Using 400W Remoska on 1500 W Inverter (1 Viewer)

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
So to clarify, we have a standard Remoska for the two of us, bought in anticipation of our van due soon, so we've been practising meals, it's very good, we are limited to 2 burner gas top, Cadac bbq, using the installed gaslow system, and of course the Remoska, please to see it can at least be used on hookup, which is what we will initially be doing. Unfortunately I'm not a trained Tecchy, Mecchy, or Lecchy, but I can be cheffy and don't like going hungry

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
But the batteries are only 300wh so won't take too
as batteries should not be used below 50% capacity you effectively have one battery so work it out from there. 230W solar will take a while to replace 33amps even in full sunshine at midday. Probably at least 10 hours in midsummer

Surely 230 watts of panel would give at least 10 amps, why would it take all day to put back 33 ah.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Surely 230 watts of panel would give at least 10 amps, why would it take all day to put back 33 ah.
That will depend upon the cloud cover and the angle of the sun. You only ever get the full stated power at midday on the Equator with no cloud.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
in Artic circle from June through to July. Can look on the posative in the land of the midnight sun in June

This will be interesting. If your panels are glued flat then because the sun is at such a low angle you may be horrified just how little electricity they generate.

Theory: Cos(52) = 0.61 so we get 60% compared to equator.
Cos(62) = 0.46 so arctic gets half of equator.

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
This will be interesting. If your panels are glued flat then because the sun is at such a low angle you may be horrified just how little electricity they generate

BUT ----if the weather is nice--good chance that time of the year(y)--------you will be charging SOMETHING 24/7
We were in North Norway\Sweden\Finland and the green light on control box never went off once---didn't have a meter on the control box so no idea HOW MUCH it was charging.------with 24 hour daylight you won't use lights----we were never interested in TV---no idea if it would have worked---much better things to do:):):)

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
AS Odd ball said, "there you go swith with those negative waves" If all else fails cold rations

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Full sun midday was the quote I was questioning.
but it is not full sun or midday for 10 hours, hee hee
switch you TV or whatever on so there is a load and then record the charge from the solar ever hour, you will be surprised how much it drops off.

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
So, is it safer to charge the batteries from the inverter while driving,
When the Alternator would charge the Leisure batteries?

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
So, is it safer to charge the batteries from the inverter while driving,
When the Alternator would charge the Leisure batteries?
An inverter does not charge the batteries, it discharges them! It is used to convert 12V DC supplied by the battery to 230V DC for use with mains powered equipment. No use at all while you are driving along, unless you have a very long EHU cable. :D

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As far as I understod, the van leisure arteries are charge by the van alternator too? if so why not to use the inverter to charge the Ebikes battery while driving, when the batteries get topping up?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As far as I understod, the van leisure arteries are charge by the van alternator too? if so why not to use the inverter to charge the Ebikes battery while driving, when the batteries get topping up?

yes is the answer.. you can charge your ebike batteries while driving .. previous poster thought you were talking about charging the leisure battery via the inverter and a charger.

that's the problem on this thread.. there are two different questions from two posters with the answers getting confused..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for this useful info, Now I can tell the good lady that she will have to carry on using the oven. Saves having another infrequently used piece of kitchen equipment taking up space. More room for my toys.
At the risk of disrupting this discussion of Ohm's Law, if you have an oven, why do you want a Remorska?

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
What Ruth call "lost in translation"LOL

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks ScotJimland. So you think that it will be safe with 1000w inverter to charge the two batteries while driving and charge one battery whole parking?

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
At the risk of disrupting this discussion of Ohm's Law, if you have an oven, why do you want a Remorska?
Its not that we do not use the gas oven but if I have EHU included in the price I tend to use as much EHU as possible. I found using Aires and other such stop overs, that Electricity is metered so I would like the option to use my batteries. Also this coming trip a vast majority is not on EHU so would use the batteries without using the gas. My wife is of the opinion that the oven takes for ever to cook things and would like to try the Romaska. We have decided to use it over the next four weeks in the van before we set off for the trip. If it doeas not work out back to Lakeland it will go. I just love their no quible money refund policy.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
y.. previous poster thought you were talking about charging the leisure battery via the inverter and a charger.

that's the problem on this thread.. there are two different questions from two posters with the answers getting confused..
Jim

Absolutely correct. As far as I was concerned batteries = the leisure batteries.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Its not that we do not use the gas oven but if I have EHU included in the price I tend to use as much EHU as possible. I found using Aires and other such stop overs, that Electricity is metered so I would like the option to use my batteries. Also this coming trip a vast majority is not on EHU so would use the batteries without using the gas. My wife is of the opinion that the oven takes for ever to cook things and would like to try the Romaska. We have decided to use it over the next four weeks in the van before we set off for the trip. If it doeas not work out back to Lakeland it will go. I just love their no quible money refund policy.
Many thanks. People speak highly of it but it just looks like a big and expensive electric frying pan to me, though I understand it isn't as the heating element is in the lid. It will be interesting to hear how you get on with it.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Any updates on the success of using a Remoska on Inverters.

SWMBO is now asking for one...........

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you are buying a Remoska (they are really good) try Alza.co.uk they are half the price of Lakeland for exactly the same product.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back