US C-class GVW and axle weights

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by johng, Feb 24, 2009.

1. johng

johng Read Only Funster

all, can you give me an approximate GVW for your RV ? (C-class) , and axle weights?

I just want to get a very approximate idea.... mine does not have the plate, and no one knows anything about it's payload...

I just want to get an idea to begin with.. i realise newer slide units will be a different kettle of fish..

thanks
    John

2. PeteH

PeteH Funster

VIN Plates?

Hi

Are you absolutely sure you have no record? Vin plates on US vehicles are notoriusly elusive. You may have to grovel in out of the way places on chassis Rails etc. The marks for the COACH tend to be hidded behind seats, buried in lockers, or even buit in behind furniture

My A Class has two one under the "hood" (except being a pusher its not) and the other buried behind the rackandroll bed!!

pete

3. johng

johng Read Only Funster

Pete I have really tried :Rofl1:

nothing anywhere..

DVLA have no idea, VOSA have no idea,.. tempted just to make one up ! :BigGrin:

so far I have

GVW, plated 10500lbs, which I worked out as 4.75 tons give or take, from Dodgey...

and a guy in the US who is supposed to have same van as me

GVWR 8900 lbs
    GAWR Front 3400 lbs
    GAWR Rear 6000 lbs

I am over this GVW with one passenger!

4. ginge61

ginge61 Read Only Funster

will look 2moro at my manuals winnie 20ft on chevy g30 5.7 motor give you some idea

5. johng

johng Read Only Funster

Ginge many thanks !

I have a G30 and a 5.7 , but 23 foot. I really want you to agree with the second set of numbers :)

John

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I will agree with them if you think it will help:thumb:
    But it wont:Eeek:
    you realy need the correct data for your specific vehicle, if Linda from stateside or Duncan pops on they may have, or could get the info you require
    apply a rough figure gleaned from other members data is nothing more than a guess

7. johng

johng Read Only Funster

Geo ! i just knew someone would say this! :Rofl1::Cool:

Duncan couldnt help last time, i am quite sure I asked Linda a year or two ago, West Mid RV couldnt help..

I really really really realise that guessing the weight is sooooooooo wrong..

i dont know why i asked.. just wanted some thoughts really...

my van is very very old

the coachbuilder died off over 20 year ago...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  8. ginge61

hi john weights as fowllows incomplete vehicle gvwr 10-200lb/4,627kg

frt-3,900lb/1,769kg
    rr7,200lb / 3266 kg vehicle supplied by genral motors

tire 8.00x16.50 rim 16.5x6.00 psi 60 413k pa single
    pa dual

this is the plate info and is a 21-22 foot acording to plate

i wouled think that the base vehicle would be the same hope this helps

9. olley

olley Funster

10. Lindy-C

Lindy-C Deleted User

Hi John

It would be useful to know who the coachbuilder was.......obviously not GMC as they only built one motorhome from scratch and production ceased long before yours was built.

You might be better off locating people with the identical vehicle to yours, perhaps take a look at the links at the bottom of this article..... The GMC MotorHome - GMnext

11. johng

johng Read Only Funster

Ginge many thanks :BigGrin: (have you any pics of yours, just by way of comparing?)

Olley, been there.. I really have tried a lot to gain this info.. believe me :)

Lindy, Hi :BigGrin: I did that and found a supposed same van/builder... although there is some discrepency in the length of his RV compared to mine... his GVW I am already exceeding.. with 2 adults and a normally loaded van.. (see figures from my ealry post)

Midas were the coachbuilders...Freeport the model, Van is standard issue rear corner bed/bathroom. single dinette etc etc based on a G30 Vandura chassis, 5.7 and 3 speed auto...

The braking system is able to deal with a GVW of between 10 and 11,000 LBS according to a manual I have and the chassis number...

John

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  12. tacr2man

tacr2man Read Only Funster

I would suggest that you go to the base vehicle manufacturer, as the converter /builder has no real relevance to the GVW , its the chassis that matters.
    You will need to quote the VIN they will then be able to give you the line build details , the converter/builder will have most likely bought the chassis with the springs etc for the completed vehicle in mind (unlikely to fit aftermarket springs as this would only add to his initial costs). Hopefully this will allow you to compare your axle and total weights now with the right results. If you find that you are going to be overweight then you will have to do data on suspension component comparisons , to ascertain if its GVW etc has been upgraded. The springs capacity could be found by enquiry with any good spring manufactuer, after supply of data as to number, dimensions of leaves etc . HTSH

13. ginge61

pics on the albums much the same as yours the figures given were off gmc for the chasise cab before the body was put on winnebago midas lindy lots of builders used this base winniebago industries web site have old spec sheets on there site also and there is no differance between wc421-423 those numbers show 4 berth 21ft -4berth 23 feet same engine axle weights etc

14. johng

johng Read Only Funster

thanks both for that :Cool:

will have a look at yours Ginge

by the way, I am in North Wales on Sunday!
    John

Just had a look, yep base vehicle looks identical.. mine has a different layout inside, windows etc..

:)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  15. Lindy-C

Lindy-C Deleted User

16. ginge61

ye layout is differant but you will find base is the same its just like they use transits fiats etc
    fords had a slightly heavier gvtw at 11,000lbs but think you will find all chevy base campers have the same basic running gear around that age you can tell of the vin number too if its the same base

i will be around llangollen sat sun at vally crusies abby bottom of the horseshoe pass a bit of a vw meet t25 campers but will be in the chevy if you anywhere near there or home later sun near wrexham

17. johng

johng Read Only Funster

thanks Linda will take a look
    :Smile:
    Ginge, I am picking up a car from a village called Llansannan sometime Sunday morning/lunch.
    Also, i have someone from Anglesea meeting me to give me a gearbox...
    I am not even sure how I am getting there yet, a train from Euston to Wrexham seems the best bet at this stage.
    yep would be good to catch up for a natter and a cup of tea nad to see the chevy :)

will pm you later with phone number etc
    :BigGrin:
    John

18. ginge61

thats not the easiest places to get to on a sunday ask the guy to meet you in wrexham buses are like non existant up here on sundays

19. ginge61

just thinking easier to catch the train to abergelle its on the way to holy head then about 8 mile from there other wise its a good distance from wrexham the guy from anglsey could meet you there too easy to get too

20. johng

johng Read Only Funster

thanks Ginge

£75 gets me 5 hours on a Train to Abergele..
    1.30, I should be driving by 2-30..

by then you'll be on your way back?