Urgent help please - anyone speak dutch!!! (1 Viewer)

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi,

Mental last minute request please!!!

Someone has just accepted my offer of 9000 euros for this - but I can't get through on the number he has listed on his ad. He say's he will accept my offer to collect but I need to pay cash only.

Broken Link Removed

The number listed keeps coming up with "not recognised" even though I am dialling 003113..........then the number......

As I am trying to communicate via google translate it's a bit difficult.

I will need to take my daughter, the dog, and get the train down to Harwich and then across to Holland, if we leave tomorrow morning with overnight sailing we could be there Thursday to collect.

Anyone got any thoughts, as I don't want to go through all that if it's a scam, but to me, it looks a decent price and worth the effort involved.

Thanks you guys! ::bigsmile:

(Okay he's sent me the correct number now, but I still need a dutch speaker to phone him for me please?)

Last edited:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Well done from me to, I salute you, enjoy the hotel another adventure tomorrow , take care, and have a safe journey.:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Drove as far as Rotterdam City Centre, and checked into a rather nice hotel to enjoy a good dinner and nice sleep

My hat is taken off to you.

Yes they are big, they never get smaller and you will clip wing mirrors now and then especially in places like the Lake District.

Did you get the heat going ?

You don't worry about rain now, you're not in a tent.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
You've a lovely old bus to drive. Bit slow to accelerate but no problems once up to speed. Just conserve momentum and it's surprising how much ground you'll cover in a stress-free manner.

Rotterdam isn't such a bad place to stay. I was in the Novotel there a few weeks ago following a cancelled BA flight.

Hats off to you, young lady. :thumb:

Safe travels.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It's like a reality forum, following this..

I now know what it must have been like for all those who followed the Morocco 2013 thread and said they awaited the updates and to get their daily fix... ::bigsmile:
I'm glad you now appreciate the "mental torture" you "Moroccon lot" put us through on a daily basis Steve. :roflmto:

Pinkie, Poppy, and and the family Labradoodle, I hope you've all had a good night followed by a decent breakfast, and are looking forward to hitting the road.

Poppy, it won't be long before you are navigating for Mum......from what is known as "the suicide seat" once you hit Blighty again. It took Rita some time to get used to close encounters with oncoming trucks and coaches. :roflmto: Motorways and dual carriageways are a breeze, ie, you're all going in the same direction. :winky:

Have a great journey home, and hopefully you won't come up against and typically British "red tape". You can then start planning adventures for you all in "your" new MH. :thumb:

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita. :Smile:

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Just 4 days ago Pinkie asked for help on a forum where she had no connection.
Within hours not only was she being bombarded with GENUINE offers of help and advice but had built up a following, (including me!)
It was very comforting to know so many people are out there and that in this day and age there are still good Samaritans.

Just go back to her original post and see what a madcap plan she had in her head :ROFLMAO:but she achieved what she set out to do.:Eeek:
Good on yer Pinkie, what a gutsy lady you are. How about a book??

The Adventures of Pinkie.

VOL 1: Pinkie, Poppy and the Labradoodle go to Holland to buy a Motorhome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
Well! I'm new to the forum and new to the motorhome scene as well! We just bought our Rapido 700 a week ago.

But I have just read this thread and I can't believe all of this has happened in just four days!

Pinkie you are an inspiration to all single mums out there! But the support shown from everyone on this forum as been amazing!

I am a big forum fan.......I run a support forum for people, like me who suffer from an unusual auto-immune disease. I know how helpful people are and how many friends can be found on forums. But your help to Pinkie and family has been magnificent. I know she could have done it on her own but with your support she must ave found it so much easier!

Well done Pinkie, you are an inspiration!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Badly Parked and wouldn't start!

They were very nice comments I just read above, and you are totally right about what a great and friendly forum this is, and how genuinely kind and helpful people have been.

Certainly it has made it SO MUCH easier for me in doing this, although of course, I would have done it anyway.

So when I checked into my hotel last night I pulled up off the main road into a layby for the valet to park it, off course I was also sticking out and half blocking a lane on the main road too, I did blame the nasty couple in the Mercedes in front of me who were unloading their luggage, they could have moved their car up as they had a big car's length in front of them, but they just turned and looked at me and walked off.

I left the lights on (due to heavy traffic) and checked in giving the keys to the valet, about 35 mins later, I was called because they couldn't start the van.

It has a silly black pin thing you have to connect with a thing on the dash - immobiliser thing? I couldn't start it with this either, but the seller say's if you don't start it quickly enough it won't work.

I went back to the van and tried it repeatedly - nothing. The receptionist tried, the valet tried, nothing.................the other receptionist mentioned she had one on her car and said you have to leave it connected a while.................the receptionist came and tried again, and again, and he doesn't know how he did it but it worked!

