USING A MOBILE PHONE IN FRANCE/EUROPE

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wingman, Aug 3, 2014.

1. wingman

wingman Funster

Advice please on a few silly questions regarding using mobiles in France/Europe .....

A few weeks ago, whilst in France, I tried calling a Taxi to no avail. Despite the numbers being kosher, each of the four numbers I tried were 'unobtainable'. In fact, every damn number was!

Here's silly question 1: Was it because I had my data roaming switched off?

2. Was it an incorrect code input?
    3. How many noughts do I knock off/add or just forget!

I'm ok on calling back to UK (+44 and omit the first 0?) but get totally confused about calling a French number from within France or other European country.

Could someone give me a few graphic examples of a number, with idiot guide to the code please?

I'm on 3 mobile, so am aware of their feel at home package, so praps it would all work ok now that I can leave data roaming on?

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I dont think you need any international dialling codes for numbers in the same country as you as your phone will register with the local equivilent to your own network.
    Vodafone = FSR etc

Yes, you will need roaming turned on.

3. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Could they possibly have been premium rate numbers which you may have barred on your phone?

4. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Did you dial 0033 to start with and omit the leading zero for the number that you tried to call? That is what I need to do. I need to call use the international number when calling in France to a French number. As that is expensive, I am pleased to have a toggle Mobile sim card in my spare phone - it also gives me a local number in France which allows my friends to call me cheaply as well. (Strange name, "cheaply", I know).

5. Jazzbow

Jazzbow Read Only Funster

I think this is wrong if the sim is UK.
    You need to dial the country code that you are in, roaming does need to be on though