Use of Autogas in very cold weather (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
Here's my experience of using autogas in very cold weather :

I've got a 40 litre bulk tank and at the end of January, over a mild couple of days, I 'burnt' off the entire contents of the tank. I then filled up with autogas at Morrisons, got just over 32 litres in, which is approx 80 %, so the pressure limiting valve must be ok.
I was in Braemer recently when overnight the temp dropped to about -12 C. At 8 am the temp was -10 C and the gas would not light in the van. I carry a spare 6 kg Calor propane bottle in the old gas locker which I then switched over to (simple diverter switch in the locker) and the gas was flowing into the van.
The calor bottle is effectively inside the insulated van, but this shouldn't make any difference (should it ?).
It took the sunshine on the side of the van (were the bulk tank is) to make the autogas work, this was at 10 am, and the temp was then -5 C in the shade & possibly warmer in direct sunshine.
Are we being sold autogas with a fair bit of butane in it or what ?
Maybe there is moisture in the externally mounted bulk tank / pipe / regulator that freezes.
How do others get on with autogas in bulk tanks in very cold climates ?
I'd hate to think I was in the alps for any duration without hook-up relying on autogas !
I posted a similar report a couple of years ago on the motorhome list site, and one reply mentioned similar problems and cured by insulating the gas feed pipes from the tank into the van, but I'd forgotten about it until it recurred last week.
Good job we were on hook up and warm as toast in the van.

Any ideas why the above has happened ?

regards

Allen

ps submitted this to the motorhometoday site but no response as yet, so come on !

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Possibility of moisture in the Tank/pipe feeds to freeze up. I never had a problem on our old Coachmen converted to run on LPG even in freezing weather. Although it would run rough starting from cold until it warmed up.
The LPG in Europe is not as good as that in the UK. Same for the on board tank for cooking and heating. No problems. :winky:

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
we were away recently in night temperatures of -6 or -7 and never had a problem.

des

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Autogas

Hi

I use Autogas for the purpose of cooking and heating, "stored" in a Gaslow cylinder. No problems at all with the cold - even in the recent cold snap.

I have also used LPG from the pumps overseas in winter - again no problems.

I read somewhere that LPG is a mix of butane and propane, so maybe if the mix is not what it should be, with too much propane, then it may not take off properly. For the winter though, I think the mix is more propane than butance anyway, so should erradicate the problem.

R

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back