USB Cables (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
This question could be for computer people as well as photographers.

Every time I buy a new device (camera, laptop etc) it comes with a USB cable. I now have a fair old collection of them and worry about mixing them up.

Question: Are they all the same so does it matter if I mix them up ?

It may seem like a numpty question to ask, but it is asked by a numpty as far as gadgets are concerned. :Confused: ::bigsmile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If it is just a standard USB cable, then is doesn't matter what you use. Some are USB to Mini USB - in which case as long as the item is mini usb - it won't matter. They have no charging regulation, they are just a link cable.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Thank you RC.

I thought that would be the case but wanted it confirmed by someone "who knows stuff about stuff" :thumb: ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
Don't get caught out

There is a "standard" mini USB which will fit quite a few things, but some companies have proprietary ones. My Olympus camera is a case in point. I assumed the standard cable would be OK and found it wasn't in Porto. Also kindles, blackberries etc have their own fittings.

Moral - check every gizmo cable before getting on the road.

Dave

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Some usb cables are produces of better conducting material so the more expensive ones should be better in some circumstances.

The other difference is that some have a bulbous section in the cable, this is a magnet bolted on to the cable that meets EU legislation with regard to keeping electromagnetic interference under reasonable control but not needed in most situations.:thumb:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Thank you all for your informed replies.

I think that I will just label each one up so that I know what it is for, that way, everything should be fine.

All I have to do now is work out which one is which :Doh: :ROFLMAO:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
In my experience the problem is often, not so much plugging one into the 'wrong thing' but because many look fairly similar (especially at the device end) it's a matter of which will actually fit into the gadget. If it will fit it will work.

Wyn

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Most USB cables have connections for a power supply and connections for data transfer.

Some will only have connections for the power supply, to allow a device to be charged.

The power-only cable obviously isn't much use if you are trying to transfer files from your camera to your computer, for example. :Smile:

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
USB 1.x/2.0 standard pinout
Pin Name Cable color Description
1 VBUS Red (or Orange) +5 V
2 D− White (or Gold) Data −
3 D+ Green Data +
4 GND Black (or Blue) Ground

USB 1.x/2.0 Mini/Micro pinout
Pin Name Cable color Description
1 VBUS Red +5 V
2 D− White Data −
3 D+ Green Data +
4 ID None Permits distinction of host connection from slave connection
• host: connected to Signal ground
• slave: not connected
5 GND Black Signal ground

All USB or micro-usb cables are the same - its a UNIVERSAL serial bus.....if it fits - its ok....Fortunately gone are the days of 25pin D-Types wired by a magician in the black forest under a full moon.....

The discussion about cable quality on a short 5v connecting lead is of little significance in practical terms. If you were streaming audio or video - you could try a gold plated, OFC , cable - but I'd reserve that stuff for your audio system at home....I have leads I got cheap off ebay and some I paid £10 for....still charges stuff, still transfers photos, videos, music etc.

The cheaper ones seem to go "slack" quicker (soft metal plug?) and the cable generally feels thinner....but for charging a phone/tablet??

If using with a nice stills or video camera, then as I say, might be worth getting an upmarket cable to go with it....or just put the memory card straight into your pc :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think it depends what you are using it for.

my kindle was supplied with a USB charging lead for connection to a laptop/pc.
the recommended mains charger has a heavier gauge wire to aid faster charging due to reduced volt drop and capable of carrying a higher current.

providing it isnt a speciialist item lead and all four pins are connected any USB lead will do either charging or data transfer but the better the quality the faster it should work.

in the same way a gold plated audio/video lead plug/socket will work better than a cheap metal alternative.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you look closely most usb mini connectors are the same, but there are a few micro ones about and some oddball ones related to a single manufacturer. what i have and carry in my laptop bag is one good quality USB lead and a set of adaptors to make it fit whatever

like this but using a better cable
Link Removed

this way i dont need to carry loads of different cables

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
as said if it fits it will work problem we find is cheap leads dont last and are sometimes slow for charging the ones that come with the apliances tend to match their quality to the apliance ie cheap chinese sat nav cheap chinese lead
so any of the ones that have come with your tom tom or nikon camera will last longer and if they fit you can interchange them
the other thing ive started to do is tippex the name of the gadget on every power supply i get to save confusion in the future

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back