using 3 mifi abroad (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I have a mifi that I use with a 3 data sim in the uk. I have an iphone that I have a 3 sim in and have been able to use phone calls and internet in France & Spain with no extra cost however I cannot tether it to my ipad or computer as I can in the UK.
I phoned 3 to see if their new rules on "at home" apply to data only sims as well as phone sims and was told yes they do - apparently (and I have this in writing!) I can use my 3 data sim in my mifi when abroad at no extra cost......
Has anyone tried this?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have a mifi that I use with a 3 data sim in the uk. I have an iphone that I have a 3 sim in and have been able to use phone calls and internet in France & Spain with no extra cost however I cannot tether it to my ipad or computer as I can in the UK.
I phoned 3 to see if their new rules on "at home" apply to data only sims as well as phone sims and was told yes they do - apparently (and I have this in writing!) I can use my 3 data sim in my mifi when abroad at no extra cost......
Has anyone tried this?
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking ... a '3' data sim is meant to be used in a mifi/dongle etc anyway so there shouldn't be any problems using it that way ... are you sure you're not talking about putting a phone sim into a mifi?

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, a Three data SIM works in a mifi in Spain and France. You need to check the 'Feel at Home' countries to see whether the data will be considered part of your allowance.
Three have a maximum 2 months 'Feel at Home' use but some people have managed to use ithe SIM for longer.

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
no - i know a data sim is only used in a mifi or dongle but wasn't sure that you could use it the same as you would in the uk i.e. at the same price. Previously it has either been mega expensive to use abroad or have had to get a local data sim to use but they are now saying you can use it for the same price as in the uk

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
no - i know a data sim is only used in a mifi or dongle but wasn't sure that you could use it the same as you would in the uk i.e. at the same price. Previously it has either been mega expensive to use abroad or have had to get a local data sim to use but they are now saying you can use it for the same price as in the uk
Ah, I understand now!!! :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Jackie I use a 3 data sim in a mifi when I'm in France without any problems. As has been said earlier Youtube etc are very slow. You do need to watch your data roaming if you venture close to a border with a country that is not part of the 'feel at home' group of countries. (France and Spain are included in the feel at home group).

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Thanks Phil. Just bought a 12g 12 month sim for £25! worth a punt.
Can't believe something so fundamental is so complicated!!!
Just been on a campsite where they wanted £20 for internet for a week - outrageous, should be a necessity just like toilets & showers :):):):)
(didn't need it as I had my mifi :sneaky:)

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
You cannot tether abroad only in uk. It is in 3 terms and conditions.

We both have 3contract phones and 3 mifi all worked great in france and spain for last 7 months but definitely cant tether

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have a 3 sim only contract with my phone. It has worked fine for phoning the UK for as long as the feel at home has been running in France and Spain. I fly home every 90 days for insurance reasons and make sure I use my phone whilst in the UK. I never had a problem with it.
I also have a 3 mifi which I do exactly the same with. No problems there either. 3 works and does exactly what it says on the box. I only have 2 gig of use on my mifi each month and this ran out through heavy use this month so I had to top it up with another 5 gig at £15 on line the other day.
For people that travel throughout France and Spain I believe 3 will take some beating.

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I know that I can't tether my iphone but I can use the mifi as a wireless internet for up to 3 items as in the uk?
What with this & the satelite I'm begining to think going cold turkey without internet or tv sounds appealing - we never had either when we went on our first european trip in the hymer and begining to think thats why we might have enjoyed it so much.
Hope you & Jean are ok - looking forwards to your Australia trip - envious!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

