Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Is it feasible to take a motorhome to and from USA for about 8 weeks? Whenever I search the internet they pretty much think I want to go and live there.

It would be so simple if it was roll on roll off, easy access to normal diesel and no problems with vehicle compliance.

Can it be done or is it just too much hassle?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Feasable? dont know very expencive.

Possible? yes but why? cheaper to rent one out there or buy and sell one.

I used my RV in the states before shipping it back after purchase.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
before you even start, consider the transport costs.

i believe it is around $100 PER FOOT shipping fee....each way.

then you'de have shipping agents fee's, temp import fee's etc.

much cheaper to hire there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I see you have a Hymer so your electrics are not going to work without conversion.....the cost of transport.....shipping up to 4 weeks each way......finding an insurance company that will cover you without an address or local licence.....tempory import......depending how long you are going for visas......by far cheaper to hire or buy one when there.......not impossible but personally I think impracticle.

Not trying to rain on your parade.

hope this helps Rick.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There was a similar post some time ago and I replied that there are a German group that do it every year.They ship the MHs out of Hamburg or Rotterdam a few weeks before flying out to them.I dont know how long they go for but was talking to one of them a few years ago and he had done the trip a few times.I would imagine that they must get some sort of shipping deal as its been going on for a few years now.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Much better idea is to take advantage of the system you can find at the following site:

Link Removed

21 days can cost as little as $200 !!!!

Richard and Gay ( The Scotts on here ) have used them and really rated the way they do things :thumb:

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
thanks but it is big bucks

Thanks, I had a look at the site, they want $100 per night.

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I have looked in to the cost of renting. I was only looking for answers to my question, but thanks anyway.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
When a friend shipped an RV back (he bought one over there as the hire company let him down) it cost him 3k to ship it back.

Look into an exchange scheme - you borrow someone's motorhome/rv and they borrow yours. There is no money changing hands, so won't fall foul of hire/reward, but you may wish to sort out seperate temp policy.

There are also buy-back schemes around the states, where you buy the rv, and they buy it back from you at the end of your holiday.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I read a blog about a couple who did this , a year in the US with a Hymer and I'll be damned if I can find it .. still looking ..

If you are interested in shipping a motorhome, and it is one of the cheaper options for long term touring of the States, then it might pay you to change your motorhome before you go because you can get it VAT free providing you export it within 6 months.

Exporting motor vehicles to outside the EU - the Personal Export Scheme
The Personal Export Scheme is for visitors to the UK from outside the EU, and EU residents who intend to leave the EU and remain outside it for at least six months. Under the scheme, when you buy a motor vehicle in the UK and you're going to export it, you don't have to pay VAT.

This saving would more than shipping costs

Full Details ( scroll down to relevant section )

EDIT .. sorry, forget what I said.. just realised you only plan eight weeks ..:Doh:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have seen that blog somwhere too Jim...very interesting reading it was,I thiought there was a link to it on here somwhere.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks, I had a look at the site, they want $100 per night.

Nooo.. From 9.95 a day
Look at the specials. Keep an eye on them as they change all the time

I think the most expensive ones are only 30 bucks a day

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I read a blog about a couple who did this , a year in the US with a Hymer and I'll be damned if I can find it .. still looking ..

If you are interested in shipping a motorhome, and it is one of the cheaper options for long term touring of the States, then it might pay you to change your motorhome before you go because you can get it VAT free providing you export it within 6 months.

Exporting motor vehicles to outside the EU - the Personal Export Scheme

This saving would more than shipping costs

Full Details ( scroll down to relevant section )

EDIT .. sorry, forget what I said.. just realised you only plan eight weeks ..:Doh:

surely if you export without paying vat you will have to pay the vat when you import it at the end of your stay ?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We did look into shipping our truck and camper instead of buying out there--but I wanted to travel on the ship with it !!-----not that expensive-per day----but I couldn't find a ship that was doing a direct run to Eastern coast----they were all spending many days touring European ports------we were not interested in paying for that !!!
We met an old couple in Alaska who had imported their old camper to tour with, so it certainly is possible. The exchange rates make everything dearer than 2/3 years ago.
I could be wrong ---but I think the cheap 1 way hire is actually hire companys getting vehicles to another base--(and you are paying them to do it) good value if they have one going from and to locations to suit you.
The shipping cost for our unit was $1800 inc. transit ins. from Galveston to Sothampton.
It must be cheaper to East Coast ??
Nigel & Pamala

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back