LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, could anyone please tell me if it is safe to leave an inverter switched on - with only a sky box attached - all the time.

We are on Bonterra Park and the site is wonderful EXCEPT the electricity trips out, sometimes every day or other day. The only thing which really annoys us about this is that it invariably happens when the football is on! We then have to go to reception because we are unable to get into the box to flip the trip.

This has happened since a very large motorhome came next to us, sharing the same box. He said he would blow the box if he could not have 10 amp, we thought he was joking but apparently not. Last night 4 of the 5 owners were 'having a word' with the man sent to put it right, guess which motorhome owner was keeping his head down!

The Frenchman across the back has a heart machine, so it is vital that he has electricity all the time. Last night the electrician agreed to leave the electric box unlocked as it was tripping out so much. At least now we can just go and flip the trip switch.

So back to my original question, is it safe to leave an inverter switched on all the time? It was installed when the motorhome was being built so has been put in correctly.

Many thanks

Mike and Ginny

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We leave ours on. We just plug stuff in as we need it, just like at home.

Ours is hard wired in with sockets dotted about the van.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We leave ours on. We just plug stuff in as we need it, just like at home.

Ours is hard wired in with sockets dotted about the van.

Thanks, I thought I had asked a silly question when nobody came back!!

Ours is also hard wired in, with one socket in the TV cupboard, as we requested when it was being built.

I am not sure why, but Mike has never left the inverter on overnight or any extended time. He is concerned that it will overheat and cause a fire.

Can I just confirm that we can leave the sky receiver, or whatever, plugged in all the time??

Thanks for your help

Ginny and Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We always have something plugged in charging.

No problems to date! A satellite receiver doesn't draw much power so I don't think it will cause any inverter issues. Now your battery might suffer, depending on type.:Eeek:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
it will run the battery down depending on the load put on the inverter
most have an internal fan cooling system on them
should the fan fail the over heat should cut the power so as not to fire
so answer is yes you can ]

best to be safe and turn off when not needed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
every inverter will use a little power when on but idle just as your home tv uses a little power when on standby.

then, for every 12 watts of power an appliance needs it will use 1 amp of battery reserve.
120w = 10amps...240w = 20amps...1kw = 83amps etc.

sorry, thats wrong and my mind has gone on holiday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
had mine on all the time from early nov to end of april . powering fridge etc .while in spain., cant see it as a problem .
actually its on now here powering the fridge in the house. just about the only time mine isnt on is sept oct here in uk . been like that for about 8 years now . earnt its keep easily .
two years ago the fan wouldnt turn off so i disconected it . still works . just connect it when using the washing machine while away .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back