Urgent advice required, inflatable boat on roof? (1 Viewer)

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi,

I have an old Mitsubishi L300 Pioneer Motorhome. I am planning to go away this weekend and trying to get an early start tomorrow as soon as I finish work as its poets day!

I want to take my Avon Redstar/start (one of the two but I can't remember which) I think it's 8 or 9 feet and will go on the roof easily enough, I haven't got any rooflights or solar panels or any roof furniture.

Having had a bit of a play I figure it would be easy enough to sling it on the roof if the boat is the right way up, more difficult upside down because of the rising front on the boat and the rowlocks which are hard plastic and would stop the boat from sitting flat on the roof. Two main problems I can forsee, one would be if it rains I could end up with a tonne of water on the roof! The other would be the boat trying to get airborne and making my van fly!

I guess I can pick up a cheap tarpaulin from b&q to wrap it in to stop it filling with water and turn it backwards to stop it from trying to lift too much. What does everyone think, good idea or worst idea ever, I really don't want to have to keep inflating it everytime I want to throw it in the loch for half an hour. If you think it's a good idea do you think I should push my luck and throw the outboard motor inside the boat as well?

Be kind!

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Do you have drain plugs or a removable transom?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Make sure you tie/rachet it down well :thumb: It will create a lot of lift.I would use rachet straps and check it after a couple of miles.ENGINE IN BACK OF VAN UNTIL CONFIDENT THE BOAT IS GOING TO TRAVEL SAFE-If it rains it will blow out once it gets to a level ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I think I am going to deflate and chuck it in the back. It's almost as much hassle putting it on the roof and tieing it down as it is inflating and deflating it, I have an electric pump so that ought to make it easier.

On the plus side I have been mystified for two weeks as the leisure batteries were draining in days. Happy to find out that I had left the bathroom light on!

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Having seen the weather forecasts, that is what I call going prepared.

You must have been in the scouts.

Dib dib dib.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Dunno what youre on about. The forecast looks pretty good for the weekend. A few scattered showers but mostly dry, a bit overcast but im sure we will get a few sunny spells. That might keep the midges at bay I suppose. Oh I just realised youre probably in England. We've had a nice few days up in the north of Scotland. Temperature has been in double figures for most of June and July looks like being as warm. ;-)

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I would tie it on the underside of your motorhome then when you hit the floods float home save fuel :thumb: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

All the best have a great weekend

Rick

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I'm heading up to Plockton and the north west coast of Scotland. Judging by the forecast maps I think I will be in the driest area of the U.K.

If it floods whilst I am away I can always go home in the boat!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
No drain plugs but yes to a removable transom.

If you can inflate it without the transom when it is on top any water will drain out when driving Just make sure you are not towing a convertaible car!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back