We both have 3contract phones and 3 mifi all worked great in france and spain for last 7 months but definitely cant tether
I thought there was a restriction on the 'at home' perk abroad that meant you could only use it for 2 months at a time before it had to be used again in the UK? Has this changed?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I know that I can't tether my iphone but I can use the mifi as a wireless internet for up to 3 items as in the uk?
It depends which mifi you have, some allow up to 10 items at a time.
What with this & the satelite I'm begining to think going cold turkey without internet or tv sounds appealing - we never had either when we went on our first european trip in the hymer and begining to think thats why we might have enjoyed it so much.
Hope you & Jean are ok - looking forwards to your Australia trip - envious!!
I must admit that when we go abroad we rarely use the internet so I do go cold turkey and do without my 'fun fix', occasionally I'd have a shuftie if I could get a free wifi signal but most of the time we just did without. However now we have a '3' data sim (12gb pre-loaded like you) and '3' phone sim (PAYG) I'll be able to use it more if I want to.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
You can tether abroad with a 3mifi foc in the feel at home countries for a maximum of 2 months in any 12 month period. After 2 months they can prevent the feel at home working again for the rest of the year. We used a 3mifi in France and Spain for our 2 month trip and although not particularly quick it was adequate enough for me to able to work remotely a couple of days a week. They do restrict the data usage abroad to 12Gb per month but that should be more than adequate unless you're downloading films or TV programs.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp

yes you can tether when using a data only sim.....

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I recently visited the Netherlands and forgot I wasn't in a 'feel at home' destination.
Ran up a twenty quid bill in my first few hours, that was just using my iPhone....lesson learnt !
Ended up buying £5 daily passes, very expensive compared to Vod & o2

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I use my mifi everywhere. I have 15gb per month for 16 quid I think and works no problem in France and Spain.. Even managed 4g somewhere if I remember rightly... In Germany 24 hours unlimited data cost a fiver which is OK if you cane it.

To put that into perspective I average about 300gb per month on my home broadband...

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry but we must be missing something but with 2 phones on unlimited data we cannot tether. This is what i thought op was talking about. Our mifi will allow tethering. Think it all depends on your contract. If in doubt contact 3 best way.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I managed to eat all 12gb of 3 data in just over 3 weeks here in N Z
Uploaded too many pics and facetime.
Will be taking care this month

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
Sorry but we must be missing something but with 2 phones on unlimited data we cannot tether. This is what i thought op was talking about. Our mifi will allow tethering. Think it all depends on your contract. If in doubt contact 3 best way.

With the broadband data SIM from three you can use a mifi and connect your devices in any feel at home country. Your phone's are not using broadband data SIM so have a different deal which does not allow tethering. As long as you buy a broadband data SIM your fine to tether.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I bought a 3 12GB prepaid SIM in February (mentioned in several threads here). Just got back from a 5 week trip to Italy and can confirm that it works fine. Still got almost 3GB left and we used it most days for surfing, picking up emails and even facetiming the kids each weekend. Really impressed. I bought a second one at the time as well, which has not been used, except to "register" it in UK.

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
I bought a 3 sim for my mifi and was told is would work in France,before we left the UK it worked well,but when we got to France it would not work.
I have read you have to set it to Data Roaming how do you do this with a mifi.

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I bought a 3 sim for my mifi and was told is would work in France,before we left the UK it worked well,but when we got to France it would not work.
I have read you have to set it to Data Roaming how do you do this with a mifi.

Sign into your online 3 account, select "international settings", ensure "Uk and Abroad" is selected and then save.
Mike

PS obviously will need to find another way of getting on the internet to do this.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Will someone please explain "Tethering" / Bondage ????
Thanks.
Mitch..
A lot of people get confused with "tethering".
Using you mobile phone as a wireless hotspot ie, connecting a laptop or tablet is called Tethering. A MIFI is already a wireless hotspot and you use it to connect your devices to access the internet. But connecting to a MIFI is Not tethering.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Sign into your online 3 account, select "international settings", ensure "Uk and Abroad" is selected and then save.
Mike

PS obviously will need to find another way of getting on the internet to do this.
Hi
Yep it's all set up we just used lots of data.
Uploading a zillion pictures didn't help lol.

Ohh and sending lots of pics via whatsapp is a killer as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back