Rally Chat Upton Blues Festival FUN FIELD Update! (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Is anyone going to Upton Blues this year? Saw that @Brisey & a few others managed to get pitched together last year (y) & wondered if there are any plans for trying to do this again this year?
Know that the organisers won't allocate areas in the camping field due to the logistics involved & no discounts possible which is understandable as run by volunteers & profits go to local good causes.
Our son may be on work experience all summer in that area so this festival may be another good excuse for us to see him?! :hi:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Was going but youngest daughter has thrown a spanner in the works she is coming home (from Thailand) to get married in July.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We had a great time at the Upton Blues Festival last year.
As you have rightly said parking is not organised by any means.
The phrase " if you want to park together, arrive together" certainly applies at this event.
However the 6 metres between vehicles does not apply here, leave too big a gap between your vehicles and you may well find that someone has moved in between you on your return.
Brisey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I've said I'd love to do it one year but it clahes with Terrys meet.

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
Have booked Norfolk. I was there last year, and really enjoyed it. We have no meets and then they all start to clash.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the heads up Joy @movan but like @Debs it clashes with Terry's meet - although I'm only on the reserve list so there could be a last minute swerve if that list doesn't clear...

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Yes it does seem to shine. I meet up with friends I only see every blue moon there... I love it. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're thinking about going but not decided yet.

The phrase " if you want to park together, arrive together" certainly applies at this event.
However the 6 metres between vehicles does not apply here

Both of those things apply in the campervan fields at every music festival I've ever been to (y)

For anyone that doesn't know if you want to be parked up with your friends you've got to go through the gates together. Saving spaces for someone to park in later just isn't going to happen. The marshals have got far better things to worry about. Also if you're meeting up with people so you can arrive together you need to meet a fair distance away from the site, preferably at a proper service area. You won't be allowed to wait at the side of the road anywhere near the site. Depending on the size of the festival there might be a couple of thousand vans trying to get into the campervan field plus many many more cars heading for the car parks. The queues are bad enough with out you causing an obstruction waiting for your mate (y)

Finally it's a festival campervan field, it's not a campsite and it's definitely not a rally field. Don't expect it to be like one, there won't be neat rows and uniform gaps, there won't be lots of nice services. The van parked next to you, probably about 3 feet away, probably won't be a motorhome, it will more than likely be a 30 year old Transit with a mattress and 12 hippies in the back. They will party loudly until 5am. Half a dozen portaloos and a couple of under pressured water taps serving 1000 vans is pretty much all you should expect in the way of services. Anything else is a bonus. (y)

This applies to all festivals, not just Upton, and usually the bigger the festival the more it applies. Personally I wouldn't have it any other way (y):D2

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
How far is the camping site from the event itself, thanks.
Understand that it just a short walk over the bridge & into the town but haven't been to this one before - perhaps someone who knows for sure can confirm this?
Update - just confirmed above (y)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thanks janine and wobbles. Checking diary, fancy this one as nothing booked mid July and all of August.
There are plenty of meets as well as rallies in July & August - have a look at Sunshine Festival which is in the same location http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...t-fun-meet-discount-offer-booking-now.144891/ . A bit earlier in same area there's Mello http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...scount-offer-booking-now.146841/#post-2213011 & BunkFest a bit later http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...shire-1-3-september-2017-funster-meet.146262/ . Don't forget Old Bush Blues http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...ust-callow-end-worcester-funster-meet.147027/ too (y) It could be a summer of Fun festivals!

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
It's true as @NickNic mentioned above that camping at some festivals can be a lot more basic than we are used to at rallies but for Sunshine & Mello we have negotiated our own allocated area & hopefully also in a good spot. If we have bookings for 20 pitches at BunkFest official camping we will have the best camping spot just for Funsters although not enough yet so please keep putting your names down! The use of the newly refurbished toilets & showers in the Sports Centre & a free shuttle bus (or just a short walk) to the festival is also included. If enough book the Old Bush Blues camping (again a short walk away from the festival with Sports Centre toilets & showers) then an allocated area may be possible there too. Unfortunately as mentioned before these sort of special arrangements are not possible at Upton Blues but we have heard such good feedback about it as a festival that still sounds like a good option. It's unusual for dogs to be allowed at festival campsites but Upton Blues, Sunshine & Old Bush Blues do allow them.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The camping at Upton Blues last year was well organised and quite regimented, nice straight rows (not to CC standards though) and decent spaces between units. A good bank of portaloos and showers with some queueing at peak times, but on the whole, fairly civilised.
The nearest venues were at the marina, same side of the river as the campsite and the Plough Inn pub straight after the bridge, both probably within a couple of hundred yards of the camping.
I've been to festivals where I've had to move guy ropes just to get in my van door.(y)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
The camping at Upton Blues last year was well organised and quite regimented, nice straight rows (not to CC standards though) and decent spaces between units. A good bank of portaloos and showers with some queueing at peak times, but on the whole, fairly civilised.
The nearest venues were at the marina, same side of the river as the campsite and the Plough Inn pub straight after the bridge, both probably within a couple of hundred yards of the camping.
I've been to festivals where I've had to move guy ropes just to get in my van door.(y)
Good to hear that the campsite at Upton Blues is civilised (y)

DLT

Sep 2, 2013
pencoed
Funster No
MH
swift c/built
Exp
Will be in Scotland sorry

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Last bump before we head off to the bright lights :sun:of the NEC Show. Will try to keep bumping this thread on our return so anyone interested might spot it as it would be good if there are a few of us :hi5: even if it doesn't end up being a proper meet or rally.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We plan to be there. Looking forward especially to The Official Receivers soul band and Steve Ajao.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back