Using '3' feel at home while in Spain (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Proly a daft question and one I could answer myself when I get there, but....

To dial the UK do you still use +44 with the feel at home set up ?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ta..
Another question you may be able to answer @Flamenca or @Armytwowheels :)
I think it will be handy get a 3 PAYG sim for Woman to use while we are away ( she uses Vodafone here in the uk )
Do the PAYG set ups also allow feel at home calls ?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, it works with PAYG. Ensure that the SIM is activated by using it before leaving UK. (y)

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
No - just activated in UK. Mine was activated in UK and used for first time in France - no problems have been using now for 18 months.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
hasn't payg got to be used in uk for 30days before it will allow the use abroad ?
No Gus, you will see from my previous posts that we are regular 3 users, PAYG for me and you is a fastastic set up.
I am currently in Norway using it, in the summer other parts of Europe that supports it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I already Have a 3 Sim, (had it for about 5 years) Will it work? Or is it necessary to get a dedicated sim?

Pete

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You do need to buy a bundle for payg to work on at home you otherwise pay roaming charges.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have a payg 3 sim that I am using in Spain and didn't activate at home but it was one with the £15 add on and has worked fine. Nick has a payg 3 at home so we bought the add on before we came away. We have topped it up here no problem. He only looks up football rubbish or similar so just bought the 500mb data top up for £5. It is odd how you have to add the 0044 to text, what's app etc even on numbers I've used for years abroad on other networks but only on some of the numbers. The 3 sim in my wifi works as well .

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Is it worth buying two and rotating them? For long stays away...

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My only problem using 3 feel at home especially if you are not holidaying alone is using your mobile between the group. If you use your Three to phone Her Three when she is standing next to you, it will be charged at the international tariff.

Jul 2, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Ih tio
Exp
Just got sim free phone and the 3 add on so we can ring home from spain .but we cant ring our friends on the same camp site if this is right we will have to take another phone with us also.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just got sim free phone and the 3 add on so we can ring home from spain .but we cant ring our friends on the same camp site if this is right we will have to take another phone with us also.

No you can't ring locally for free...but it's not that much. Check roaming charges

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We live in Spain and have the 3UK sim with our UK telephone number. We use it for calling UK numbers.
Across a camp site to another UK phone will work, but if they are not on 3UK as well you will pay loads to connect to them!!!! however receiving calls from the UK or another UK mobile across the camp site will cost you nothing.
Whilst in Spain you are best using a pay as you go Spanish mobile as it's cheaper for local calls. I have a Spanish mobile number and wife has UK number mobile.
We use whatsapp:
https://www.whatsapp.com/ which uses data and now has a phone call system, so no roaming charges as long as you have a data connection be that wifi or using your data allowance.
Works for us.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Is it worth buying two and rotating them? For long stays away...

I have 2 . Both have had the " If you use it for 2 complete months in a rolling 12 month period we will turn off the international roaming services etc;etc, "

additionally lack of use for 6(?) months & they cut the number off.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
OK, a three payg sim duly ordered..

When it arrives I will pop it in the fone, walk down the road and get it activated ( sod all signal on Three where I am )

lady said as long as I activated it and topped up that is all that would be needed for it to work just fine in Spain on the feel at home system..

Thanks to all for your help !! :xThumb:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I have 2 . Both have had the " If you use it for 2 complete months in a rolling 12 month period we will turn off the international roaming services etc;etc, "

additionally lack of use for 6(?) months & they cut the number off.

It's bizarre this one as I've been using the same sim now for over 4 months in the same year, three months earlier this year and now back again, and it's still fine with no text messages as yet!

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
3 worked fine for us,I bought the £20 all you can eat data addon used whatsapp(data) and Fxxxbook messsenger with video(data) as everyone back home is on that anyway also viber skype also but not so many use that these days IMO.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
walk down the road and get it activated ( sod all signal on Three where I am )

! :xThumb:
Yes I found that problem all over the place in the UK

It's bizarre this one as I've been using the same sim now for over 4 months in the same year, three months earlier this year and now back again, and it's still fine with no text messages as yet!

You won't necessarily get one , I didn't last year. Just started using it again in UK for 6 weeks, topped up 3 times, then they cut me off.:xThumb:

I won't be bothering in future as it is cheaper to use my Spanish mobile as it goes on to roaming rates when out of Spain which , due to being capped by the EU, are approximately 30% of the rate I pay here.:xlaugh: Absolutely ludicrous isn't it that I pay less to make a call ,text ,etc ; in France,Germany , UK ,etc; than I do in Spain.:(

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

Just had a online "Chat" with 3. Can use the Data providing I have Addons. Can only use for 2 months at any time!.

That`s a result, I think?

Pete

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi

Just had a online "Chat" with 3. Can use the Data providing I have Addons. Can only use for 2 months at any time!.

That`s a result, I think?

Pete

Try turning your data off when not using it, along with not being a high data user it's why I think I've gone well over the two month limit!

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Ih tio
Exp
where do u all top up in spain on your phone or computer or somewhere else

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
My sim card/s are registered to me via the 3 app on my smart phone, click on account and top up, using your credit card,check your balance or buy add ons. This is done from anywhere that you are using your Feel like home coverage. I generally top up in Spain, France and the UK.
I have never had any of the cut off or other type of annoying service that other Funsters frequently post about.
I am currently in Norway using 3 as my Data provider.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
No - just activated in UK. Mine was activated in UK and used for first time in France - no problems have been using now for 18 months.

Can i ask have you been using the same PAYG sim for 18 Months

I was told at the 3 shop you could only use them for 2 months

Thanks Rich

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I already Have a 3 Sim, (had it for about 5 years) Will it work? Or is it necessary to get a dedicated sim?
I've been using the same 3 PAYG data SIM for the last 3½ years in both England & France without a problem. It's been swapped around between at least three different dongles or MiFi type units in that time.

Someone else mentioned voice quality when sending voice over a data connection (VoIP), rather than using mobile phone minutes. I use my data SIM for this a lot (because it becomes part of my work PBX) & it generally works pretty well. I can't make direct comparisons, because my phone is on Vodafone, so at any given location, the two networks will have different signal strengths. It does mean that one of them usually works!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)

I believe the 2 months refers to using the 'outside the UK' Feel at Home concession for more than 2 months a year. 3 say that it is intended for holidays & business trips by UK residents, not for long term use abroad. I think they only apply it if you stay continuously in the same county - if spending the winter in Spain, a trip across the border to France (not forgetting to use the SIM while in France!) should be enough - no need to return all the way to the UK. Mind you, you'd still need a real reason to go to France, otherwise it would be an expensive way of getting extended Feel at Home service!

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986

Thanks Rich
I have been using the same PAYG sim and believe that it is only the sim cards on a contract that are limited to 2 months in the period of their annual contract and that as you are only paying a month on PAYG it is like a new contract when you get your next monthly top up on PAYG. Hope this make sense, a bit difficult to convey!!!
I have used mine in France for 6 months of a year quite happily.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back