Urgent help please - anyone speak dutch!!! (1 Viewer)

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi,

Mental last minute request please!!!

Someone has just accepted my offer of 9000 euros for this - but I can't get through on the number he has listed on his ad. He say's he will accept my offer to collect but I need to pay cash only.

Broken Link Removed

The number listed keeps coming up with "not recognised" even though I am dialling 003113..........then the number......

As I am trying to communicate via google translate it's a bit difficult.

I will need to take my daughter, the dog, and get the train down to Harwich and then across to Holland, if we leave tomorrow morning with overnight sailing we could be there Thursday to collect.

Anyone got any thoughts, as I don't want to go through all that if it's a scam, but to me, it looks a decent price and worth the effort involved.

Thanks you guys! ::bigsmile:

(Okay he's sent me the correct number now, but I still need a dutch speaker to phone him for me please?)

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Engine Trouble!!!!

Well was just showing someone the van and tried to start it, the same thing again - doesn't do a thing!

Is there any way 2 new batteries can be depleted of charge in a few days? I switched all the electric off, so I can't think what the problem could be.

Anyone got any ideas on what could be happening here?

Okay, I shall be away for the next week but will need to get the mot after that and drive it somewhere, should I just have a battery charger on the van at all times, or is there a possible explanation?

Thanks guys!!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Pinkie
On our van, a Laika, you have to start the engine nearly as soon as you use the fob to open the doors, if I forget then I just sit in the drivers seat lock the van with the fob then unlock put the key in the ignition and start the van, worth trying. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Pinkie, it's up to you but if you do not get enough response on the engine /battery problem I would start another thread on it, would be a shame to miss some good input because your question gets missed.

Have a good trip to Italy, I look forward to your posts when you get back.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Well was just showing someone the van and tried to start it, the same thing again - doesn't do a thing!

Is there any way 2 new batteries can be depleted of charge in a few days? I switched all the electric off, so I can't think what the problem could be.

Anyone got any ideas on what could be happening here?
Hi Pinkie,

Same advice as from Carol, ie, start a new thread to attract the techies amongst us, but it does sound like there is a constant discharge, or a short on the new batteries. Not good. :Sad:

The very best of luck with the problem, :thumb:

Jock & Rita.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Recharge the batteries then disconnect live on both enjoy your week away

Find the fault on your return

Enjoy your trip

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Pinkie

Good advice and timing is of the essence here.

I know you are madly rushing round to get off to Italy, but if the batteries are genuinely flat (as opposed to some other problem that's stopping it starting), then it is important to get them recharged as soon as possible. Completely draining a battery is bad for it. Leaving it for any length of time in a discharged state compounds the problem.

If you can borrow a battery charger & get it on the engine battery before you go, even if it's only for a few hours, it will be worth it. Don't go away & leave it on charge unless you know it's a battery charger that is suitable for long term connection - many of them are not.

As the others said, if you haven't already, start a new thread when you get back. There are a whole raft of connected (excuse the pun) issues here - a flat battery will be the symptom of a problem rather than the problem itself. Multiple battery systems get connected in a variety of different ways!

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Dutch

Hi, I'm half Dutch and am pretty fluent although don't have much use for the language these days. Firstly the phone number should have '1' between the two 00s

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi Dawn,

Thanks for that - but if you read a bit further, you would realise I got the help I needed.

Thanks though!

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You need to test the alternator. New batteries won't mean a thing if the alternator is shot - and this is usually the reason for replacing the batteries as alternators over or under charging as they fail, kill off batteries.

You need a voltmeter (around a fiver) or know someone who has one. If you are unsure, do what an ex of mine used to do and play the dumb blonde at a garage or tyre outlet and they may do it for you. She always blagged it for free - but you may need to part with a fiver or something.

You need to get the thing running, and test the battery for charging -should be 14.5v.

Then go to the alternator - on the back will be two bolted connections - one covered is live, the other is earth. Doesn't matter if you get them back the front - it will just read backwards (minus) The reading will be 14.5v

If you are reading less (say 12v) then the alternator is shot, 13.5 and it is on it's way out, and may not be able to charge two batteries - but could cope with one for a indeterminate emergency period.

If it is 14.5v on the alternator, and considerably less on the battery then you have an issue with the charge relay or charge system on the van.

NOTE: If you have had the vehicle running for a long period, voltage at the battery may drop as the split charge kicks in and charges the leisure battery. The split charge should not kick in until a set time or voltage is reached on the engine battery to recover from starting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
WOW, that is great information, thanks so much for all the detail, really useful to know! ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My Hymer is an automatic and I am so absent minded I sometimes think my batteries or starter motor have died because it won't start or even turn over.

Then I put the gear lever into P or N and it starts perfectly!

JJ :Cool:

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings Waggasteve,

Welcome to the Forum,

Just for the H*ll of it, you should read this thread, thread to needle.
It will give you an idea of what you have found. A forum full of people where total strangers will go out of their way to help, give advice, put themselves out, all in the name of motorhoming.

Upvote 0

WaggaSteve

Free Member
Mar 11, 2014
Angola & Trebes
Funster No
MH
VW LT 28 - 1983
Exp
Thank you

Greetings Waggasteve,

Welcome to the Forum,

Just for the H*ll of it, you should read this thread, thread to needle.
It will give you an idea of what you have found. A forum full of people where total strangers will go out of their way to help, give advice, put themselves out, all in the name of motorhoming.

I agree, its great and has a very helpful attitude, and am slowly working my way through - but what happened to Pinkie ??

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I agree, its great and has a very helpful attitude, and am slowly working my way through - but what happened to Pinkie ??

Sorry mate,

That's the penance you have to pay for taking so long to find this forum.
Note to the Beekeeper, Keep him in suspense. I'd put a 'Smilie' here but my machine is working to rule.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back