Vallee springs to mind had to negate practically a 90degree turn just over a narrow bridge on one route we took, the other access to the site was a straightish if narrow road with traffic parking down both sides (breathe in and dont shake the steering wheel).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Smile: Hi Mick. Although Camping Cheques are accepted on Camping Almafra, they will only allow people paying with them to use the Outer ring plots which are NOT suitable for RV's. Unless of course you accept NO running water or Sewage and pay for 2 plots because you wouldn't fit on ONE plot.
They had so many of the Clubs before and after Christmas using Camping cheques and I think there was a problem with cash flow. :RollEyes:

OP
OP
MicknPat

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
John, You have just confirmed what I thought years ago when we had a caravan and didn't know what an American RV was.

As long as you have to inform the camp site on your arrival that you will be paying with Camping Cheques which may be up to half the normal site fee you will not get a good pitch, this way they can 'reserve' the better pitches for those paying the full wack.

Mick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back