useing a "3 sim" in a phablet

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by SC 05 OUT, Aug 2, 2015.

1. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

I’ve got a galaxy s3 on 3 one plan (unlimited data), in the UK I can use this as a Mobil wireless hotspot and tether my device to that (laptop). However when in France tethering is not allowed with the data usage (how do they know your doing it?).
    The screen on the s3 is not really big enough for use when the vehicle is moving (passenger only) so I thought about buying a phablet something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-10-...t-PC-2G-16G-/131559425547?hash=item1ea18d860b

So if I put my 3 sim in it would it work ok?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

Yes, it should work with a 3 SIM. Before buying I would ask them what size SIM it takes. You might have to cut down your present SIM.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

Ive done that, no reply as yeat, but I think it is a standard sim. my g3 is a mini sim I think

4. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

I`ve got this one takes a micro sim (same as your galaxcy I believe) and yes it does work in France should work in Spain

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUBE-T9-4...E-TABLET-PC-/281574316059?hash=item418f23181b

I have a std size DATA sim bought on eBay 12gb cut down to micro size that I now use in the tablet as from yesterday ,on it now and tethering :) on you settings have you OK`d roaming I have and no extra charge on feel at home
    Hope this helps

• Like Like x 2
  5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

They do know what you are doing with your sim although exactly how I don't know - but they can. I had a 3 PAYG phone sim for a while as a trial and I used it in a mifi but after a couple of days all I got from it was a message to tell me I should put it back in my phone! If you want to use the sim in a mifi for internet connection then you need to get one which is a mobile broadband one. They do three sorts: phone, tablet and mobile broadband. I guess you can put a mobile broadband in a phone and use it for tethering but if it is anything like the mobile broadband sim I got it doesn't work in the phone for making calls* - so I only ever use it in the mifi.

*but 3 reception around here is rubbish so it may be the thing simply couldn't get a signal.

6. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

the phablet is just like a very big phone, 3 say on thier website you can use the sim on any unlocked phone, thats why Im thinking of doing it

7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

As you say the phablet is just a big phone so I think you need a phone sim - but if you try tethering from it I am not sure this will work - it might for a day or so as I found, but then they pulled the plug.

8. Flamenca

• Like Like x 1
  9. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

10. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

I terther all the time wih my sim in the S3

• Like Like x 1
  11. Flamenca

I am not able to advise with the issue of tethering as I use a MiFi router to which 10 devices can be connected simultaneously.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Flamenca

I am quite impressed with the specification and have ordered one myself (y)

• Like Like x 1
  13. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

me too. I had a reply to my question they say it should work ok wth a micro sim in a carrier

14. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

ok now Ive ordered the phaplet I been thinking of cheap way to use it in france, Ive nicked this quote from the "moneysavingexpert" site

Quote Start:
    Even if you're not a Three customer, you can grab its Feel at Home offer. Just order one of its free pay-as-you Sims to pop into your handset while you're away. Here's how:

• Step 1: Order a free PAYG Sim from the Three website – it'll work in any unlocked 3G or 4G phone, and using it in the UK costs 3p per minute for calls, 2p per text and 1p per MB. You can also buy one in-store – it normally costs £1, but the fee's waived if you top up at the same time. You will need to top up with a minimum of £10.
    • Step 2: To use Feel at Home, you'll then need to use your credit to buy a Three add-on bundle of calls, texts and data. They cost from £5 to £25 – as an example, £15 will get you 300 minutes, 3,000 texts and all-you-can-eat data. To do this, log into your My 3 account, or call 333 using your new Sim.
    • Step 3. Feel at Home works automatically when you arrive in any of the 18 countries. You'll be able to use the allowance in your add-on the same way as in the UK.
    Quote end:

I think this is what Ill do, get a 3 payg sim, top up £20 and buy the data add on, use my 3 phone as a tether in the uk and the payg sim in france,

it does go on to say about tethering in france, again Ive quote from the website

Quote start:

• Three's terms and conditions say you can't use your phone for tethering (in other words, use it as a portable hotspot to connect other devices to). However we have had people say it does work - we asked Three about this but it refused to be drawn on the consequences, only referring us to the out of allowance call charges if tethering takes you over the 25GB allowed if you have all-you-can-eat data.
    Quote end:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Flamenca

Although I am a 3 'contract' customer (on a cheap package) I also buy a PAYG mobile broadband SIM to use in my MiFi unit whilst in France and Spain. I do not consume vast amounts of data whilst travelling so a 3GB 3 month SIM works for me most of the time but I do have a Vodafone Spain SIM as backup which costs 10 Euros for 1GB for a month. I have heard that 3 limit the 'feel at home' use to 3 months but have not heard of anyone being cut off when reaching that time limit.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Have been using three this trip to Italy in my large phablet phone and it has worked fine all the way here. As has my wifes on her iphone
    Unlike the local Wind sim we bought for iPad last year the coverage was hopeless

• Like Like x 1
  17. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

what type of sim was in it?

1 out of a 3 contract phone
    a data sim (contract or payg)
    a phone sim (contract or payg)

18. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

As a back up and for phone calls only ( or data if you want it ) then in the duel sim cubot phone I have the 3 sim with all you can eat data .payg.as main sim and a std size Toggle sim phone only .I put £20 on it last Oct and still £11.20 today good value I thought .

• Like Like x 2
  19. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Contract. Sitting in a supermarcedo carpark now using it....has never let us down this trip

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Wino

The Wino Funster

With 3 I think on pa as you go you need to have been on payg for a month and buy a bundle to get feel at home. I have 3 payg and bought a 1 month bundle before we went to France and worked fine the bundle was unlimited data but restricted to 25gb when used in other countries. The phone sim is not allowed to tether in other countries but there are supposed to be apps to get around it not tried them. We also had a 3 data sim in a mifi worked fine as well beast to set up before leaving the uk and make sure use roaming is enabled in the mifi settings.

David

• Like Like x 1