Usage

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by rosierose, Apr 29, 2014.

1. rosierose

rosierose Funster

Hi all,

Apart from the cost, our main concerns about purchasing a MH is whether we will get enough use out of it, so my question is…

When you first thought about purchasing your MH's, what sort of usage did you think you were going to get out of it and has it met or exceeded your expectations?

2. simbadog

simbadog Funster

Welcome :welcomefunster:
    We have used ours more than we expected to :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. maz

maz Funster

Bought one 3 years ago with the aim of using it full-time - and that's exactly what I've been doing ever since. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  4. TheDentons

TheDentons Funster

we have used ours more than expected had it 10 months and done over 10,000 miles including two trips to france also cornwall north wales west wales and:thumb: devon

• Like Like x 1
  5. rosierose

rosierose Funster

Wow, that's pretty hardcore :Laughing:

For ourselves, it will only be used for holidays but I do envy your lifestyle. It must be wonderful to just jump in the driving seat and "live" somewhere else!

• Like Like x 1
  6. maz

maz Funster

Most of the time it's fine but you do meet a few odd weirdos on the way - not all of them Funsters! :Laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  7. rosierose

rosierose Funster

Thanks! That's reassuring to hear :Smile: When we first thought about purchasing, we had it in our heads that it would be for the UK only but I'm really liking the sound of a trip to France. (hiring at present)

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

There is a cost factor to consider. For example, if you only used it 3 weeks a year each week could easily cost you a thousand pounds, taking into account insurance, tax, servicing and depreciation. The latter of course is a movable feast depending on the age of the vehicle and price paid. However, for a thousand pounds a week you could have a nice fly/drive holiday somewhere nice.

My guesstimate would be if you can't get away for a total of at least 6 weeks a year then owning a MH could be an expensive luxury.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jimothy

jimothy Read Only Funster

I originally just bought MoHo for MG Car Club weekends(7 or 8 per year) plus the occassional Grand Prix.

That's when I was younger, freeer, and singler. Now I still do all that and also now we are a family have family holidays in MoHo, and just the quick overnighter getaway when we have a spare weekend.

So I guess I have exceeded what I'd originally intended :BigGrin:

PS. I am also somewhat envious of the full-timers on here. All 3 of us (well certainly me and the 8-year old) would love to live in the motorhome!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  10. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Once you start doing the continental trips I bet you will really get the benefit and I bet you'll want to go again and again. It's so much more free and easy across the chanel where motorhomes are welcomed rather than the 'no motorhomes' and 'no overnighting' signs that are so frequently found in the UK, so touring from place to place is easier. Having said that we have used ours plenty at home as well. Not only for a week away but also it has been useful for the occasional day out, taking with you your own toilet , dining room, kitchen etc.
    On one occasion I did a hot air balloon flight. The day before I was advised to be there at 6.00am! It was a 1 to 2 hour drive away! So, simple solution. Went in motorhome, slept overnight, woke up and had breakfast and ready to go. Also meant Jean had use of kettle, tv, etc.while I was up, up and away instead of having to sit in an empty field for much of the day. You don't always forsee how useful they can be. :thumb:

Wyn

• Like Like x 3
  11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I addition to holidays ( Easter, Summer , half terms etc) we usually use ours every other weekend throughout the year. Sometimes we won't use it for a month but that's rare.

I think it's about the use that we expected. We used to own holiday homes on the coast which we used about the same so we knew what we were expecting. With council tax and utilities on a second house though a motorhome works out a lot cheaper in the long run.

Well, that's what I keep telling myself anyway:BigGrin:

12. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

I think part of the unique nature of owning a motorhome is the ability to wake up in a morning and say, "are we doing anything today?" and if the answer is "no" then we can just jump in and head off somewhere, and stay away as long as we want. Can't beat it. Never stands for long between trips.

Wyn.

• Like Like x 5
  13. rosierose

rosierose Funster

I think that is what is so appealing to us. We can only organise breaks/holidays last minute and then we are limited for availability and places suitable for dogs. Having our own vehicle would give us more freedom.

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful :Smile:

14. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

I could meet you for a dog walk and tell you all about these people (I have inside info) :BigGrin:

15. rosierose

rosierose Funster

hahaha, that could be interesting!

• Like Like x 1
  16. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

We bought a motorhome mainly so the dog could holiday with us - we wouldnt put her in kennels.

We saved a fortune compared to school holidays in statics and travelling abroad and as our son was young we ended up having far more holidays than we did before we had the motorhome.

We would jump in it on a friday evening and end up wherever we ended up during term time coming home on the sunday and spend most of the school holidays in the motorhome somewhere

Usage - really that is up to you.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

Well we only wanted to hire a VW campervan to go to the Latitude festival, but one thing led to another and we found ourselves browsing ebay - and the next thing we knew we were the proud owners of a LHD motorhome with 150k on the clock! It's not the way I'd recommend doing it, but we were lucky and it took us not just to that festival but to parts of the UK we'd never been before, acted as our "base camp" when attending the local carnival and days at the seaside, and took our family of five around France.

After touring France we ended up publishing our version of France Passion, and trading at motorhome shows all over the country, so we certainly get the use out of our van (on our third one now, and saw that first great old 1992 Dethleffs Globetrotter on ebay again recently, so hopefully someone else is enjoying it).

So, I guess the point is, you never know what might happen...

Steve :Smile:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We bought ours last June and have clocked up 7000 miles, mostly in France because we lived 40 minutes from The Tunnel.
    Our intention was to sell the house and buy one in France, which is what we have done. It was easy to tour areas until we found somewhere we liked, then arrange house viewings and have holidays at the same time.
    We will be refurbing the French house and plan to let it out for a year or two and live in the van touring Europe and beyond.
    Allan

• Like Like x 3
  19. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Only done one trip so far but 3 more planned in the next few months so will use it much more than when we had a caravan as so much easier to use & less set up time so great especially for weekends/short breaks which were just too much hassle before. Best thing is that staying just a night or two rather than a week at a site gives much more freedom, choice & is easier to book last minute. If you are on a budget save money when stopping for travel breaks & make your own drinks & snacks rather than pay motorway service prices:thumb:. Own loo on board can be handy too especially if you drink as many cups of tea as us!

• Like Like x 4
  20. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

I did not think when we got ours.we would make so many friends.in so many countrys.and now at funsters meets.:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3