USA Full Timers - with Health Issues (1 Viewer)

Spud312R

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Bishops Stortford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
SInce 1985
Hi All

I'm really looking for advise concerning living/touring in the USA for a long period (2yrs) in a few years time.. both of us will be retired, i will be 62, the wife 59

We are trying to decide to do either Europe or the USA , as my wife is registered disabled with R/Athritus.

I have read the pros & cons of europe and our beloved Tax/Health/DVLA services, but wanted to find out more about the good old USA, as there are places on the bucket list that must be seen..

1. I have read in some sections about purchasing a RV out their is possible by either setting up and going through company .
2. Also i understand a full Visa is required - 6months, which you keep having to apply for extension - is this also if you are retired, is there not a Silver Fox Visa :)
3. Setting up a USA bank account for pension/money to be transferred into
4. Do you still come back to the UK for Tax/NHS/Pension reasons ?
5. I expect you have to take out USA medical insurance

I know there must be tons more to know, but any advise is welcome and good swing it either way -> Euorope or USA ..

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Reading the above makes it seem that you have already made up your mind about the destination as long as all the little problem'ettes are surmountable.......

......sounds like a good plan to me. Best of luck
(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As long as you can afford the medical insurance. 2 sets of friends of mine can't .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am not sure you can get a visa to visit the USA for more than 6 months. The normal stay under the visa waiver program is limited to 90 days but I believe you can get a visa to extend that to 6 months. And you won't get around this by nipping into Canada for a week or so then coming back! It is 6 months in any 12 month period as I understand it.

However, they do seem to have flexibility (but it is usually to shorten the length of your stay) and you may have to go to the US Embassy in London to be interviewed. If you can convince them you are not going to be a burden on them and don't intend to retire there and have plenty of funds in the bank etc, etc, then they might allow you a longer stay.

I can only suggest contacting the Embassy and asking for advice: http://london.usembassy.gov/faq-visa-gen.html

EDIT: Just found the wording:

"If you travel to the United States on a visitor (B-2) visa, the period of time you will be allowed will be determined by the USCIS at the port of entry. Initially they can grant a stay of six months which can be extended for a further six months at their discretion. The USCIS has sole jurisdiction over such matters."

So does that mean just one extension?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back