Urgent help (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Can anyone tell me correctly what oil my 2012 fiat Ducato 2.3 150bhp comformatic takes I'm stuck at a shell garage in limp mode with no oil in the engine...

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
sounds pretty serious to have no oil, hopefully not on dipstick, but still a good bit left (y)

best of luck (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Can't see Semi Synthetic doing any harm

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Ace, love this forum! Hope you havent cooked your engine!!

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
The Fiat handbook for my 2015 Ducato recommends SAE 5W-30 ACEA C2 grade synthetic base lubricants. Classification FIAT 9.55535-S1.

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5/30 fully synthetic,,,

What you really need to know though is WHY/WHERE the oil has gone,?!
If there's no red lites on the dash the engine should be ok, but there is obviously a leak,,,
get some oil into it and then do a thorough check from the bonnet and beneath the engine while it's idling.
Make sure to check the dash when you start the engine,!
Good luck.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Mobil 1, it's excellent in every way 0W-40. Used it for year in all my engines and the results are noticeable. Worth considering:)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would the think the first job is finding out where it's gone, before your new oil follows it.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Logic says ... anything will do (oil wise)... DPF or no DPF... BUT only until... you know what you need.. and can get it sooner rather than .. like nxt yr!!_

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Well....... so, today is only the second day it's been driven, picked it up from littlehampton last Thursday drove down ok, (near Truro)I had my temporary hand controls on... today drive to South Molton to get permanent hand controls on.... on the way back getting dark and foggy lights on and I can now use cruise. Driving for about half a hour I get a warning come on, red symbol (now known as transmission) and saying check transmission I notice that the glow plug and oil light are on..? Very dim but on..? Turn off cruise and there still there. Engine has little power.

I pull over at first available stop and turn off wait, and start up and it comes back on.... I turn off and have a look at engine all looks ok but no oil on engine dip stick..? I know a garage not far and wait for engine to cool and drive to garage with heating on full van haven't much power...

Get to garage and my first post, I buy 5ltrs of 5/40 fill it... it's now showing on dip stick and no sign of leaks anywhere, I then drive 60 miles home like nothing ever happened..!! Runs like a dream but oil and glow plug lights dim but still visible.... pull on to drive and transmission warning light comes on just as I'm about to turn off....

It had mot and a service five days before I picked it up...

It's a fiat ducato multijet 150 comformatic

Will have a look tomorrow in the light but will probably take it to a fiat garage..(n)

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if its just been serviced, suspect the sump plug or oil filter are not tightened or cross threaded

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If it is the sump plug the under tray, if it has one, will be well damp with oil.

Probably will have misted some of the under carriage as well.

Wasn't there a post about using cruise and some warning lights coming on before on here?

Good luck sorting her, if it is a cross thread you may get away with helicoiling it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If it's been driven without oil , I would seriously be getting it looked at , and sending it back, we are all on about it having the wrong oil , but none beats all that.:(:(

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Wasn't there a post about using cruise and some warning lights coming on before on here?
Symptomatic of a faulty dash cluster but may not be the case in this instance.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Garry, the dim warning lights are a known fault on Fiat dashboards. They were the same on mine and I got a replacement instrument cluster under warranty. As I understand it many people have persuaded Fiat to replace the cluster even if it is out of warranty, because it is a known fault. Suggest you take it to a Fiat Pro dealer to see if he can sort it out.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Either the mechanic didn't fill it properly, some engines the dipstick level changes a short time after filling or you have a leak.

As others have said you also possibly have a faulty dash cluster.

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
Has the dipstick got a small plastic sleeve on the bottom that could have gone missing. I would be phoning the guy who serviced it and ask him why it was not filled properly and making him aware that any damage caused by his work would be down to him to repair.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Update.... the van is on a slight forward incline on my drive and oil is showing on the dip stick at an appropriate level, I have got the under tray off and it's as clean as a whistle under there.... no leaks... I will put the undertray back on and give fiat a call...

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
If it's been driven without oil , I would seriously be getting it looked at , and sending it back, we are all on about it having the wrong oil , but none beats all that.:(:(

Hence my post about anything being better than nothing.. (y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Update.... the van is on a slight forward incline on my drive and oil is showing on the dip stick at an appropriate level, I have got the under tray off and it's as clean as a whistle under there.... no leaks... I will put the undertray back on and give fiat a call...

As in the garage that just serviced it ?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Smith and Sharp
We have also had the problem with the instrument cluster.

Turn on cruise control and several warning lights illuminate at about half-strength.

If you get warning lights then, which go out when you disengage cruise, you have the faulty instrument cluster problem. It may be nothing to do with oil loss. That is better checked by filling to level then watching how quickly the level drops.

In your initial post you said that you were at a garage with no oil in the engine. Did you know that from dipping the oil or were you going on the illuminated warning lights?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back