LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Have two - one as backup - we always have a back up hard drive working then periodically do a separate back up onto another HD - Only use USB to move files between computers - Jim was advocating a secure key ring version thats impact / waterproof etc some time ago - alright if you dont loose your keys:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Enctryption, sensitive data,,,, its a backup of a database,

ShiftZZ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Step 1.
Start with an empty Flash Drive. Download and install TrueCrypt from [URL="http://www.truecrypt.org/"]www.truecrypt.org[/URL] Click 'create volume' to create a standard TrueCrypt volume. Click 'select device' - choose your USB flash drive, click it, then choose OK.
Step 2.
Click 'next' to see the encryption options (algorithms) you can use, click 'next' to accept the volume size, then enter a password. (Make sure its something easy for you to remember, yet
virtually impossible for others to guess!)
Step 3.
Move your mouse over the 'next dialogue' to set a random starting point for the TrueCrypt encryption, then click 'format' to format the flash drive. (If you have any preexisting data on the flash drive copy it to your hard-drive right now).
Step 4.
To access the Flash Drive click 'select device' in TrueCrypt and chose the flash drive. Select 'mount' enter your password and the Flash Drive will now appear in explorer Click 'dismount' to
remove the drive. You have now password protected (and encrypted) your USB Flash Drive to stop others from accessing your sensitive data.

:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

ShiftZZ

Following on from what Landy Lover says, I would (and do) use a different medium (or media) for backups. I only use USB sticks for transferring files from one machine to another.

If the database includes personal data the same (DPA) security requirements apply to the backup copies as to the original.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

ShiftZZ

I use this, Link Removed It takes a little getting used to but it seems to work, as to back-ups I have 2 external hard drives, one I take with me when traveling and the other sits at home.

If you go down the spare HD's then you will want an auto backup program.

Doug...

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Step 1.
Start with an empty Flash Drive. Download and install TrueCrypt from http://www.truecrypt.org/www.truecrypt.org Click 'create volume' to create a standard TrueCrypt volume. Click 'select device' - choose your USB flash drive, click it, then choose OK.
Step 2.
Click 'next' to see the encryption options (algorithms) you can use, click 'next' to accept the volume size, then enter a password. (Make sure its something easy for you to remember, yet
virtually impossible for others to guess!)
Step 3.
Move your mouse over the 'next dialogue' to set a random starting point for the TrueCrypt encryption, then click 'format' to format the flash drive. (If you have any preexisting data on the flash drive copy it to your hard-drive right now).
Step 4.
To access the Flash Drive click 'select device' in TrueCrypt and chose the flash drive. Select 'mount' enter your password and the Flash Drive will now appear in explorer Click 'dismount' to
remove the drive. You have now password protected (and encrypted) your USB Flash Drive to stop others from accessing your sensitive data.

:thumb:

Thoroughly agree, has to be the best around and it's free. :thumb:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Truecrypt is the solution you seek :winky:

But not only for your USB drive, but you data drive on the computer as well.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I use true crypt to encrypt my spare hard drive and back up my main pc with but the only problem I have and hope someone on this thread can help me with.
When I mount the drive and need to do a back up, the windows back up doesnt recognise the hard drive I have encrypted even though windows has and it shows up on the list of drives in "my computer"

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I use true crypt to encrypt my spare hard drive and back up my main pc with but the only problem I have and hope someone on this thread can help me with.
When I mount the drive and need to do a back up, the windows back up doesnt recognise the hard drive I have encrypted even though windows has and it shows up on the list of drives in "my computer"

Windoze backup won't recognise it because it's a Truecrypt backup, which is what you will need, to do incremental backups.

But someone may tell me I'm wrong.............:winky:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Windows backup doesn't seem to recognise truecrypt volumes as Wivvy's dad says. The alternative is to use something like Comodo backup Link Removed or use a different encryption software.

I use Luckybackup but then I'm running Linux so it's irrelevant.

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years

Do you mean as a destination drive for the backup?

If so, make a Windows share on this drive and then select network destination. Go to the PC in the list and you should see the share you created as an option to back it up to.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i bought a maxtor black armour usb hard drive.
its a hardware encrypted hard drive quite secure.
though it was quite expensive

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back