Urgent help please collected new home from Strasbourg (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
My start to Motorhoming is not going well!!! My wife and I were due to collect a new N&B arto 79f from Strasbourg this week, firstly my mother in law had a major stroke on Saturday so my wife has had to stay in UK, so I'm on my own never driven any m/home yet alone a near 5 tonne 8 metre one.
Coming back pass Nancy today my navigation and rear camera have died (it's a Zenec system) I have reached the aire at Mareiul sur Ay tonight but really need the system working, already had close shave down narrow lane. I stopped and bought
some tools and removed panel by drivers left knee then pulled each fuse (about 20) but all look good. Any ideas please? Pretty stressed at the moment as my wife has just phoned to say mum has taken a turn for the worst and is not expected to last very long, I need to get back ASAP.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Andy

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I can't add anything but send you moral support.

Get home safe - even if it means putting van into temp storage and you getting train / bus / flight and going back for the van. But I am sure if you stick to main roads / motorway you will be fine. Before the days of sat nav I used to write down my route and approx miles to waypoints - every couple of hours travel I would stop to have a break and review my route and progress.

A note written on the back of your hand of the next junction / town is also a help :)

Main thing is not to panic. Is there someone who could go and keep your wife company until you get home?

PS This sounds awful cruel but family experience tells me that after a massive stroke it' a kindness when nature takes it's toll.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Thanks again for kind words and your so right little things get blown out of proportion when stressed, if it was a car I wouldn't worry.

@Judge Mental Third party cover came from my contact in Rotterdam and was about €230 for 5 days. I struggled to get damage cover but eventually got it from a Lloyds underwriter but sit down before you read how much it cost:

To cover motorhome value at £85000 they wanted £1700 for 30 days.
Yes you read that right.
Even the underwriter said "I don't why you are bothering the risk is very small" but couldn't really answer when I said so why are you charging so much.
I agreed an excess of £10000 and that brought it down to £750.
I know many of you wouldn't have bothered but I'm one of life's individuals that if shit is going to happen it will happen to me and didn't want to risk having a total loss of £85k, £10k would hurt but not as much.
Factored all into my decision to import and still quids in.
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Andy.
Sorry I can't be of help but really the problems are small compared with you getting home safely and supporting your good Lady.
Forget it for tonight, study the route in the morning and use your mirrors and map or your downloaded satnav.
You would have something to panic about if it was a mechanical fault with the engine it isn't so get a good nights sleep and enjoy your drive back in the morning.
I know that's easy to say from here in Somerset but that's my advice for what it's worth.

Regards. Pete

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Damn! Life is a right b***h sometimes. I wish you well on your journey home to support and comfort your wife.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
If you are on the aire suggested above then you are close to Reims. Forget the MH just find a safe place for it (a proper campsite) dump it and get a flight home from Reims. My very best wishes and good luck.

Edit. Do you have RAC cover or the like? If so they should help.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Andy, go to bed, try to get some sleep :sleep:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Right taken some of your advice got a few hours kip and now up early to just head to Calais for the Tunnel. Thought this is probably quicker than even trying to get flight. The van will have to get sorted at home somehow other things more important.
Thanks again

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Glad to hear you got some sleep. Each step now is a step closer to home. Hope you get back to your wife ok. Safe travels.

There is an app called HERE maps, once you d/l it you can use it offline, handy for the future.

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Good luck for your journey home. Although time may be of the essence right now, try not to rush it too much, better to get there without incident. I hope things work out as best possible for your family at this difficult time.

Upvote 0

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
I have the Zenec unit like yours. There's not another small switch anywhere for it is there? I wired my ignition input (the unit has permanent 12v and switched ignition) to a small switch next to cup holder so I can have the unit on without ignition on. Also wired from Hab battery. To get the unit out is dead easy if you need to. Small trim tool at bottom.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Let us know you got to ferry OK.
Hope journey not too stressful.

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@ANDY400R
Don't know where you are in Essex, but as I live there too, if you want anything (like running about by car to hosp or something), give me a bell. I've sent you a PM/Conversation with my mobile number.

Hope you got to Calais and onward ok. Thinking of you, wife and MIL

Reg's
James

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Thanks guys and gals I am euro tunnel now awaiting boarding the 12.20.

Unfortunately MIL didn't make it and passed away around 7.00am this morning.
Will post again when home and sorted out arrangements etc. thanks for your help it made me feel that although I was on my own that I wasn't, if you know what I mean.

Upvote 0
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
So sorry to hear your news and can only imagine how stressful this has been for you.
Wishing you a safe journey home and love to you and your family at this sad time
Bridget x

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@ANDY400R
Don't know where you are in Essex, but as I live there too, if you want anything (like running about by car to hosp or something), give me a bell. I've sent you a PM/Conversation with my mobile number.

Hope you got to Calais and onward ok. Thinking of you, wife and MIL

Reg's
James
Andy sorry to hear your news , it is lovely to see how people rally round to help when a funster is in need @wingman's offer is such a kind one. Once all the future events are over I hope you can enjoy your new van.
Condolences to your family.

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
its 12:30 now so you sould be in the tunnel, youl feel much beter when your on home soil.

sorry for your lose.

Upvote 0

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I echo everything said in the previous 5 posts. All the best.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
It really is encouraging to know when a Funster is in a sticky situation there are other funsters out there helping along the way, gives you an extra layer of confidence when travelling. Sorry to hear your MIL passed away condolences to your wife and self.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hi just a quick update on my situation.

I just want to thank so many of you for your support and help when I was at a low ebb last week it really made a difference to me.

After making the Eurotunnel crossing and joining the M20 I crashed down heavily into one of the many potholes that litter that section of the Motorway and low and behold the Navigation screen fired into life. Looks like @Popeye may have been right with his diagnosis, no wonder I couldn't find a blown fuse. Still trying to sort out Mums (MIL) affairs and funeral so will look at motorhome after this.
Thanks again.
Andy

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just caught up with this thread again.

I am sorry to hear of your loss but sometimes it is all for the best when you look back. Hope that the funeral arrangements are not too difficult and the estate and affairs are easy to settle.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back