So, (just getting up now, great night's sleep after a few celebration vino's last night!!!!)

Got to get Charlie-Brown to the vet for his jab. and have brekkie! :winky:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
It is all a learning curve, I do hope the van started ok this morning after leaving the lights on all night. So the trip continues, good luck we are all there with you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi all,

Been driving around all afternoon....................

Let me recap, the van apparently had both batteries broken, absolutely dead as a dodo, a sort of A.A. guy came and tested them, I had insurance but couldn't be bothered phoning the insurance company and said I'd just pay the euros 150, as it turned out he helpfully didn't charge me because he didn't have his receipt book to take the money!

He checked his map and found me a Kwik Fit that would have big enough batteries, gave me very clear directions, but after driving for probably 1.5 hours, 2 teenagers sent me another way, and I finally got there at 20 to 5pm! Just in time before the closed. (We went back past our hotel, our starting point 2 hours earlier and his directions had been perfect, except he got his left and right confused!)

So 360 euros down, but 150 saved, if you are still following!

I didn't leave the lights on all night only for about 20 mins, it was just the batteries were broken.

The van is going great now, I just headed out to Hook of Holland, but Charlie-Brown didn't get to the vet, so unless we can call the vet and get an emergency service somehow tomorrow, we will be stuck here until Tuesday, which is a bit of a bummer.

So we are going to sleep in the van tonight, managed to get a duvet today and looking forward to it, a nice hotel owner here said it wouldn't be a problem for a night or so, people do it all the time. (Although I thought I had read you weren't allowed, she said no it's fine!)

Noticed a couple of lights don't work either, but I took his word for that and didn't check, so my fault really for not being thorough enough.

It's been a hell of a day, but we have mostly solved the problems and will get other bits sorted out on the way.

:thumb:

Upvote 0

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
Well done Pinkie, your first night on board, what an exciting time for you! We had our first night in our Rapido last week and, despite a catastrophe with the 12 V system (but that's another story:RollEyes:) and therefore no lights etc, we loved it! We had a romantic candle lit dinner and an early night.

Did you get to a vet? And how did you get over with a pooch as a paw passenger? Or was he in a kennel on the boat like North Sea Ferries?

What an adventure:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Leaving the bar with internet access...........off for a pizza now.

We can't work the heater on the van and it has just started POURING DOWN - sod's law isn't it?!!

We don't care though, it will be fun. Not sure if we will have lights/anything but will all pile into bed anyway.

(Dogs as foot passengers are only allowed via the Harwich/Hoek van Holland route) not by Newcastle, that's why we had to spend a day on a train to London.

Will catch up with you guys tomorrow...................it couldn't ALL go so smoothly, so probably have to hang about until Tuesday as we need to wait 24 hours after his injection before we go home. Then it's going to be a mad 1.5 week rush to try and get MOT and DVLA registration to comply with my insurance.

Let's not discuss DVLA here and now, that's going to be another story, I know what THEY are like! :Angry:

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We can't work the heater

You can always run the engine to get the MH warm, if your Mercedes has it fitted there might be a 'res' button on the heater, this carries on using engine heat to warm cab area at least when engine is turned off

David

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Pizzeria shut just as we were getting there!!!!

Got a takeaway and back at bar for a minute while I knock back a quick final glass of vino!!! I had to wait for the pizza and Poppy couldn't come in with Charlie-Brown so they went back to the bar!

Tired and excited, hope no more adventures for one night, but being deaf and tired.............I can sleep through most things! :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Pinke sooo proud of your attiidude things problems are thought through and solutions found, you are making life fun for you and your daughter , it's so easy to sit at home feeling sorry for yourself, you have been like a ray of sunshine.

Safe journey home, and let your next adventures begin. xx

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
What a day - it has chucked it down in a flooding way, no heat! Tried 3 campsites 2 closed, other no dogs so still in a car park. Charlie-brown at vets tomorrow and off to uk tues afternoon!

Icy cold toes here but hey-ho!

Pinkie

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
My old Dutch

Well Pinkie you have provided a nail biting thread since last week. We are all with you and wish you the best, you certainly have steel b*lls better than me girl,I gave up the at the first fence (insurance)with the direct import business.:thumb:

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Pinkie dont know exactly where you are but if near Amsterdam head for the camper city stop we stayed there 2 weeks ago ideal for the city and loads of room

Address
Papaverweg 50
Noord 4, 1032 KJ Amsterdam

GPS
N 52°23.908’
E 4°54.006’

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Incredible response to this thread yet the topic has been lost in these many interesting off topic posts. I still have no idea if the lady purchased the van or not. Can somebody help with the detail. Did all go well or not. Has she now returned from Holland with or without the van did the dog jump overboard. Was she kidnapped by Romanian gipsies or did it all end happily ever after.
Please don't make me read all 20+ pages.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back