Urgent help please collected new home from Strasbourg

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by ANDY400R, Mar 9, 2016.

1. ANDY400R

ANDY400R Funster

My start to Motorhoming is not going well!!! My wife and I were due to collect a new N&B arto 79f from Strasbourg this week, firstly my mother in law had a major stroke on Saturday so my wife has had to stay in UK, so I'm on my own never driven any m/home yet alone a near 5 tonne 8 metre one.
    Coming back pass Nancy today my navigation and rear camera have died (it's a Zenec system) I have reached the aire at Mareiul sur Ay tonight but really need the system working, already had close shave down narrow lane. I stopped and bought
    some tools and removed panel by drivers left knee then pulled each fuse (about 20) but all look good. Any ideas please? Pretty stressed at the moment as my wife has just phoned to say mum has taken a turn for the worst and is not expected to last very long, I need to get back ASAP.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Andy

2. big map

big map Funster Life Member

I'm sorry I can't help, but someone will be along soon who can. All best wishes for a safe journey home.

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Have you not got a road atlas? It should be main roads all the way to whatever port you are using. Can't see why you are using lanes, the satnav might of course be set to shortest distance.

Worst case find a big store and buy a cheap Garmin or TomTom but a road atlas will be cheaper.

Edit: just realised you are on an aire, hence the lanes. I suggest just motorway service areas from now on!

• Like Like x 3
  4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

forget fixing the satnav today, download a free satnav app for your phone to help getting home quick

sorry to hear about your MIL and you need to be with your wife to support her. Sadly been through it in our own family

• Like Like x 3
  5. ANDY400R

ANDY400R Funster

Thanks for your suggestions, I hadn't thought about downloading an app so I shall do that and try to not get into any reversing situations.
    Would still like to hear from anyone that may know how to fix it.

Andy

6. ANDY400R

ANDY400R Funster

Sat navs not working that's the problem, only using lanes in error, trying to stare at iphone map without reading glasses, very easy to make mistake.

• Like Like x 1
  7. maz

maz Funster

Don't know anything about satnavs but the general rule of reversing a large vehicle is 'If in doubt, get out'. A quick look behind then reverse a bit more. When my reversing camera stopped working I was in and out like a fiddler's elbow. :)

Good luck on your journey home. (y)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. wingman

wingman Funster

Andy, just concentrate on the road and driving. Easy for me to say sitting here BUT, your priority is to get home SAFELY. If you have a bump, it will delay you even more.

As has been said; download something for your phone. The reason for getting a map, is not to read whilst you are driving, but to give you a rough idea of what to head for. Navigating over there is all about heading for large towns and joining the dots. Stick to motorways, even though this means paying tolls.

Best of luck, just take it easy.
    Someone else may well be along on the forum to give you a route.

Hope the MIL rallies around.
    James

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Maybe something as simple as a reset on the rear of the unit.......have a look for a small hole and insert something to reset...........i know older tom toms had these.
    Hope you get sorted.

Just read troubleshooting...."Zenec" If unit not powering up

1 check car battery fuse
    2 check car radio fuse
    3 press reset button

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  10. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

That was my first thought. I know nothing technical except - first rule of thumb: switch off, wait a bit, switch on again. I've had to use this twice in the last couple of days, once for a wired-in fire alarm system, once for broadband after a power cut, worked both times.
    Testing times for you and your wife Andy. Good luck, safe journey, hoping for the best for your MIL.

11. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Use the motorways.
    Make a list of the places you want to head for, these should be signposted over the motorways.
    Tolls may cost, but this might be the easiest way.
    I solo myself abroad so I know what it's like.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

@ANDY400R Any joy with your troubles.

Let us know what model the unit is and may be able to find trouble shooting for your spesific unit.

13. ANDY400R

ANDY400R Funster

It's a built in all singing all dancing model

I've tried turning ignition off and waiting, turning control panel off and on nothing, nada, dead. The only Fiat manual I have is in French so not helping to locate any more fuses to check. On top of that my wifi connection here had just terminated can't get it back, relying on weak 3 g signal.

14. ANDY400R

ANDY400R Funster

Sorry model is as follows
    Zenec ZE 3715

15. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Andy, have you contacted the people you collected the MH from? You must be under warranty, can they send someone or put you in touch with someone who can help?

16. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Hi Andy, I bought my Frankia brand new 11 months ago and the sat nav and rear camera were off and on for the first week or so.

I removed the unit from the dash and the main incoming power feed (Yellow cable) mail/female bullet connection was not pushed all the way home making a connection on every bump in the road.

Best of luck............Griff

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

From Strasbourg A4 to Metz, then up through Luxembourg, Namur , Tournai, Lille, Dunquerke, Calais.

Pretty well all motorway and no tolls.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ANDY400R

ANDY400R Funster

Yeah spoke to them about 6pm and they emailed me back saying take it to a dealer in Nancy, that's about 3 hours back in the wrong direction to where I am. Sent an email stating this but no reply I reckon they have finished for the night.

• Like Like x 2
  19. ANDY400R

ANDY400R Funster

Thanks Griff not sure I am upto taking apart dash, but it could be something like that. I just want to get home to the missus she is having a tough time.

20. Imbiber

Imbiber Funster Life Member

If you're on the Aire at Mareuil sur Ay you need to head for Ay then onto Dizzy using the D111 / D1. At Dizy take the D951 for Reims. Then A4 - A26 all the way back to Calais. About 180 miles. Forget non toll routes it seems matters are urgent so suck up the Class 4 charges and get home toute-suite!

• Like Like x 4