US Visa - can you re enter with an esta?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by jonegood, Oct 11, 2015.

1. jonegood

jonegood Funster

We ve been thinking of going to US for some time with the intention of spending significant time MHing, either renting or possibly buying.

We ve considered getting a full visa, but have heard first hand what a pain the interview is; My sister-in-law ( white, financially secure, middle class christian) spent over 6 hours in the US embassy waiting for hers, during which time she wasnt allowed phone etc and could not take food in.

We would be happy with 3 months at a time but would want to re-enter up to twice a year and are wondering if this is possible with an ESTA ( aka VWP)

We ve been combing the US visa but cant find the answer to the question. Does anyone here know please?

Jon

2. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Re - entering with an ESTA is no problem, I've done it loads of times - you just need to update the address on line of where you are staying the night that you arrive. Don't know how this works if you are RV'ing but the address of an RV park is similar to a hotel address

• Like Like x 2
  3. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

You could contact the embassy.

4. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

I've re-entered the USA multiple times on an ESTA for work.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

With all due respect - what on earth do those "attributes" have to do with anything :censored: ???

I had my visas renewed in September
    Choose the 8am appointment - get in the queue around 7am - make sure all your documents are in order - bring a different photo just in case.
    Just make sure you follow all the requirements.

I was out before 9am

Security has changed - phones, kindles etc are allowed.
    Food & drinks are available from their snack kiosk.

Do you need a visa?
    https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-gb/niv/information/niv

ESTA Validity:
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e1s1
    "Unless revoked, travel authorizations are valid for two years from the date of authorization, or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. The Authorization Approved screen displays your travel authorization expiration date.
    Your ESTA authorization is generally valid for multiple trips over a period of two years (starting the date that you are approved) or until your passport expires, whichever comes first*. This means that as long as you received an ESTA authorization to travel, you do not have to reapply during the validity period.
    If your ESTA expires while in the U.S. it will not affect your departure.

Security:
    http://london.usembassy.gov/visas_security.html

Google is your friend :whistle:
    Hope this helps (y)

• Like Like x 2
  6. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Thanks @Langtoftlad

I thought Id combed the visa pages and I didnt see this. dohhhh!

Jon

• Like Like x 1
  7. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

OOOOOO you dont want to go there you will loose the use of your legs and get fat, and did you know they shoot people;):) and and and.

Martin

• Like Like x 3
  8. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Estas last 2 years. You can enter as much as you like but be sure to leave the US on time every time. Going there in a fortnight to see my son.
    hil

9. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

You have been watching to many " Deliverance films" Going to see my son in a fortnight in Connecticut for Halloween and the fall.
    What do the mountain people do for Halloween ? They stay at home and "pumpkin"
    Hi Martin, just back from a 6 week trip in the Croatia region. Van performed beautifully.
    Regards Phil

10. wanderingyp

wanderingyp Funster Life Member

I think you'll find you are not correct. I have a relative who has spent the winter in Florida for past 7 years and on ESTA goes for 90 days, comes out and then returns for another 90 days (the maximum allowed in one year) This year he actually did a 2 week trip to USA in summer and on entering a week ago was challenged at immigration of exceeding his annual allowance.

11. DuxDeluxe

But the ESTA itself is valid for 2 years. How long you can stay is a different matter - but the number of actual entries is unlimited within that period.

12. jonegood

jonegood Funster

What I dont understand is - Why do they make it difficult for us to visit?

( no personal remarks please chaps)

13. wanderingyp

The number of actual entries is unlimited dependant on time spent when you do enter

14. DuxDeluxe

........correct. I thought that was obvious

15. Detnor

Detnor Funster

They have rules and they stick to them. I was chief purser on various cruise ships dealing with immigration on a weekly basis It never varies, if it is 90 days then that is it. They dont make it hard, just dont try to bend rules. Queues at immigration are another issue.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DuxDeluxe

USA is like a magnet for people from lesser developed countries and the USA want to keep economic migrants out; they do have a differing attitude to security (not necessarily right).

If you are unhappy about immigration queues in USA (as I have been, many, many times) then ask an American about getting into Heathrow on a busy day. Exactly the same experience. The ESTA visa waiver programme has really improved things though, but you are really really lucky to arrive in the baggage hall anytime before your bags have been around the carousel a few times and taken off by the staff and stacked in the middle

17. wanderingyp

Obvious to those that know but thought that the point of the forum is answering queries and being more helpful/informative with clear facts for people investigating something maybe for the first time.

18. DuxDeluxe

Correct

19. jonegood

jonegood Funster

So, Is there a stipulation of the maximum amount of days in any given period or the life of the ESTA? and is there any guidance regarding how long you need to leave the country prior to re-entry?

Jon

20. wanderingyp

"Approved ESTA applications are valid for a period of two years, or until the passport expires, whichever comes first, and multiple trips to the United States without the traveler having to re-apply for another ESTA. When traveling to the U.S. with the approved ESTA, you may only stay for up to 90 days at a time - and there should be a reasonable amount of time between visits so that the CBP Officer does not think you are trying to live here. There is no set requirement for how long you must wait between visits." quoted from
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...tronic-system-for-travel-authorization-(esta)

• Like Like x 1