using 3 mifi abroad

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jaygee, Apr 11, 2016.

1. jaygee

jaygee Funster

I have a mifi that I use with a 3 data sim in the uk. I have an iphone that I have a 3 sim in and have been able to use phone calls and internet in France & Spain with no extra cost however I cannot tether it to my ipad or computer as I can in the UK.
    I phoned 3 to see if their new rules on "at home" apply to data only sims as well as phone sims and was told yes they do - apparently (and I have this in writing!) I can use my 3 data sim in my mifi when abroad at no extra cost......
    Has anyone tried this?

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking ... a '3' data sim is meant to be used in a mifi/dongle etc anyway so there shouldn't be any problems using it that way ... are you sure you're not talking about putting a phone sim into a mifi?

3. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

4. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

Yes, a Three data SIM works in a mifi in Spain and France. You need to check the 'Feel at Home' countries to see whether the data will be considered part of your allowance.
    Three have a maximum 2 months 'Feel at Home' use but some people have managed to use ithe SIM for longer.

5. jaygee

jaygee Funster

no - i know a data sim is only used in a mifi or dongle but wasn't sure that you could use it the same as you would in the uk i.e. at the same price. Previously it has either been mega expensive to use abroad or have had to get a local data sim to use but they are now saying you can use it for the same price as in the uk

6. Minxy Girl

Ah, I understand now!!! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. jaygee

jaygee Funster

just need it for emails & web browsing so hopefully will be ok.

8. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

for emails and web the 3 sim will be fine

9. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Jackie I use a 3 data sim in a mifi when I'm in France without any problems. As has been said earlier Youtube etc are very slow. You do need to watch your data roaming if you venture close to a border with a country that is not part of the 'feel at home' group of countries. (France and Spain are included in the feel at home group).

10. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Thanks Phil. Just bought a 12g 12 month sim for £25! worth a punt.
    Can't believe something so fundamental is so complicated!!!
    Just been on a campsite where they wanted £20 for internet for a week - outrageous, should be a necessity just like toilets & showers :):):):)
    (didn't need it as I had my mifi :sneaky:)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Graham and Jane

Graham and Jane Funster Life Member

You cannot tether abroad only in uk. It is in 3 terms and conditions.

We both have 3contract phones and 3 mifi all worked great in france and spain for last 7 months but definitely cant tether

12. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I have a 3 sim only contract with my phone. It has worked fine for phoning the UK for as long as the feel at home has been running in France and Spain. I fly home every 90 days for insurance reasons and make sure I use my phone whilst in the UK. I never had a problem with it.
    I also have a 3 mifi which I do exactly the same with. No problems there either. 3 works and does exactly what it says on the box. I only have 2 gig of use on my mifi each month and this ran out through heavy use this month so I had to top it up with another 5 gig at £15 on line the other day.
    For people that travel throughout France and Spain I believe 3 will take some beating.

13. jaygee

jaygee Funster

I know that I can't tether my iphone but I can use the mifi as a wireless internet for up to 3 items as in the uk?
    What with this & the satelite I'm begining to think going cold turkey without internet or tv sounds appealing - we never had either when we went on our first european trip in the hymer and begining to think thats why we might have enjoyed it so much.
    Hope you & Jean are ok - looking forwards to your Australia trip - envious!!

14. Minxy Girl

I thought there was a restriction on the 'at home' perk abroad that meant you could only use it for 2 months at a time before it had to be used again in the UK? Has this changed?

15. Minxy Girl

It depends which mifi you have, some allow up to 10 items at a time.
    I must admit that when we go abroad we rarely use the internet so I do go cold turkey and do without my 'fun fix', occasionally I'd have a shuftie if I could get a free wifi signal but most of the time we just did without. However now we have a '3' data sim (12gb pre-loaded like you) and '3' phone sim (PAYG) I'll be able to use it more if I want to.

16. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

You can tether abroad with a 3mifi foc in the feel at home countries for a maximum of 2 months in any 12 month period. After 2 months they can prevent the feel at home working again for the rest of the year. We used a 3mifi in France and Spain for our 2 month trip and although not particularly quick it was adequate enough for me to able to work remotely a couple of days a week. They do restrict the data usage abroad to 12Gb per month but that should be more than adequate unless you're downloading films or TV programs.

17. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

tethered of my phone for three weeks in france and spain last autumn with no problems

18. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

yes you can tether when using a data only sim.....

19. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

I recently visited the Netherlands and forgot I wasn't in a 'feel at home' destination.
    Ran up a twenty quid bill in my first few hours, that was just using my iPhone....lesson learnt !
    Ended up buying £5 daily passes, very expensive compared to Vod & o2

20. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I use my mifi everywhere. I have 15gb per month for 16 quid I think and works no problem in France and Spain.. Even managed 4g somewhere if I remember rightly... In Germany 24 hours unlimited data cost a fiver which is OK if you cane it.

To put that into perspective I average about 300gb per month on my home broadband...