urgent help please - rear wheel bearings (1 Viewer)

landed

Free Member
Oct 7, 2011
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Hi all,

I have a ferry booked for wednesday and the offside rear wheel bearing has colapsed (only done 45k!). The van (swift royale 540 1995) is in the garange but they cant find the right part- have tried factor bearings and from peugeot for a boxer but they were all the wrong size (68mm outer diameter), the garage says we need 70mm outer diameter. Perhaps Swift changed the axle? Does anyone know what the correct part would be and a supplier? Swift tech support are closed till Monday.

Many thanks in advance!

Ralph.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Hi all,

I have a ferry booked for wednesday and the offside rear wheel bearing has colapsed (only done 45k!). The van (swift royale 540 1995) is in the garange but they cant find the right part- have tried factor bearings and from peugeot for a boxer but they were all the wrong size (68mm outer diameter), the garage says we need 70mm outer diameter. Perhaps Swift changed the axle? Does anyone know what the correct part would be and a supplier? Swift tech support are closed till Monday.

Many thanks in advance!

Ralph.
the rear axle,on your van is an alko,your better off getting in touch with caravan dealer,or alko themselfs:thumb:
the rear of your van is not a peugeot only the cab part is:thumb:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Surely if you supply all dimensions to a bearing factors/outlet, they should be able to supply a pattern part, and probably at a fraction of the cost of a dealer supplied part.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

landed

Free Member
Oct 7, 2011
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
many thanks for the replies, yes the garage have gone to factors with the dimentions 70mm outer diameter, 14mm inner, 40mm wide, but apperently there are no such bearings. I didn't realise the axle was a different manufacturer, will chase this up. Had a quick look online for alko bearing but all seem to be for trailers. I don't suppose anyone knows the axle model used on the boxers in 1995? or gone through a similar experience?

Really surprised the bearing went at only 45,000 miles! The rear does sit low, but I thought this is normal for these vans. I had thought about putting the airride suspension system in on the back , but the cost for replacing the bearings, drum and wheel cyliners is going to cost over a grand so will have to make do with those bouncy springs.

Thanks again!

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
many thanks for the replies, yes the garage have gone to factors with the dimentions 70mm outer diameter, 14mm inner, 40mm wide, but apperently there are no such bearings. I didn't realise the axle was a different manufacturer, will chase this up. Had a quick look online for alko bearing but all seem to be for trailers. I don't suppose anyone knows the axle model used on the boxers in 1995? or gone through a similar experience?

Really surprised the bearing went at only 45,000 miles! The rear does sit low, but I thought this is normal for these vans. I had thought about putting the airride suspension system in on the back , but the cost for replacing the bearings, drum and wheel cyliners is going to cost over a grand so will have to make do with those bouncy springs.

Thanks again!
but that is what the axle is a 'trailer axle' see if there is a bearing outlet by you or i know it might sound dum but try halford's,i used to tow a big boat and that had a alko axle on the trailer and i used to get the bearing's from halford's:thumb:eek:nly place i could get them from,but there is a number on the bearing,something like 6006zz,if you look around the edge of the bearing you should see it:thumb:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The bearings are probably GKN or SKF, they WILL have anumber on them, get it off the other side if one is beggared, Contact a BEARING supplier, there are loads of them about, give them the number and they awill match the bearing. bearings, like other things, have many uses, your bearing may also fit a converyor belt tensioner, or the landing gear on a Cessna, go bearing outlest rather than factors.
http://www.waukbearing.com/
heres one

SIMPLY BEARINGS are also in your area i believe.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
A grand:Eeek:
You sure your in a garage, where are you London or Paris city centers, sounds like £300-£400 too much to me:Doh:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

Thanks again!

That doesn't sound right to me, about twice as wide as it should be. Possibly should be 70mm outer 40mm inner and 14mm wide. Can't see the stub axle being only 14mm either.

Ian

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
some one on here maybe able to help Link Removed
there tecs are on all the time

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
You could speak to AS Suspension of Warrington. When they did the air suspension on my van which has an ALKO chassis they had to change a wheel bearing which they sourced within the hour.

They may be able to point you in the right direction

Lunarman

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've had some odd bearings from this company, including crankshaft bearings for an Italian 15cc model aircraft engine.
give them either the bearing reference number (stamped on the bearing race edge) or the exact dimensions.

Wolds Engineering Services Ltd.
2 Salter road
Eastfield
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
YO11 3UZ
Tel 01723 586501

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.