Using a MH in the uk

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by alfandM, Mar 15, 2013.

1. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Hi All,i wonder if any one can point me in the right direction,i am thinking of bringing our motorhome to the Uk and leaving it there, and using the flights to and throw when we want to travel the UK, what iwould like to know, 1,how long it can stay in the Uk on Swedish regs,and reregistering it there if possible ,where would i find this info out, Regards Alf.

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

6 months on Swedish plates. Would it not be cheaper to export it to the UK and register it here.

3. Mel

Mel Funster

How often do you have to go for swedish testing?

That will me the main reason how long you can be away.

Or like the Dutch can you take your vehicle for testing abroad {I dont know where I only knowthey can in Belgium}

Mel

4. alfandM

alfandM Funster

our Mh came 30yrs young this january,and now she only has to go every 2 years for the testing, she is also tax free now, so we are now getting the full benifits from her, does your MHs get the same benifits in the UK at this age,regards Alf.

5. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Hi snowbird hope your enjoying your travel/holiday's , this is what iam trying to find out,reregistering or? reagrds Alf.

6. Mel

Mel Funster

Yes here in Belgium from 25 year old.
    Car or motorhome no longer has to go for test.

But then has restricted use.

But we do go for test from day 1, so before you go on the road it needs testing.

There was quite a lot on recently over importing motorhomes.

I am sure you will soon get some very informed remarks.

Thats wat is great about motorhome fun

Mel

• Like Like x 1
  7. cbrookson

cbrookson Funster

In the UK it is from before a fixed date - You don’t have to pay vehicle tax on vehicles made before 1 January 1973.
    See https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-exempt-from-car-tax

Guess it is better to keep it as Swedish and keep it road tax free take home every 2 years?

Cheers

8. alfandM

alfandM Funster

guess its looking that way, 40years in the uk 25yrs in the benilux and 30yrs here,em and we are ment to be one Europe A:Eek!: Strange

9. Snowbird

If you know someone with a UK address importing is no problem, with little changes like rear fog light moved to the other side and beam benders on that age of vehicle. Cost is very little, around £35 to register. You can find storage in the UK for as little as £250 per year, I now some charge much more but I have paid less than £250. I don't really know how much the road tax is on your vehicle, but someone will be along with that info shortly. As long as you have a UK address there should be no problems. Re the holls, weather is 24c in the sun today, so am dodging in and out, dont want to look like a tomato.

10. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Thanks for that snowbird, i have friends down in benedorm at this time, and they are having a great time,and being a snowbird from up here they must be like lobsters, so thanks again for the info, i guess i will have to give it some thought, all i was hoping was to use the motorbike some times whilst transiting or flying,any way we will see, cheers Alf

• Like Like x 1
  11. Snowbird

Strangely enough I was playing petanque with a Swedish couple today who are on the same site. There does seem more Norwegian and Swedes here than normal this year.

12. alfandM

alfandM Funster

yea strange ,it must be the ever increases in fuel costs, as a lot were venturing to Morocco,the last few years,but the traditions are changing , cheers have it good ,Alf, ps stay away from the Bars with them,or is that changing also:Rofl1:

13. Snowbird

The bars on the Rincon are pretty busy. The Norwegians are much the same as always :Wink:. Everyone thinks its the Brits that are the heavy drinkers. We are only lightweights compared to the Norwegians.