Urgent help needed with electrics (2 Viewers)

Mattie

Free Member
Nov 8, 2009
Funster No
Hello,

I am fairly new to this forum (my second post) and have not used my new motorhome (new to me but an old 1991Frankia on a Toyota chassis) since I bought it at the end of November. I would very much like to take it away for a week in two weeks time. I was trying to get familiar at the weekend with how all worked but I cannot get the lights on now (they did when I bought it). I took it for a run to recharge the leisure battery but I don’t know if I have got the buttons in the correct position as I have pressed all of them – yes you can call me clueless woman. It has a Schaudt EBL 164.3 and no idea of how the thing works. I have contacted Schaudt and replied immediately with a wiring diagram for the one in the Franly and also with a drawing of the front of an earlier version in case it could help me. But allof it is in German, sent in Pdf format and no way of getting google to translate it. Can any body please help? I took it last weekend for a good one and a half hour run as I said but still the lights wouldn’t come on, although I though that would have charged the leisure battery.
Many thanks for your help.
Mattie

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Mattie
What part of the coutry are you in? I'm sure if you are near to a funster they wouldnt mind having a look. If your near to Dartford in Kent then I will pop over and we can be clueless together :ROFLMAO: Only joking I would get OH to come with me. When we first go a van I was inside trying to turn the lights on shouting to OH theres no electric and nothing is coming on - Took us 15 mins to realise I had to press something on the panel to enable everything to work in the van:Doh: I'm sure someone will be on with the technical term shortly.

Hope you get it sorted

Sonja

Upvote 0

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Had a similar problem where the battery was charged - left it for a few weeks & it came up as discharged & wouldn't charge from the van's system. Removed the leisure battery, topped up the levels & charged it on my optimate charger. Never had a problem since. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Electrics

Hi Mattie

The best option is a vist from a local funster.....but we have a Schaudt ELB in our rig. It is connected to a control panel, over the hab. door....do you have this set up?

If yes, does the control panel consist of two dials, and switches in a line, under the dials.

If so, one will be the on/off switch forr the 12volt system, hopefully it is in the off position. Switch on and you may be OK.

The Schaudt unit, recieves the mains supply, through a charger/regulator, when on EHU (electric hook up) and charges the leisure batteries, but only provides a trickle charge to the starter battery, it also supplies all the 12 volt services to your unit. Another point, if the leisure battery voltage drops to (I think) 11 volts, the ELB will disconnect all 12 volt services to protect the battery or batteries. This could have hapened if the leisure batteries are discharged.

So it could be the leisure batteries need charging, if they are flooded lead acid, they need to be checked for water level, and also checked with a hygrometer for their state of charge. If they are sealed batteries, then they need testing before charging, you could at best just have to flick a switch, or at worst, need new leisure batteries.

With no EHU, and with the 12 volt system switched on, the discharge meter, on the control panel, should indicate the voltage discharge, if its below 11, then a recharge is required, if it is higher, then switching on lights and the water pump (only if water in tank) will put a higher drain on the battery, which will be indicated on the dial, and give an indication of their state.

I hope this makes sense, and does not confuse, just keep asking until its in order, ready for your fist trip.

Nomadic:thumb:

Upvote 0

Terry and Nicola

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Thornton
Funster No
MH
Exp
hi

HI Mattie
We had a 1991Frankia on a ducato 560 i think. 5 birth one .i do recall that somtimes lights would not work so to make them work on the zig unit 2 switchs one had to be one way and one the outher you will have to play with them i hope you under stand this .i also had 2 leisure batteries on a two way switch for them .so if one off the leisure batteries was flat you would have no power until you switch to the 2nd battery.poss need to check leisure batteries are ok

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
flat leasure battery

Hi Mattie,You will have to buy a battery charger,no way would driving for an hour and half,recharge your leasure battery,your starter battery maybe but not the leasure,in this weather,its better to take battery indoors if not being used and trickle charge every month.
I may be completely wrong but thats what it sounds like,as for the switches,dont know your vehicle but switch everything to off,then put 12v ON,then try individual light switch,incase you haven't turned on there or bulbs blown/died ?
Let us know please. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back