Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi. We're seriously considering a FlyDrive holiday in the States next year, renting a Motorhome for 3-4 weeks. Don't fancy Florida but other areas considered - National Parks etc. Any sugggestions born out of anyone's personal travel experiences in any other area would be welcome, and best time to go (not too hot}
Sue

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We rented in New Jersey to attend a wedding in upstate New York, and then continued with a three weeks holiday around NY state, inc Niagara, and the finger lakes, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New Jersey.
A wonderful experience not to be missed.
We rented through motorhomebookers.com and everything was spot on. Collected at the hotel, and dropped off at the airport when we had finished.
The US is so big, and so diverse, it would take a lifetime to see most of it.
The campgrounds are properly suited for all RVs, with water, grey and black waste, and electricity on each pitch. These pitches are normal, not called 'super pitches' because they have a bit of gravel thrown down.
One thing i thought strange, they park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway!

Craig

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Oh, i forgot, we have been in the summer, very warm, and also in the fall. Now to see new England in the fall is just so breathtaking.

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
USA visit

My all time favourite US state is Wyoming, but we also love Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico and California(northern), if you like national parks, Yellowstone is tops,been there 5 times now, The Grand Tetons are awesome as well, as is the rocky mountain national park in Colorado, we have done RV trips and car/motel trips as well.
You need to plan on staying over there as long as possible to see as much as you can, depending on your circumstances, there is just so much to see, also, don't forget British Columbia in Canada, truly an amazing place,we're lucky, we have family in Vancouver, everyone should definately visit BC at least once in their lives.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Norman and Sue I went to the United States in February and March. Weather was near perfect except that Yosemite Nat Park was still closed due to Snow and Ice.

Lake Tahoe was open and beautiful. Arizona the Grand Canyon fantastic.

The hi-light was Zion National Park. I have loads of Piccies. I'm told that Brice National Park is as good as Zion, but I can't say.
:thumb:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Hi Norman and Sue I went to the United States in February and March. Weather was near perfect except that Yosemite Nat Park was still closed due to Snow and Ice.

Lake Tahoe was open and beautiful. Arizona the Grand Canyon fantastic.

The hi-light was Zion National Park. I have loads of Piccies. I'm told that Brice National Park is as good as Zion, but I can't say. :thumb:
We also tried to visit Yosemite, but our visit was in late June and there were still 12 ft snowdrifts blocking the roads, we liked the area around Lake Tahoe as well, and an area between Tahoe and Yosemite called June Lake, very rural and rustic. Grand Canyon takes some believing when viewed for the first time.$ corners area is good, we liked visiting the Navajo Indian reservation,(wife collects Turquoise and silver Navajo jewellry.) :Doh:

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Hi
We used to live in Long Island New York.
Our fav tour was to drive from La to Las Vegas, death valley, grand canyon, Yosemite and Lake Tahoe then to San Fransisco.
We were in motels but the campsites in the us are well equipped
We are very envious, have a great time:Smile::Smile:

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
We did San Francisco to Los Angeles in a car and hotels, taking in Yosemite, which was mind blowing, if you like hiking and waterfalls. Death valley, Las Vegas, Grand canyon, Lake Havasseu, Palm springs etc etc.
I would love to go back and do more of the parks - real wilderness, that we can not experience here. You can not comprehend the size and the distances. Only mistake was to try and cover too much in a short time span. My advice is pick an area and concentrate on it. We went late June in to July, beautifully hot.

Have a good trip,

Keith

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have completed three RV holidays in the US.
The first Started in San Francisco to Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Hoover, Las vegas, Grand Canyon , Los Angeles. 3 weeks August

The second New York, Cape Cod, Adirondack , Toronto, Niagara, New Jersey. 3 weeks July

The third which was this year we did a reduced price delivery run with Cruise America from Chicago to St Louis, Memphis, Tulsa, Amarillo, Oklahoma, Alberquerque, Monument Valley, North Rim Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion national Park and Las Vegas. We covered lots of Route 66 on this trip. 4 weeks June

All fabulous trips , never a dull moment. look out for special reduced delivery trips which can save a load of money. These are often on offer on www.cruiseamerica.co.uk.
There are several RV hire companies, we have used Cruise America and El Monte. Some hire RVs with slideouts are also now quite common. You are normally required to stay overnight in a hotel before picking up hire RVs. We used this as an opportunity to spend a few days in the city where we started the trip.
Please pm me if you need any more info :thumb:

Last edited:

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Sue, if you can go last minute the best current deal would be about £20 per day all inclusive. Look for 'special deals' on

Www.Moturis.com

There are a couple of things you need to know, but overall it's a cracking bargain. If you want to know more send me a message.

Richard

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
If you want to travel out of season and out of holiday areas maybe try S Carolina, Georgia and Louisiana in February March. Between those 3 states you can see some real live America that is seldom visited but often surprising and beautiful.

One of the best aspects of that region is you can fly into (relatively) cheap airport hubs, especially Atlanta where some of the best fly drive deals start.

But as others have said, where in the US isn't a great destination providing you pick your temperatures and avoid US holidays due to crowds and costs.

That said, Spring Break at Daytona was a fun eye opener for such a conservative country!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back