Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
Can anyone give a definitive statement about the use of Tom Toms etc in France?
Specifically those devices with Static speed camera alerts insrtalled.
I have heard that devices used to alert the presecnce of MOBILE cameras are banned, but what about the rest?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi,Dont know about the tomtom speed camera system in France being banned,but I know you are quite right about the speed camera snooper,a Dutch friend was stopped in a random paper checkpoint,the French police spotted his snooper on the dash and even though it was not switched on,it was confiscated,with a fine,and yes they did give him a receipt for it.Regards,Dave.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
This issue was discussed a while back see scotjimlands reply

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have heard that devices used to alert the presecnce of MOBILE cameras are banned, but what about the rest?

Hi

Speed camera POIs are perfectly legal on a Sat Nav , speed camera detectors are illegal .. this was confirmed by the French road traffic authorities.. discussion this topic here..

Link Removed

May 22, 2008
Funster No
My Tom Tom works great in France, I have Aire POIs on it which someone on here was kind enough to E Mail to me,I also have speed cameras locations for France, Germany and Spain and no doubt for the rest of Europe and again they are superb.Tom Tom rules Eeeyah :thumb::thumb:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
if you don't want to use tolls /motorway then check you route after tom tom works it out for you .it will send you on a lot of small country lanes if you don't watch it. but it will get you there in the end . speed camara is worth having on .

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
I know ALL POI's of speed camara's are forbidden in Switzerland, you are not even allowed to have them in your software.

I don't have a TomTom but another brand. With my brand, after update, all of them were removed automotacilly.

No problem in France, Belgium and Holland.
Dont know the status for other countries

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Currently the French police are not able to enforce a speed camera being set off by a non French registered car as there is no EU legislation that allows cross border enforcement of speeding tickets....... yet. If you tigger a manned police speed trap you can expect a trip to the closest ATM machine to pay the on the spot fine.

This site will show you where the fixed camera sites are in France and you can download for GPS:

RADARSFIXES.COM - Les radars fixes automatiques en Europe

and this site will give you all the info you need in case you are caught exceeding the speed limit by how fast -v- your cost.

Link Removed

Mick

who used to have a very keen interest in these things ::bigsmile:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Tom Tom will only take you down narrow country lanes if you select shortest routes, select fastest route and that's what you get ,irrespective if you have also told it to avoid toll road or not, I sound like a salesman for Tom Tom don't I , well I'm not I just think it's a great bit of kit. :thumb::thumb:

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
I always use my tomtom on fastest routes and when in France I avoid toll roads and this works for me BUT a good map is a must then you can plan your journey exactly using the itinary planning feature to as you may say go in a straight line from A-B avoiding some of the tom tom detours.:thumb:

OP
OP
strathspey

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years

Thanks everyone for you advice.
I used the Tom Tom last year to tour the WW1 battlefields and it proved excellent.
This year I've downloaded the 'Safety Cameras' from Tom Tom and just wanted reassuring that it was legal in France.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back