Using a Sky Digibox

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by cbrookson, Jun 10, 2013.

1. cbrookson

cbrookson Funster

Some would think this is overkill, but being an anorak I like to play at things technical. :BigGrin:

I have just written this up in my Blog and thought it might be useful to share it here ....

Cheers

Some technical notes Freesat, Freeview and Freesat from Sky on one TV

Our existing set up of the Oyster 50GS dome connected to the Avtex 164DRS TV which includes a Freesat satellite receiver does not give us a Programme Guide on normal Freesat.

So I connected in a DRX595 HD mini Sky receiver (cheap from EBay for under £30) to give us 'Freesat from Sky' using an old Sky card - and the Programme for 7 days! Most people use the Pace Javelin 1000 12V minibox, but this is still expensive and cannot get HD channels. This is a cheaper alternative.

This should allow for better (I hope!) Continental coverage as well on 28.2. The Sky box is very low consumption on 240V (about 15W) so will easily run off our 150W Sterling inverter if required (everything else is 12V).

So we can get Freeview, Freesat and Sky .... with Freesat and Sky through a simple manual switch. And the 7 day Sky programme guide..........

[​IMG]

2. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Hi there you seem to be a TV buff unlike me who is TV duff. A question from the ignorant to the intelligent.

I am in the South of France;
    I have an oyster satellite dish that will tune to Astra 1 - the oyster display confirms this;
    I have a sky box and viewing card. The little green light confirms this is working
    The Sky box is connected to the TV by a Scart lead;
    The TV displays an error notice saying "Signal not being received."
    Press TV button on Sky remote and the usual 9 options appear;
    Press all channels and it searches, but comes back signal not being received.
    This situation applies everywhere I have tried both in UK, Germany and France.

Any"Polite" suggestions would be appreciated.

Norman

3. laneside

laneside Funster

Hi Norman

I am sure some one brighter than me will be along shortly but as far as I know you aint going to get anything from sky box tuned to Astra 1 you need to set your sat dish to Astra 2. Start there and then there is more but one step at once

4. cbrookson

cbrookson Funster

Try these steps - if it was not working in the UK on Astra 2 it sounds like something fundamental ....

But could be a number of other things!

Cheers

5. Philiphall

Philiphall Funster

[HI]Some would think this is overkill, but being an anorak [/HI]

Yep get out there and enjoy life dont let the summer pass you by watching the TV :Rofl1:

6. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

May be too simple an answer but it's happened to me on our Avtex, if you have a "source" option on the tv remote make sure it's set to "Scart" and not TV or something else. I had to select TV as the source when using a co-ax lead to link the old 12v Pace mini box.

7. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Just to check what you have described.
    If your Oyster is set up for and receiving Astra 1, if so, you will get nowt on your Sky box.

On Astra 1 you will need a DVB sat receiver which can be tuned to all satellites.
    I have a Sky Box on the ship, and when past Sardinia I switch to a free to air DVB box and tune in Astra 19E or to Nile sat to get some UK / English news and other English language channels.

:BigGrin:

8. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

9. laneside

laneside Funster

Norman most are missing the point and will confuse you even more

Please confirm if you have a Sky box or a freesat box, as you refer to your viewing card I assume it is a Sky box, this being the case you will never get it to work on Astra 1

Ask on here how to make your Oyster search for Astra 2 I am not sure how to do it

Get your dish on Astra 2 and then ask again and we can then help