Used gas tank

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by normanandsue, Feb 26, 2014.

1. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

I am considering fitting a refillable gas bottle to my mh. A reliable friend has put me in touch with a guy who has broken up a motorhome and has for sale a refillable gas tank system.
    Those of you who have special knowledge of this system could you provide me with some advice about considering buying this and when I go and look at it what do I need to pay special attention to?

Also as I have no skill to fit this would I be right in assuming it would cost about £100 to fit?

Norman

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

The first thing I would do is check if someone would actually fit it for you as they might not be happy to fit second-hand gas stuff as they wouldn't be able to guarantee the actual components.

3. Hercules

Hercules Read Only Funster

If the tank is over 10 years old, it will need to be tested and recertified. I made enquiries about having my one done, and was told that it would be cheaper to buy a new tank.

4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

First make sure its a habitation tank as opposed to a road fuel tank. They are different.

5. gypsylady

gypsylady Read Only Funster

Agree with the above.

If it's a habitation Gaslow tank, then fitting it is as easy as changing a Propane bottle.

6. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Its not actually clear whether you mean an underslung gas tank or a refillable cylinder to go in your gas locker. If its the latter then it shouldn't cost £100 unless pipework and filler needs to be supplied. If its the former (underslung tank) then £100 is not going to cover the cost of fitting it. If it is an underslung tank you not only need to check how old it is and if necessary whether its been recertified but also if there is sufficient physical space for it.

D.

• Like Like x 1